Peruvian Morning | Central Waters Brewing Co.

Peruvian MorningPeruvian Morning

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States

2015 Tap only release

Added by brdc on 01-29-2008

Ratings: 1,447 |  Reviews: 457
3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

A lot going on here. The coffee characteristic is amazing and I am saying that as a non-consumer of offee. Inredible taste for what it is. Good integration of the bourbon. Appearance is dark brown and big lacey. Great aroma. A bit acidic in the finish.SilverX's bottle.
Had another bottle courtesy of Jon and it was just as good, if not smoother.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to UMNbeerhunter for sending me this one! My first beer from Central Waters.

Bottled in February 2011.

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a 1 inch beige head that fades to an oily cap. Random legs of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smells of bourbon, vanilla, wood most prominently with cocoa powder and roasted coffee beans to a lesser extent. Taste is of bourbon, vanilla, wood up front that fades into coffee and cocoa flavors on the finish. There is a slight roasty bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a medium body with a lower carbonation level and a smooth mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good stout with nice bourbon aromas and flavors. I am glad I have another one of these in the cellar.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have heard such wonderful things about this brew, my expectations were much higher. apparently they've had some infection issues with this in consecutive years, so I can only assume that was the case for me, although the beer wasn't super off, it just wasn't what it was advertised as. pours a thin looking brown with some red hues in the light and a small cream colored head. the nose is like an attic, dusty and undisturbed. its also little tangy, which makes me think somethings up, but the bourbon is strong, and the coffee is acidic and bright. the flavor is coffee dominant, with roasty malt and some faint cocoa powder notes. the finish is funny, highly acidic, not quite vinegar, but moving in that direction. its a strange contrast to all the bourbon that's there at the end, and the alcohol really stands out. I don't taste that bacterial sort of funk, but maybe this is indeed infected. the mouthfeel is really thin for the style, watery but well carbonated. this is a miss in many ways, which makes me assume I had a bad bottle. I will have to source another, and try again. this is supposed to be fantastic beer, so it deserves another shot, although two years in a row of bad batches has me concerned about central waters more generally.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

This poured out as a very nice looking deep black color, there was a nice thin head on top until the first sip killed it off. The lacing is very subtle. The smell of the beer gives off some wood aged bourbon-like aromas. I also pick up some fruit in there and vanilla. The taste of the beer gives off more barrel flavors some subtle coffee and chocolate and hints of vanilla in there too. It's also sweet. The mouthfeel is a bit heavy on the carbonation and thin feeling. Overall it's still a really nice beer to say the least. It's worth trying if you come across it.

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

2011 Vintage.

Pours a dark brown, almost black. Fizzy carbonation, but almost no head, looks thin.

Smell is very sweet. Caramel, dark fruit, toffee, vanilla, cherries.

Taste is so smooth and balanced. 2 years on this is a good amount it seems. It's sweet caramel, coffee finish, vanilla.

Mouthfeel is really thin, light, but drinkable.

3.99/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz that came in today from nflmvp. Didn't realize it was a one off.

Pours straight black, nothing more nothing less. The head is 3/4" and dark brown. Amazing lacing and good retention. I would call this halfway between 4.5 and 5.0 but I have to choose one or the other.

The aroma is a slap in the face at first. Very heavy on the coffee. Not being a coffee lover this is a bit off-putting. Then once my nostrils adjust to the rediculous intensity of the coffee I catch hints of chocolate and oak. Also theres an underlying sweetness, maybe the bourbon?

Flavor, again coffee and lots of it. Then bourbon, chocolate, and booze in that order. Moderately high bitterness.

Body is heavy, carbonation is medium, just right. Drinkable and interesting for non coffee drinkers, extremely drinkable and enjoyable for coffee drinkers.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard unbranded gold pressure cap acquired from the very gracious Duff27 in a trade and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass. Expectations are high given current ratings, Duff27's recommendation, and my positive experience with Central Waters' bourbon barrel stout - which I was fond of. 2013 vintage. Brewed with Emy J's coffee. Aged in used oak bourbon barrels.

Served chilled and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a half finger head of nice cream, nice thickness, and above average (3 minute) retention. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. Predictable for the style, which isn't necessarily bad. Though I have seen better heads - including on Central Waters' own bourbon barrel stout. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I can't wait to try it.

