Peruvian Morning | Central Waters Brewing Co.

Peruvian MorningPeruvian Morning

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States

2015 Tap only release

Added by brdc on 01-29-2008

Ratings: 1,447 |  Reviews: 457
4.66/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - poured a dark reddish brown almost black, light amount of head which disappeared slowly to just a rim of tan foam

S - smells of toasted grains, coffee, tobacco, cocoa, a hint of grapes, vanilla, bourbon, walnuts.

T - a very sweet toffee, caramel, pecan, milk chocolate.. never had a stout this sweet. i thought it was going to be an average taste from the smells it gave off, but holy crap this one took me by surprise. aftertaste is very coffee flavored with hints of sugar coated pecans. this is phenomenal. a lot more of the bourbon is present after a year of aging. this is truly a fantastic beer.

M - silky smooth, well carbonated, sweet finish, honestly making my mouth water in between sips

O - a very rich and intricately flavored stout.. just plain ol' amazing. sugary sweet with a lot of bourbon profile which were subtle fresh, but after a year of aging are more present. i recommend picking up a couple bottles fresh, and letting a few age for a year just to compare.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.64/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Part of KBS Day 2012 bottle sharing. Thanks Tim! 12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip on March 9th, 2012.

A - Pretty light brown for a stout, almost like a thinner Angel's Share. Zero head, retention, or lacing.

S - Heavier roast and espresso beans, touch of dark chocolate bar. Is there really a barrel presence here? I can't really detect anything that suggests the bourbon integration.

T - Smooth honey-like malts, vanilla, roasted grains, further dark chocolate, light bourbon oak. Fairly good.

M - Very high carbonation, light-medium body, semi-sweet finish.

D - Not bad, undeniably better than the Bourbon Barrel Stout that I tried a month or so go.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

A: black pour with brown highlights and a thin tan lacing.

S: coffee is the big smell, but it's not overwhelming. Also has some malt sweetness and roastiness.

T: nice coffee flavor with great roasted notes and maybe some wood or earthy flavor. A bit sweet, but there is some balancing bitterness. I'm guessing a lighter roast coffee.

M: medium carbonation and medium-heavy body

O: excellent beer. It was just decent until I tasted the woody or earthy flavor. That just made the beer for me. So glad to have found a couple of these in a store today.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottled Jan, 2012
Reviewed 10MAR12
Pours a dark brown with a little cap and ring of latte foam. Coffee, bourbon, vanilla, graham, cocoa, sweet malts - great nose. The coffee is a little more pronounced this time. Flavor has a little heat on it with a hint of metallic tone; alongside are oak, bourbon, alcohol, coffee, dark chocolate and some burnt toast flavors. full, velevety body with moderate carb and a wet finish, long finish. Really a pleasant beer. I think the flavor is a little sharp, but it seems there is difficulty in balancing the bourbon with the coffee for them. The nose is certainly tremedous, the flavor is the primary downfall. 3/4.5/3.5/4.5/4

bottled: Jan, 2011
Reviewed 04MAY11
A: Pours a dark brown, but once in the glass, opaque black. Single finger mocha head falls nearly immediately leaving a thin sheet of the same. No lacing.
S: Vanilla is the first thing I notice. Followed closely by coffee, bourbon (when you smell it, you know it), wood, sweet malt. No distinguishable hops. Some graham, cocoa, beautiful toasty tones. Very complex nose.
T:The coffee wins. Lots of coffee, lots of bourbon, lots of coffee, lots of bourbon. Did I mention the coffee and bourbon? So, otherwise, a little bit of licorice, a little bit of an alcoholic fire, nothing like BCS, but there nonetheless. Hints of raisin as well.
M: Much lighter in body than I had anticipated. Low carbonation. No resonance on the finish for me.
O: I'm almost on the fence with this. It's good. I'd love to cellar a couple of these. Man, I like it, I don't love it, but I like it. My ratings are all over for this one. It's so perplexing - like a hot step-sister. 3/5/4/2/4-3.93

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature glass. Thanks to bpolglaze for the hook up.

