Peruvian Morning | Central Waters Brewing Co.

Peruvian MorningPeruvian Morning

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States

Added by brdc on 01-29-2008

Ratings: 1,447 |  Reviews: 457

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter; 2012 vintage

Pours a deep, dark brown with ruby highlights. A cap reminiscent of soda rises a finger, fizzes, and settles to a thin collar.

Bourbon soaked figs, milk chocolate, fresh coffee grounds, and some cherries and plums. Vanilla and oak round out a solid aroma.

The flavor profile isn't quite as rich and inviting as the nose, but still delicious. Up front, bourbon soaked raisins and figs take control. Cherries, plums, and roast through the middle before a wave of fresh, bitter coffee grounds finish the job.

The feel is smooth, slightly watery. Doesn't hit full bodied like I would have expected. There is a touch of bourbon in the finish.

A nice bourbon barrel aged stout, but lacks some fullness that would put this in the upper ranks. Good barrel aging flavor, dry, roast, coffee, vanilla. Tasty stout.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

2012 bottle poured in to Founders tulip. Thanks to Robbiemoy13 for this one.

A - Black. Half a finger of light brown head formed and reduced to a thin layer. Good lacing.

S - Dark roasted coffee dominates. Some roast and a good overall sweetness. No barrel characteristics are present in the nose.

S - Big coffee flavor up front that gives way to roasted malts and hints of sweet chocolate. A slight bitterness is present throughout. Can't detect bourbon, vanilla or oak at all. If the label didn't tell me that this was barrel aged, I would have never guessed.

M - Medium body. moderate bitterness.

O - Happy I got to try this one and even happier that it wasn't infected.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Pours an opague black with tremendous heading and lacing. Rings are in full effect after every sip and looks very alive and inviting.

Nose presents some decent coffee notes,as well as some oak and bourbon,nothing really jumping out at me.

Mocha mix right off that bat but dumbed down by a good amount of bourbon, nice cherry and vanilla oak is in, can't really get over the fruitier mix to this one. Very odd but good.

Decent mouthfeel , Full bodied ,good carbonation but I am thinking it is a little bit too thin.

Ah ok but nothing out of the ballpark. I was looking for a little bit heavier of a coffee beer but was somewhat let down.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

A deep and dark brown, nearly black bodied beer with a one finger cream colored head. Retention is good and the lacing is particularly creamy looking and attractive. The aroma blends fresh roast coffee, Bourbon, vanilla, and oak notes beautifully; each one is easily discerned.

I found the flavor to be slightly less appealing than the nose; this beer is dominated by bourbon, and for me I found it overpowered the coffee too much. It's still in there, as well as the vanilla and oak notes, but the in your face boozy bourbon flavor is what ill remember most about this beer. A bit more bitter black coffee and sweeter toffee notes emerge in the finish and particularly the longer this beer sits.

I found the mouthfeel to be a little bit thinner and more carbonated than I'd hoped, lacking both girth and smoothness.

It probably sounds like I'm bashing this beer, but I'm really not. Its quite good overall but it fell a smidge short of my expectations, I guess. Just wish it had a bit more body, smoother carbonation, and a little less untamed booziness. Glad I got to
try it for sure; I would recommend this highly to fans of Bourbon-forward beer.

EDIT: just need to add kudos to Central Waters for putting their various barrel aged beers in 12oz bottles. I can actually drink an entire bourbon barrel stout when I'm on my own without getting ridiculously drunk and still have a bit of leeway. I cant say the same about Bramble or BCBCS, both of which I drank solo and felt the worse for wear.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Really nice stout. Opened a 2012 Peruvian Morning on 12 June 2012. Maybe a bit too much coffee for me, but for those who are coffee lovers, this one is a nice beer....Peruvian morning..coffee, not too hard to get the link. Anyway, beer pours a bit lighter than I thought, but is a nice dark brown with a nice thin mocha head. Nice coffee roast on the nose as with the taste. Nice smooth mouthfeel, not flat, has some carbonation and a nice finish!
Overall, nothing bad to say about this beer at all.

Peruvian Morning from Central Waters Brewing Co.