Sm: Subtle rich vanilla. Refined oak. Pleasant coffee and coffee roast notes; no coffee bitterness at all. I don't detect any hop aromatics, yeast, or alcohol. Dark malts. Cream. Light caramel. Luxurious buried roasted barley. Boy, the aroma gets better and better as it warms, really letting the marvelous coffee notes come through. Rich and decadent. I can tell this one is going to be good. A moderately strong aroma. I'm really excited. Chocolate malt. Quite bourbon-y, but not as much as the bourbon barrel stout; it's more subtle and integrated. A spot-on complex aroma for a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout.

T: Light cream opens to the vanilla-dominant body, with subtle notes of oak and bourbon abound throughout the second act. A bit of chocolate malt, sure. Disappointingly, the coffee and roast are far more buried than the aroma suggested. I hardly get any coffee at all. The finish is a little problematic, with a touch of alcohol hitting along with a contrasting upsurge of caramel flavour. Indeed, alcohol is noticeable in this beer. No hop character comes through at all; any hopping is minimal. No coffee or malty bitterness. Some malty sweetness up front, but nothing overdone or bothersome - except maybe when you get further down the glass if you're drinking it alone. No yeast character comes through. I don't know that I can call it well balanced, but it's put together nicely until the aforementioned setbacks on the finish. Above all else, the complexity and depth of flavour just isn't as high as it needs to be for this to be truly great. And why is the coffee so muted? I love the subtlety here, but it's lacking what other better imperial stouts have mastered.

Mf: Delightfully creamy and smooth. Great body. Good carbonation. Nicely wet without pushing it too far. Pretty good presence on the palate. Chewy. Could be a bit softer. I'd like to see the fragility and delicacy of great imperial stouts, but that isn't here. It suits the flavour profile pretty well, however.

Dr: I'll have no trouble killing this bottle by meself - that's for sure. And it hides its ABV well. But I have to admit, I expected better. Granted, expectations were extremely high. It's not a great imperial stout, but it's a damn good one. I was perplexed by the lack of coffee in particular; the name of the beer alone seemed to suggest heavy rich coffee notes and that's just not the case here. Maybe that time in barrels made the coffee fade? Alcohol does make a brief appearance, but I wouldn't call it a boozy or hot beer by any means. It's certainly less alcohol-redolent than Central Waters' bourbon barrel stout. A little age might do it a favour.

In spite of my above notes, I do have to admit it gets considerably better as it warms; I served it too cold even with the rest period I gave it after removing it from the fridge. It's a tasty brew that I intend to revisit. Very glad I got to try it; thanks again Duff27! I'd definitely have this again - aged or on draught would be ideal.

High B+

It was fine out of a conical pint glass, but a snifter or teku would be ideal.

Aging could very well improve it.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. As it pours there's a glint of red, but in the glass it's pitch black with soft burnt sienna at it's edges. Spots of lace, the tan foam rekindles with a swirl. Aroma is all buttery oak and vanilla. First sip is a nice impression of dark roast coffee, vanilla, fudgy chocolate frosting, and faint bourbon on the back end. Bitterness is slight, as is the sweetness. It's like a good cup of coffee blended with a dropper full of bourbon and melted chocolate milkshake. Feel is on par with other CW barrel-aged stouts, not huge and not wimpy, just right. It's very tasty, not sure if I prefer their Bourbon Cherry Stout more or not...

3.64/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: Pours a midnight brown color with a rather modest tan head that leaves a few dots and dashes of lace behind

Smell: Bourbon barrel and coffee/chocolate elements battle it out for prominence but the oak is ultimately the dominant aroma

Taste: Coffee and chocolate, up front, but the bourbon barrel dominates by mid-palate, adding a bit of a burnt raisin sour element; after the swallow, the beer moves into balance, with both the coffee and the bourbon prominent in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: I have had this a few times and have encountered the sourness on each occasion; at first I thought I was getting a bad bottle but I guess that is what the brewer has intended - I am not a big fan of that element

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a bottle into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, almost black color with some light getting through around the edges. Where the light comes through, there is a red tint. There is a one finger tan head that dissipates and leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet with hints of dark fruit and some caramel. There is some roast in there as well as some chocolate and bourbon.

Taste: The bourbon is the strongest flavor, but it doesn't totally dominate. I can definitely pick up the coffee along with some dark fruit, dark chocolate, and a little vanilla. The finish is a bit roasty with some alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, a bit thick for the flavor if you ask me. A solid amount of carbonation with a somewhat dry finish.

