Fifteen | Central Waters Brewing Co.

FifteenFifteen
4.51/5
FifteenFifteen

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
centralwaters.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by mobius387 on 01-28-2013

4.15/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Black. Light tan head.

1414 even better. Is that possible. Very smooth bourbon flavors. Oak ad vanilla. Chocolate. Rich and smooth. Full bodied. A little heat shows.

Very good beer. A little hot which surprised me because I don't remember 14 being so hot. Still very good.

4.34/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was the first time I had the opportunity to go to The Great Taste Of The Midwest, one of the best collections of beer in one place that you will ever find. On the top of my list of things to try was Fifteen by Central Waters. CW is probably my favorite brewery but I had previously missed out on other chances to try their 15th anniversary stout.

The beer was poured in small 2 ounce servings but with the line at Central Waters not being that crazy, I was able to get a few samples of this beer. It poured very black and thick without much head. It looked similar to Goose Island BCS but not quite as thick. The smell was of bourbon, chocolate, dark malts and some fruits. The taste was very similar to the smell but even better as all of the scents I described were amplified in the taste. This beer basically tasted to me like what a good imperial stout should (dark malts, fruits etc.) and the bourbon complimented it nicely instead of overpowering it like is sometimes the case in barrel aged beers.

This was far as away my favorite beer of the festival and it cemented Central Waters for me as my favorite brewery.

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Brickhouse BBQ

Not quite a fully opaque black. Certainly some light coming through the edges revealing a dark brown brew. Little head, bit what is there is dark tan in color and sticks to the edges. Very little lacing. Aroma is coconut, chocolate, dark malts, and barrel. Taste is similar. Moderately sweet, slightly boozy, some barrel, some bourbon, dark malts, dark fruits, a touch of coconut, and just a bit of chocolate. Mouthfeel is thin for the style but about par for CW. Overall a very enjoyable beer, but not one that I believe warrants the hype.

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Pour is black with thin brown head. Nose has chocolate and a touch of peanut butter, light wood note and a hint of bourbon in back. Taste has a hint of that peanut butter, less wood, still some. Some cakey chocolate batter, a bit like a slightly muted Rare. Good full body, moderate carbonation and a smooth creamy feel.

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm happy I had a chance to try this at a tasting the other night. Thanks to Skippychop!

Beer poured with a higher viscosity than regular BBS, thank god. Actually, the body appeared quite nice, with minimal head. Dark black.

Smells fantastic. Mostly bourbon and and roast notes. Not a ton of the umami flavor which is so popular with other big BA stouts. This is especially noticeable, considering we just went through a bottle of Assassin. Smell is rich and inviting.

The bourbon is most present in this one. It is the cleanest execution of a bourbon stout aimed to simply highlight the bourbon and the base beer. The beer is void of the other (more sweet and gimmicky) big BA flavors, such as umami, maple, toffee, etc... Don't get me wrong, I love these flavors, but this beer is designed to be pure, rich, simple, and delicious. There is a decent amount of dark chocolate/fudge flavor. It reminds me of Parabola, except not as hot, much smoother, and clean.

Mouthfeel is indeed fuller than CW BBS, which I appreciate. It's low-medium carbonation. The beer is excellent in this category.

To me, this beer is the quintessential example of a classic BA stout. Not as complex as some, but that's not the point. It's awesome.

Fifteen from Central Waters Brewing Co.