A: Pours a deep dark color, almost black but with hints of brown around the edges. Aggressive pour leads to a 1.5 finger mocha-foam colored head that lingers forever. Lacing is thick and plentiful.

S: Like a cup of cold coffee with a shot of espresso and cocoa. What a wonderful blend of chocolate malt, toasted malt, molasses, coffee and coffee.

T: Coffee flavor is definitely first and last and in the middle but there are plenty of other flavors going on as well like the cocoa and toasted malts but it's the coffee that takes center stage. Not as well balanced as an FBS but not many are.

M: Creamy, big bodied feel. The bitterness of the coffee makes me pucker.

O: This is a big boy coffee stout. It has a ton flavors milling about - the nose is excellent yet the flavor leaves just a little something to be desired.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Got this in a recent trade but can't remember who sent it, thanks! Dark black, standard stout appearance. Smells like coffee, rich stout, malts, good. Flavor was a little booze a lot of coffee, very rich and full flavored. Much better than the Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout I had in the same sitting. I'd love to get another bottle of this at some point, good stuff.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Agreed it needs a little more carbonation to improve mouthfeel. Otherwise, enjoy this beer for its flavors. The vanilla is the main player up front with a nice barrel age on the back. I need to get to this brewery. I said a bang, bang, banggity, bang, I said a bang bang banggity banggity bang

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz bottle(d) in January into a tulip.

A- Pours a clear dark brown with a finger or so of creamy mocha colored head that sticks around for a bit. Nice lacing. Still looks a bit light for a stout.

S- Roasted coffee, chocolate, boozy barrel notes, vanilla, burnt/roasted malt notes, marshmallow?.

T- Roasty flavors up front - dark chocolate and coffee followed by a big mix of toasty vanilla/cream and boozy bourbon. Really good here.

M- Surprisingly thin and watery. Carbonation is average, but the thin feel almost gives the bourbon finish a cheap, watered down feel.

O- I've had this once before, but it was about 6 months old at the time and I felt like it could be better if I got it fresher. This is a damn fine barrel-stout, but falls a bit short of top-tier for me due to the watery feel.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Got a bottle as a surprise in a trade.

I opened this not realizing it was barrel aged, let alone bourbon barrel aged, so I was pretty bummed out when there was no head. I smelled it, liked the strong dark roasty coffee smell and thought, hey, there's some booziness up in there. Then I tasted it and thought "what the hell?" Had I known this was bourbon barrel aged, I probably would've held onto it a bit until I got my hands on some Solstice and BB Stout from them and had them all side by side. But damn, I really like this beer.

Smell is kind of muted all things considered, but it might just be my super cold fridge. I still think the appearance is a letdown, would love to see some head on there. I've typed this whole thing up and am still tasting bourbon and coffee and goodness.

More please.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.24/5  rDev -21.2%

A Jet black, no head at all
S Coffee coffee and more coffee
T A bit of malt, but basically all coffee
M Completely flat, could be a bit thicker
O This beer just isn't my style, its all coffee and lacks ballance in my opinion. If you like a coffee stout that is very coffee forward you would probably like this, but its not for me.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Pours a deep, dark brown with a mini tan head that recedes quickly and leaves small, sticky spots of lacing. Very noice and unassuming.

S- Big, bold chocolate and coffee notes dominate the nose. A nice roastiness compliments a certain sweetness perfectly.

T- Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and booze are melded perfectly together. The bourbon character is there but is not overwhelming, leaving the coffee and chocolate free to share the limelight. Mild woody (hah!) notes finish things up.

MF- A little thinner than I was anticipating, but still manages to provide a lovely creaminess. Carbonation is low. Leaves you with a nice warmth; drinks right at 8.5, I'd say.

O/D- This is nicely balanced in my opinion, and a wonderful start to porch beer season. Highly recommended. Thanks to duff27 for picking this up for me when I couldn't make the trip, you da best.

Peruvian Morning from Central Waters Brewing Co.