Central Waters / Local Option De Kleine Dood | Central Waters Brewing Co.

Central Waters / Local Option De Kleine DoodCentral Waters / Local Option De Kleine Dood

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
centralwaters.com

Style: Weizenbock

De Kleine Dood is a Belgian inspired Weissenbock brewed as a collaboration between The Local Option and Central Waters Brewery in Amherst, Wisconsin. Originally released in summer 2012, De Kleine Dood will be available in spring 2013 on draft and in large format bottles.

When Central Waters decided to open its brew house for its first collaboration beer, Chicago’s Local Option was the obvious partner in crime. The resulting brainchild, De Kleine Dood - a Belgian inspired Weissenbock – maintains the traditional characteristics of its Bavarian forbearer, with the added complexity of Belgian ale yeast. De Kleine Dood is dark amber in color; maintains a rich, full-bodied mouth-feel augmented by caramel; mild and dark fruit; and vanilla and bourbon aromas as a result of six months of aging on Heaven Hill Barrels.. Rounded out by an unostentatious bourbon driven aroma from brief bourbon barrel aging, De Kleine Dood is a complex ale, a marriage of distinctive styles, and an orgasmic experience for the taste buds that revel in its glory.

Added by MasterSki on 05-25-2012

Updating my rating and adding a review for the current year and new name. This beer pours a deep ruby brow with a small, innocuous head. The aroma offers up a series of sweet but balances odors - raisin, prune, sweet bread, caramel - overall it smells like the best Christmas Pudding you have ever had. The flavor offers up some of the same dark fruits, prune, dried cherry, raisin, fig, as well as clove, mace, cinnamon, nutmeg, banana, sweet autumn squash, toffee, and caramel. The mouthfeel is full but not syrupy, the sweetness it well temper by the gentle carbonation and an almost wine like acidity. Overall this continues to be one of the best barrel aged beers out there, and Central Waters proves again and again that it's barrel aging program is top notch.

4.94/5  rDev +23.2%

4.91/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love Belgium style of ales. I also love bourbon barrel aging. This is an excellent example of both. Full taste that feels good in your mouth and looks good. Good head that stays well without being excessive. I was pleasantly surprised to find a brew from a brewing company I hadn't heard of or tried that was this good. I will definitely be looking for more!

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

4.79/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bought this beer without really knowing what to expect. The label describes it as a MALT BEVERAGE AGED IN BOURBON BARRELS. I did not see any other description to guide my initial expectation. Central Waters and Bourbon barrel aged were my purchase incentives.
When I started the pour, I was expecting this to be Pure Black and solid. Surprised by the light passing through and showing it to be a dark but not opaque brown pour. The head was thin but set up nicely.
The smell was wonderful. I love a beer that fulfills the advertised barrel aged statement from the label. I am a big fan of most bourbons and when a beer delivers that full nose of the barrel aging, it brings a warm spot and harkens back to my Kentucky visits.
I guess my palate is not tuned enough to embellish on the Belgian inspiration of the Weissenbock. I do know that I enjoyed the flavors. Although the nose was strong from the barrel aging, the flavors were extremely pleasant. Could be the Weissenbock softened and smoothed the flavors. There were definitely malty, vanilla, chocolate, coffee and caramel tones which I associate with a well aged whiskey. I picked up on some of the yeast flavors.
My lowest mark for this beer was the feel. 4.5 still not a low score. My first sip, I was not knowing for sure what I was drinking. When I had that full nose from the barrel aging, I may have been expecting more body and a longer lasting taste. I was expecting this to have a more solid and staying flavor.
I had purchased this one a few months back and had planned to share it with my son. Based on the Central Waters Production schedule, I may have missed my chance to by another or will have to wait and see when it is available again. For any fan of barrel aged beers, I do not think this one will disappoint.

4.77/5  rDev +19%

On tap at Upright Brew House in Manhattan.

Appearance: Offwhite head with good retention. If this is a weizenbock, its more Aventinus than Vitus.

Smell: Smells exactly like Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale; caramely oak. This is always a "count me in" experience for me.

Taste: Wow, it's like Bourbon County soaked banana bread! Genius! Just genius. Really well bourbon barrel aged moist banana bread with a little raisin thrown in as a highlight and a great mouthfeel. Come the hell on. How am I going to not order more of this?

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy, low side of moderate carbonation with a nice dry finish that peps up the experience and reminds you that this is a "weizenbock" not a barleywine.

Overall: Fucking bourbon barrel aged banana bread. 5.0.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

A- Poured a 22 ounce bomber into a Weizen glass, great head retention over a dark ale. The head maintains a creaminess that is hard to come by.

S- Not sure if otherworldly is a fair term to use in a review (at least not if I want to seem partial, which in this case I don't) but this beer is a 100 in the scent category. Bourbon is perfectly captured in the scent department, with amazing vanilla being the most pronounced. Upon further review I feel like I'm sensing nutmeg and cinammon. (And I have a crap sense of smell)

T- I've enjoyed the benefit of bourbon barrels on stouts before but this may even surpass that. The vanilla and bourbon are amazing in this beer, really nice caramel sweetness as well.

M- Extremely smooth with a nice sticky presence from the caramel and vanilla flavor components. Perfect carbonation is present.

O- This was a sensational beer. The weizenbock is as good or better a way to deliver the bourbon flavors than a stout. I wasn't sure what to expect with this (other than it would be good because Central Waters was involved) but it has exceeded my expectations.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Best 6.99 barrel aged beer I have ever had....What a great beer at a low price point. Local Option rules.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Central Waters / Local Option De Kleine Dood from Central Waters Brewing Co.