Exodus | Central Waters Brewing Co.

ExodusExodus

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
centralwaters.com

Style: Flanders Red Ale

A sour red ale aged with cherries in bourbon barrels.

Added by mothman on 08-17-2010

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

3.04/5  rDev -23.2%

Picked up this bottle of Exodus from the corner liquor because it was the new beer on the shelf. I'm a sucker for new, even though Central Waters has never been a brewery that has impressed me. In fact, I had to look at a picture of the bar to remember that I stopped there once (part of the Good Beer Bus Tour 2006) . But everyone deserves an update chance.

Corked and caged bottle opened with a light pop, so had to pour hard down the middle to create an ephemeral white head with large irregular bubbles. Color of a new copper penny, it peaks my expectation in the glass. First sip--wow--sour. I should really research my beers ahead of time a bit more. While I saw the "Ale Aged in Oak Barrels with Cherries Added" on the front label, I missed the "sour ale" and "Door County Cherries" on the back description. Listed on BeerAdvocate as a Flanders Red Ale.

In this case, it may have turned out better to not have read the label clearly. Being a fan of Flanders Red, my expectations would have been even higher. However, the beer disappoints the style, but is fine for a try tonight. In the nose, the familiar Door County cherries used famously by New Glarus are clearly there. Clear sour from the trifecta of sour bugs and the oak is there if you look for it. Take a taste and the oak is now out front with a pleasant fruity sourness. Body is thin and seems to fall off the back with little to stop it. Adequate, and my perception of Central Waters has change very little: solid, but rarely stellar.

3.47/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice flanders red from Central Waters. Has a good sour cherry aroma. The taste is a good balance of sour tartness and cherry. A well balanced brew that is like the little brother of the Dissident from Deschutes. I think the recipe could be beefed up a bit with more malt and cherries. The bourbon isn't really there at all, which could also be improved.

3.47/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

AGED REVIEW

This one has been in my refrigerator for about 7 months now, let's crack it open and see how it has fared.

Pours out a surprisingly clear reddish tinged amber, with absolutely no head or lacing at all.
The first sniff smells like a rich vanilla/cherry cordial sort of aroma. The second sniff adds a medium dosage of oak tannins and a generalized 'acidic' tart aroma to that. I have absolutely -no- raunchiness or funk whatsoever in the nose, it is still a very bright and clean sort of tart smell.

The flavor is SUPER surprisingly dry considering how sweet the nose was. Tastes somewhat like lager-diluted apple vinegar that had cherries soaking in it. Very little malt character exists at all in this brew at this point in time. The finish is a long, drawn-out yet light woody tannic fade-out. Light spritzey body with light carbonation to match.

My overall impression is that this brew was on the right track in terms of tartness, acidity, and pucker, but needs a more bold malt profile and a higher level of Brett inoculation in order to truly contend with the gold standards of Flanders.

Compared to fresh, I've already lost -so- much woody character without gaining funk that I don't want to age the only other bottle of the inaugural batch of Exodus I have for more than a few additional months (just to double-check my single data point of aging results). Also, it is worth repeating that I've aged this one at refrigerator temperature, higher temperatures will have changed faster than this.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Big 750ml into a Duvel tulip. No dates or numbers or anything.

A: Opens with an audible pop, but no rush of foam. The body is hazy orange--I guess I expected more red. Head fizzles away quickly, leaving a slight, off-white ring about the top.

S: Quite a nice, tart cherry nose, with a little mustiness and barnyard brett. Some rose petals, maybe. Nice, but a bit one-note, muddled.

T: Oooh, very tart. Puckering. Definitely strong cherry notes, perhaps too strong. A little horse blanket in the finish. It's somewhat flat tasting, though. Wish it was more complex.

M: Low carbonation, but not terribly thin-bodied.

O: Just okay, overall. Certainly a noble attempt, but kind of monotonous. Still, I encourage the effort and still adore CW. Keep on plugging, guys. I'll keep on drinking.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

not even sure when or where I got this but I've definitely had it for a while. decided to pop a few things taking up space and this one fit that bill.

this is the first batch corked and caged. semi transparent amber color. nose is pungent. taste is a bit mellower...little watery but definitely palatable. drinkable...not too sour but getting there.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Exodus from Central Waters Brewing Co.