Overall: I would call this good but not spectacular. I enjoy the mix of flavors, but I would have liked a bit more body. I would have another.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to bifrostguard for cracking this one on a couple different occasions.

Pours a dark murky brown, almost black and entirely opaque. Two fingers of light tan head rises and then slowly settles to a quarter-inch cap.

The nose is a beautiful blend of coffee and vanilla. Beneath the coffee onslaught there's a healthy dose of nougat, toffee and toasted nuts.

Coffee is initially dominant on the palate, sharp and heavily roasted. The -bal comes forth mid-palate, bringing flavors of vanilla and toffee that meld with, but never quite overtake the coffee flavor. Surprisingly light in body, and ridiculously smooth, this could be the most sessionable imperial stout around. It finishes with a coffee-vanilla-roasted nut mélange that doesn't linger on the palate too long, making it a little too easy to take another sip. In conclusion, this beer is really good.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

2010 Batch.

Poured into Bruery Snifter.

The pour is a clear copper brown, but when it settles in the glass it is dark brown, near black. Pours hardly and tan head.

Aroma: Bourbon, vanilla, and coffee right up front. Some oak in the background. The bourbon is subtle, but it works well for this beer. It has a nice roasted malt flavor coming from it. I am already enjoying this.

Taste: The coffee and roasted malt flavors are right up front and then the bourbon, vanilla, and oak kick in after the roasted malts settle a bit. I have never had a ba stout with coffee and it sure is interesting. I am not sure what I think of it yet. It also has some fresh earthy hops and chocolate, dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bubbly (more carbonation than the pour would suggest). It is also a bit roasty and slightly smooth. A relatively full body goes along with this. Ends with a big roasted aftertaste that is very dry.

Overall, this is a very interesting beer. It has a lot of flavors that I like in a stout and I think they are combined well. However, the mouthfeel seems to be a tad off and the coffee/roasted malt seems to overpower the bourbon notes. I think time may do this beer wonders as the coffee flavors will drop and the bourbon will begin to round this beer out.

Edit: 2012 edition in my glass right now and this stuff is amazing. I originally gave this a 4.1, but I was a noob then. This stuff is legit and you cannot go wrong for the price. I am stocking up on this beer. Wow, what an underrated beer. This has everything I want in a beer. Solid bourbon presence, nice coffee flavor with a subtle roast, creaminess and good mouthfeel, and an extremely dangerous drinkability. CW does it right.

3.57/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Assuming this is lightly infected. Looks ok and goes downhill from there. Not bad, you can sense a quality beer in there, but off.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to jstilwell for sending this one. Bottled Jan 2011.

Forgot about it and meant to drink it right away, but couldn't find a good time, and now the coffee probably isn't as fresh as it should be, but I'm sure it will still be delicious.

Pours a light fizzy small head that barely covers the beer but typical for the style, over pitch black beer, not super thick but no light coming through.

Nose is nice, some dark malts, plenty of roasted malts, some dark and baker's chocolate, almost cocoa nib aromas, and hint of oats, all with a really nice coffee aroma, like fresh brewed med roast coffee.

Taste brings lots of chocolate again, dark roasted malts, a really nice big dark stout flavor. Some oats give it a creamy oatmeal like flavor but not much. The roast starts to come through as it warms and sits in my mouth, with some coffee from the roast, and light acrid coffee grind flavor but not a lot. It also brings quite a bit of acidity, mixed with the slight acrid flavor are the only harsh flavors. The coffee is there, not as strong as I'm sure it was, with a bit of a nice med roast brewed coffee flavor but not huge. A bit of booze creeps up, with some warmth and bit of tingle. Finishes sticky and still a bit sweet, plenty of lingering roasted malts, just a bit of chocolate left, and quite a bit of bitterness coming through mostly from the roasted malts.

Mouth is bigger bodied, fairly thick and a bit creamy, with lower but decent for the style carb, and some warming tingly booze.

Overall pretty good, would be better fresher I bet with the fresh coffee that probably died off a bit in the 9-10 months since. Despite the booze, a bit of acrid burnt grinds flavor, and some acidity, it's still a nice dark roasty chocolate stout.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to Barrythebear for this bottle.

Poured into a snifter. Color is near black with a short mocha head that has a decent retention time. Nose is strong coffee and wood with some nice touches of vanilla and cream. Great taste, combining coffee and vanilla well. Good body.and carbonation. Another solid hit from Central Waters.

Peruvian Morning from Central Waters Brewing Co.