Hop Harvest | Central Waters Brewing Co.

good
Hop HarvestHop Harvest

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-26-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 48 | Ratings: 91
3.52/5  rDev 0%

22 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A - A fairly strong pour brings up a thin white head that fades to a ring around the glass within a minute or two. The color is golden and clear in transparency. A decent amount of carbonation is present, racing up to the top. Overall though I am a bit disappointed by the poor head retention.

S - Lots of hops, and earthy notes present in this brew. There is some underlying citrus notes along with some faint malts as well.

T - Strong in the hops, no doubt about it. Even more than I was expecting after a few whiffs. A bitter, grainy alcohol taste also presents itself, making this beer not as pleasant as I would have hoped. Malts, caramel and earthy notes are present as well.

M - Medium bodied with more than enough carbonation. Lots of hops and citrus notes right off the bat accompanied by an alcohol flavor and carbonation. As the beer finishes there is a dry bitterness left behind from the malts and earthy notes.

D - This beer is certainly worth a try if your a fan of Central Waters like I am. However, for the price and the fact that this was supposed to be a special release, I am a bit disappointed. Worth a try, but not something I will be getting again. I couldn't imagine having more than one of these in an evening anyway.

3.41/5  rDev -3.1%

Foggy toasted straw colored with a short rise of sticky and lacy beige froth.
For a wet-hopped beer, the nose is extremely closed. The malt comes through a bit with a toasty, semi-caramelized graininess. Hops are grassy, weak, and translucent..at best. A bit of quinine-esque, minerally bitterness comes out as it warms.
The malt rolls through the mouth with a healthy toastiness, and a subserviant caramel sweetness. A mixed bag of dry-roasted nuts is tossed in as well. Hops are louder in the mouth than they were in the nose, but still suffer from a washed-out sense of indistinctness. Here, they are generally grassy, with a discernable piney resinous quality, and some loose floral traits. Overall, it lacks the punch and clarity one associates with a fresh hop ale. Bitterness creeps up on the tail end-- evidenced by some minerally astringency-- but lacks the accompanying flavor.
The medium body is given rise with a steady, small-beaded CO2. There's a taut muscularity here, and it pushes itself down the neck.
As a Pale Ale, it's very solid (aside from the flatlined nose) and absolutely drinkable. But as a special release it seems all too commonplace.

3.31/5  rDev -6%

Poured from 22oz to snifter.

Appearance - Deep orange, poured with a 1 finger white foamy head. Head recedes rather quickly and leaves a slight lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell - Just a bit of alcohol and hops, not much. Maybe a hint of hops and grass. After a ton of sniffing a little bit of sweet malts.

Taste - Very grassy alcoholic taste to it. A bit of sweet malts on the end but most of the taste comes from very grassy and a little bit of citrusy hops. The sweet malt dominates on the end.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated, almost too much so. Seems a bit too heavy for it's style. Good but not matching up with an APA.

Drinkability - A bomber is plenty enough for me, not much more of this beer, I would not reach for another bomber if I had one

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours an clear light tan/orange colour, with a head that recedes within a few minutes of the pour. Lots of irregular sized bubbles, staring at me...

Smell is reminiscent of 2-row malt mashing if you were to throw a bunch of hops in. Kind of skunky flowery smell infiltrating the nostrils.

Taste is of inviting pale malt intermingling with bright flowery hops. Twangy light "crisp light lager" flavour. Lingering leafy hop bitterness...

Mouthfeel--light, crisp, cleansing the palette with each sip.

Drinkability-- Pretty easy going, I was expecting a bit more from this one though.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

Picked up a 22Oz of this fresh from the brewery last weekend (42 mile round trip bike ride from Point).

Pours a light wheat color with a decent white head that settled into a very thin cap. There is a lot of bubbly carbonation rising from the bottom. The aroma is a little weak. There is a citrus presence, and a mild floral nose but very subtle. The taste is nice and calm, no big POP that I would look for in a good pale ale. Balance is there with the malt finish. This is a decent brew, but for the price of the bottle I could get a sixer of something a little better.

3.08/5  rDev -12.5%

I just tried this beer as I try all new C.W. beers. This one wasn't for me.

Poured a light yellow straw color with almost no head. The smell was not present at all. Taste was much better than the smell indicated but still wasn't my favorite. Good drinking beer for someone getting into wet hopped ale's but I was hopeing for a bigger beer.

Still LOVE the brewery!

3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

"Wisconsin grown barley and hand-picked hops make this beer one of a kind. We take pride in brewing this local product and supporting the farmers that make this possible. When you enjoy a Hop Harvest, rest assured that you are truly making a difference in this great state."

Appearance - poured into hopleaf tulip, rather pale straw-golden body, eggshell froth with minimal lacing

Smell: hops aren't overly aromatic - slightly grassy, a touch of lemongrass, pale malts

Taste - I guess this just isn't what I was expecting...it should be noted that I dig Central Waters but have never found any of their hop-centric beers to be worth of a repeat purchase. At $4.49 a bomber, this one was fairly priced and an immediate purchase. The hops just don't come through for something labeled as "Hop harvest" and "wet hopped". The flavor profile is very balanced (too balanced) and features a brilliant clean malt profile with no real hop profile at all - light lemongrass, faint citrus and no pine. As a hop-centric beer, a major disappointment. As a WI harvest brew, lovely.

Mouthfeel: light-medium body, very clean, very refreshing

Drinkability: good

4.14/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am resubmitting this review as I think my original review was deleted. The bummer here is I am trying to do this from memory rather than doing it on the spot as the original was.

A: Very nice appearance. Pours with a solid 2cm head that sticks around. Nice deep orange color with good carbonation.

S: This was surprising, but to my nose, I really didn't take smell as one of the big features of this beer. It wasn't bad, it just didn't catch me and assert itself

T: This beer tasted great. It had all the hops you would expect from a wet hop beer (being the main feature) but also had a smokiness or savoriness that I can't pinpoint. I loved it. I have some saved and I am hoping it may age well and provide a touch of sweet for that perfect 5.0 rating. I know most pale ales don't store, but this provided quite the buzz so I am thinking the alcohol and hops may make this age ok... I'll see.

M: Great mouth feel. Clean and the carbonation really made the good flavors sparkle.

D: I could drink this over and over again. A great beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Hop Harvest from Central Waters Brewing Co.