Ouisconsing Red Ale | Central Waters Brewing Co.

Ouisconsing Red AleOuisconsing Red Ale
3.55/5
Ouisconsing Red AleOuisconsing Red Ale

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
centralwaters.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-03-2002

3.17/5  rDev -10.7%

Thank you to Jamie for this beer.

A- deep red brown with fluffy white head that leaves good lace on glass

S- Big malts almost oktoberfest like. Bread and oily wood

T- Biscuit and bread malts forward with some lingering hops in the back. a little spicy herbs also tasted

M- very easy drinker. goes down with no problems

O- More like a Oktoberfest IMO. but a solid red ale. not something i would reach for on a regular basis but glad i got to try it.

3.19/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Pours a hazy, rusty amber with a one-finger head that quickly fades to a thin rim of sticky lacing.

S: Subtle flowery nose with suggestions of caramel malt and honey.

T: Smooth and mellow with nut-like notes and hints of biscuit upfront. Aptly balanced between roasted malts and bitter hopping. Taste improves as it warms: caramel sweetness and honey tones eventually surface. Finishes slightly bitter.

Overall profile lacks a distinct personality. Kind of mild-mannered. Not as flavorful, complex, or interesting as other Central Waters' offerings.

M: Medium-boded and well-carbonated.

D: Sessionable, for sure -- just not compelling enough to consume more than one.

3.23/5  rDev -9%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Clear orange amber color. One fingers of frothy white head. Retention is about average and a short ring of lacing is left.

3.0 S: Grainy malts with a light toastiness and a touch of earthy hoppiness. Otherwise, clean without a lot going on.

3.5 T: Like the nose, this is grainy and toasty. A bigger hop presence is found though. Earthy flavor with a moderate bitterness.

3.0 M: Lighter medium to medium body. Upper end of what I want the carbonation to be, but the bigger problem is that it's a bit bity. Otherwise okay.

3.0 D: Solidly average brew. That's about all there is to say.

3.23/5  rDev -9%

After a whirlwind weekend in Milwaukee, I had to stop by my favorite beer store across the state line to stock up on all the lovely brews unavailable in Illinois. I had never had any of Central Brewing's beers before, but I'm a sucker for packaging, and the utilitarian brown cardboard box intrigued me. They had three different ones, if memory serves, and I picked the Ouisconsing Red Ale.

Had a bottle later that night, straight from the neck. Overall...not bad...a bit hoppier than I like my beers, but not overpowering. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but I wouldn't turn one down if somebody offered it to me. I would try other beers from this brewery though.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I poured this beer into a shaker glass, it pours a nice red color with a descent head. There was not much in the way of lacing left on the glass. This beer is neither great nor bad just above average.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

Central Waters Ouisconsing Red Ale, Microbrew for the Microfew, …there's some words on the sides for when I want to cock my head. Let's read it later, as we do. By which I mean me. The royal me.

Clear, amber, small whitish head.

Aroma: malt malt malt. red. sweet, just balanced enough. A kiss of the hops. Right on red ale aromatics.

Taste: There it is again, the malt malt malt, and the sweet, just curbed enough so things don't go awry. Tasty, tasty with the malty malty. Dries out nicely in the finish. Very enjoyable, excellent sessioner. For those searcher for a nice, uncomplicated amber/red that's geared for one-after-another drinkin'….take one of these, and another, please.

Now, let's see what they say: "This smooth amber ale with it's mellow nutty flavor and subtle flowery nose is a hit with even the newest of specialty beer drinkers. Named for the Algonquin word for the Wisconsin river, Ouisconsing Red makes even our neighbors to the west and south "want to be a badger."

So, Minnesota wants to be a badger because of this beer, as well as Illinois and Iowa, but not Michigan or Ontario? Whatever, Wisconsin...WHAT...ever.

3.28/5  rDev -7.6%

I got this bottle in a trade with Grizzly Adams. Thanks Cole!

It pours a hazy red with a 1 finger head of foam that shrinks to a fine layer after a few minutes. It does have some good lacing.

The smell is very light. I just get some roasted malt, some hops, and a sweetish smell.

The taste has roasted/toasted malt and some hop bitterness up front witha slight sourness in thebackground. I like the way the roasted part of this Red Ale works, but the subsequent hoppy bitterness is a bit too grasy and I don't particulary like that sourness, all be it mild, peeking it's head out just before the finish. The finish itself is pretty roasty and that's ok with me. An interesting brew and I'm glad I got to try it but it falls short of some of the Reds I've had.

3.3/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clean and clear copper tinted amber with little spots of head left after an aggressive pour. Scent is malt forward, light caramel with notes of earthy hops. Taste has a few more notes to add... biscuity and caramely malts are the star as the hops lean towards earthy with some flowery qualities. Would have liked the hops kicked up a bit. Overall very lightly sweet with touch of bitterness. Lower side of medium bodied. One of those occasions where nothing in particular about a beer jumped out at me as being completely fantastic nor completely off - just an easy drinker with some flavor.

Ouisconsing Red Ale from Central Waters Brewing Co.