Octoberfest Lager | Central Waters Brewing Co.

good

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by cdkrenz on 12-09-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 57 | Ratings: 186

Another new one from Berkshire for me. I have had so many of their offerings when I stumble upon a new one I am always shocked. Served cold and poured into a tall pilsner glass, this one was consumed on 10/19/2009.

Nice pour with a golden and pale straw color coming through right away with loads of carbonation bubbling up toward the surface. Head of white capped it nicely but faded off very quickly leaving almost nothing in its wake. Light aroma, lots of grain and light bready notes, hints of wheat and a touch of light hops around the edges but nothing really jumping out at me here. The flavor was clean and crisp though, very light and refreshing it drank like water. Light bready flavor accented with a touch of piney hops that really did not go very far at all. It was a quick hitter and the flavor was gone almost before it started. Still more then a decent body on it and drank superb so you cannot really knock it for that.

Overall I thought it was good, just a touch forgettable for me. Needed just that extra little bit to really push it out and over the top.

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%

Updated Impression:
Crystal clear, orange, with thin white head.

Some maltiness to the aroma, but just a glimmer

Taste is slightly sweet up front with a dry minerally finish. There is a hint of soap.

Mouthfeel - some acidic prickle on the lips, cheeks, and tongue.

It's a nice, drinkable clean lager. I'd like to see a little more maltiness in the aroma and flavor, not necessarily sweet, but toasty.

Old Review
This beer falls outside my interpretation of the Octoberfest style. To me, it is more like an off-color pilsner.

Defitely has the festbier color down, it's orange, with a chill haze that clears up as rhw bwwe warms. The white head faded, but it continued to effervesce.

The aroma was initially dominated by a strong, sort of repulsive sulfur smell, sort of cabbagey. The pugency faded, revealing what I believe was a saaz hop aroma, or at least, an aroma that reminded me of a Bohemian pils.

There is a light malty taste, but not the maltiness I associate with an Octoberfest. The body is crisp. The beer is drinkable, but not "festive."

2.68/5  rDev -23.6%

I poured this one from a 12ox brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a bright copper amber color with a thin white head. The head dropped pretty fast and left little lacing. Very clear and nice to look at.

S= The aromas were pretty muted, especially for this style, and I found a bit too much sulfur and mot enough of the classic O-fest maltiness.

T= Things really went downhill in the flavor. Really odd mix of faint maltiness that should have been a lot sweeter and an odd dryness. There were some detectably grassy hops in the background too, which didn't fit the style too well. The worst thing though, was a tiny hint of sourness near the finish. Really strange.

MF= Light side of medium body. Average carbonation and crispness.

D= This was not a very good beer at all. It wasn't a drain pour, but it was a huge disappointment coming from a brewery this good.

2.69/5  rDev -23.4%

I am surprised by how few reviews of this beer there are and then I drank this beer and was surprised by what a poor effort Central Waters put out for their Oktoberfest. It is an attractive beer with its deep amber color and large, long lasting head, but it starts getting poor after that. The aroma is weak with just light notes of musty and cracker like malt. Has no qualities of a Marzen/Oktoberfest. It is more in line with a Munich Helles but that is not saying much for Helles beers. Has a slightly caustic flavor that I do not find appealling. Virtually no hop qualities or bitterness. For a beer with such a deep rich color, it lacks any good flavor. A medium-light body with good carbonation. Nice texture. Did not like this beer very much. Central Waters can do better.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to the eyncognito for this 12 oz bottle. Anyone know if this is the same as the Brewer's Reserve listing?

A: The lagerbier is a bright orange copper color, to bright to be a penny. The narrower base of my glass looks like the bright glow of an early morning sunrise. A finger and a half of head has laced for an entire finger above the top of the beer.

S: The nose has a toasted grain aroma, a combination of pale biscuit and caramel malts. An earthy hop aroma adds a balancing element.

T: The o-fest is a rather dry one, highlighted by a dark bready flavor, almost rye-like (but not quite as peppery). A formidable hop presence matches the malts and the carbonation scrubs the tastebuds with each sip. The only downside comes near the end of each sip, where a vegetal flavor emerges that tastes like a celery stalk. A dry malty flavor returns though, to save the day.

M: The malt body is generally robust but that odd flavor near the finish is unpleasant. Otherwise, this is a malty good brew.

D: I wasn't expecting much, so I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The o-fest has a decent malty flavor that has enough oomph to sustain a chilly Sunday afternoon.

3.18/5  rDev -9.4%

Took this from my parents-in-laws' house... ya they know I am on BA and try to get locally brewed beer for holidays when I am over... oddly enough, very nice of them?!

Poured into a pint glass this brew has a nice amber color that leans to a brownish red in the light. The head is slight and almost unnoticeable. The aroma is very heavily grainy and has a slight yeast smell. The taste isn't quite right as a Marzen style. There is too much of a dry alcohol taste and isn't quite "thirst quenching". A lot of grain and not much hop balance. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad brew, but doesn't seem to fit the style correctly. Could enjoy a few, in fact I did on Christmas Eve, but not what I was expecting for an Octoberfest brew. On the average end of CW brews.

3.82/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

{Update made on 10/21/2008 and will be reflected by placing the updated information in brackets.}

Drinking local beer, and supporting local brewers.

Appearance - Amber in color with a hazy glow. The head faded quickly but started out at about 1/4 inch.
{Very nice lacing as I tip this pint back sip after sip.}

Smell - Malt and grain but the aroma is slight.

Taste - Bready flavor with a spicy midsection. Refreshing.
{The midsection really doesn't have any spice. This is a long malt favor throughout.}

Mouthfeel - Goes down easily with texture on the outsides of the back of my tongue.

~ I really enjoy this brew. Central Waters has a Brewer's Reserve Octoberfest as well. I'd like to give that a try sometime.
{I picked up three growlers on Saturday night from the CW Brewery Kegroom. I tossed the first one back Sunday night and this one I just started tonight. I think I'll be saving my Porter for Friday night. We'll see if it makes it that long.}

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Octoberfest Lager from Central Waters Brewing Co.