Peruvian Morning | Central Waters Brewing Co.

Peruvian MorningPeruvian Morning

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States

Added by brdc on 01-29-2008

Ratings: 1,447 |  Reviews: 457
4.27/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

EDIT 2/2015-I still have to downgrade this beer because of the infection issue that has doomed it to most likely never be made again but I had my last bottle of 2013 tonight and it was fantastic. The 2013 that I got was not infected and thus my last chance to try this beer in the form it was meant to be drank. This was awesome. The coffee had faded slightly but what was left in it's place was a sweet chocolate taste and as always the trademark Central Water bourbon barrel taste was front and center.

EDIT 4/2014-I AM DOWNGRADING THIS BEER DUE TO THE RECENT RECALL WHICH IS THE THIRD STRAIGHT YEAR AT LEAST PART OF THE BATCH HAS BEEN SPOILED. There are other beers I have went back and given a higher score to because of how well they age. It's only fair then that I downgrade this one due to it's complete inability to age...since it spoils.

As I just mentioned in my post on Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine, it is possible that I just had my two favorite beers ever in the same night and from the same brewery. To specifically talk about this one, CW Coffeehouse Stout had been my highest rated beer on this site, but I think I liked this one better. I will drink the two side by side and some point and modify my scores as needed.

One thing that always slightly downgraded the Coffeehouse Stout was just a slight watery aftertaste. Not only does the Peruvian Morning eliminate that but it hits you with a Bourbon aftertaste from the barrels that it was aged in. This brewery is far and away my favorite!

4.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got this from 2beerornot2beer in the Blind Beer Round 6 BIF. 12oz. bottle poured into my Russian River "tion" snifter.

A: Pours a really deep, rich brown (almost black) with some hues of red around the edges. There is very little head to this beer, only a thin ring of tiny off-white bubbles hugging the glass.

S: I’m picking up notes of roasted malt, burnt toast, plums, raisins, chocolate, vanilla, and a dash of coffee. It’s really nice, but it smells a bit boozy. Either way, I can’t wait to dig into this one.

T: Interesting… Big sweetness up front. I get the stone fruits, malt, and toast right away. Those flavors mix with some booze in the middle and linger on the palate for a bit. The finish brings on the chocolate and coffee. It’s a wacky combination and I’m pretty sure I’ve never had this beer before.

M: Medium bodied beer. There is great carbonation throughout, but none of the flavors linger for too long.

O: I’m supremely perplexed by this beverage. It smells great and tastes pretty good. I like it, but I feel like I’m missing something. Overall, I think this brew is really solid.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Pretty much black, but some translucence apparent around the edges when backlit. Had a finger of mocha foam but it didn't last long. Modest activity is visible. no lacing.

Nicely balanced aroma consisting of malty sweetness and mellow coffee notes laying down the base and being joined by gentle roast, oak barrel, and even a little bit of bourbon. Very nice, and seeming to get more complex and nuanced each time I put my nose in the glass.

Tastes much like the nose with some sweet malty backbone joined by roasted barley, smooth bean, and bourbon soaked oak barrel. Nothing is overpowering, and it all plays well together. I'm impressed.

There is some moderate warming, but it's not hot. The body is full, thick and viscous. It's a really rich and smooth.

Thanks Adam, this is a great beer! I look forward to getting to know Central Waters better, and getting some more Perevian Morning in particular. i think I tasted it (and about 40 other awesome Imperial Stouts) at Darkness Day, but it was hard to appreciate the complexity and nuance in that context. This is a fantastic beer, and it's kinda nice that it is not too big (in comparison to some others) at just 8.5%.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Peruvian Morning from Central Waters Brewing Co.