Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sláinte Scottish Style Ale | Central Waters Brewing Co.

Sláinte Scottish Style AleSláinte Scottish Style Ale
3.86/5
Very Good
Sláinte Scottish Style AleSláinte Scottish Style Ale

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
centralwaters.com

Style: Scottish Ale

Added by mobius387 on 12-17-2011

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

4.06/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Deep brown, mostly opaque due to the darkness of the color

S: Mild smokiness and peat is the noticeable aroma. A bit of a bready-chocolate smell exists. Slight raisin undertone

T: Smokiness is forward, but not overpowering. Chocolate is present in the taste, bitterness that pairs well with the peat flavor

M: Medium bodied, carbonation is light

O: Overall this is a very good Scotch ale, maybe it is a matter of preference, but I find I enjoy more of the dark fruit flavors in my Scotch ales. All said, this at 7.5% ABV the booze is not immediately present.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Very cool to find this brewed once beer at my bottle shop in the mix and match section.

A - Pours a hefty full inch of deep mocha head with a beer that is also equally as dark. Some sediment chunks at the base of my glass as thick as rice are kind of a turn off.
S - Very deep smoke and peat smells with a balance of caramel malts and citrus hops. Smell great!
T - Well it does a great job with the flavor I get smoke, some peat (minimal which is great) some dry rye comes into play with some citrus hops and a relatively clean finish with caramel malt. Tasty.
M - Medium and chewy, just like I like my malty ales!

Overall damn I can't believe this isn't a regular beer on the lineup, such a smooth malty scotch ale. Worth picking up if you find it.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

3.56/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at Galway Arms in Chicago, poured into a shaker pint.

Pours a deep brown color, nearly black color with a tan colored head, about a finger high, very creamy, looks like it was poured from a nitro tap, but I was assured it wasn't, retention is good, light lacing. The aroma is heavy on coffee, dark fruit, brown sugar and rich smooth grain. Flavors are similar, pungent coffee and light bitter chocolate, dark fruit, caramel malt, brown sugar, molasses and a bit of raisin, had to make sure I was drinking a Scottish Ale at first, it really drinks like a stout, almost no hop character to speak of. The body is nice and rich, coats the mouth well, very smooth but the finish is a bit lack luster and watery.

Verdict: A decent enough beer, not sure it's a decent enough Scottish Ale. Either way, I enjoyed my pint, but I doubt I'd ask for another.

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice, dense, tan head that collapses into a nice, light layer. Aroma is sweet malt with a slight note of floral hops, which combines to an almost berry-like quality. DEEP burnt umber color. Starts tart and toasted, with a touch of hops. Moves into a sweetness that blends with floral hops, then gives way to toasted malt and hop bitterness.
The start is almost like a Schwarzbier, but the finish is reminiscent of coffee.

I'm not HUGE on the start of this, but the finish is quite nice, indeed. Overall, not bad. I prefer my Scottish styles a touch more malty.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance- Gorgeous cascading mocha colored head. Very dark brown with hints of red at the edges when held to the light.

Smell- I dont get much on the nose. Light maltyness but that is about it.

Taste- Heavy roasted flavor that falls into bitterness and even some coffee notes.

Mouthfeel- This is the highlight of the beer for me. Rich and creamy without being heavy. Light carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall- I'm not a huge fan of scotch ales but this is a good one. Too bad they ran out of the barrel aged version before the anniversary party becuase I would have loved to try it.

Sláinte Scottish Style Ale from Central Waters Brewing Co.