Fifteen | Central Waters Brewing Co.

FifteenFifteen

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
centralwaters.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by mobius387 on 01-28-2013

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Dark brown with some ruby edges. Light brown head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell- The dominant smell is dark fruit followed by huge bourbon notes.

Taste- Bourbon dominates. The dark fruit that was in the nose isn't there. Some booze finishes. The highlight is super smooth bourbon that I'm attributing to 26 months in the barrel.

Mouthfeel- Thinner body then expected but it is still super rich and smooth. Moderate carbonation that helps boost the feel.

Overall- The bourbon is amazingly smooth and balanced. I love the mouthfeel and nose. It is a little lighter in color than Id like from a RIS but overall it was delicious.

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle opened alongside 1414, Peruvian, BBBW, BBS, BBCS. Also, I'm a huge fan of CW - they are really good people and I have been supporting them for a long time.

Pours black, like you'd expect. Short tannish cocoa head. Looks good. Smells of vanilla, a bit of dark chocolate and bourbon. Smells nice, though maybe a touch mellow. Certainly inviting. Taste was very balanced and smooth. Dark chocolate, vanilla, bourbon spirit and a bit of wood come through. The body was inviting - smooth and relatively full. Enjoyable. Overall, this beer was one of the better from the balanced and subtle category. Nothing big in the flavor at all, but a nice drinker. I might even say it is a bit modest. Time was nice to this one, as it opened up (not from warmth, as it was served slightly above cellar) and you spent some time with it. Probably not the perfect beer to enjoy at a tasting unless you wanna give it 45 minutes to sip and get a decent pour (like I did do).

So, we decided to open a BCBS. This really popped in contrast to the 15. Following that, we opened Black Tuesday and Grey Monday. BT was a little hot and I think the argument could be made the 15 was better, but not substantially. Grey Monday was just better and that is that. Having recently enjoyed a lot of these barrel-aged imperials, this is the order of some recent ones I've done: Grey Monday = BCBS > BA Pt5 > 15 = 1414 = BT > Black Note > CW BBS.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

4.29/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Reviewing Fifteen from Central Waters Brewing Company out of Amherst, Wisconsin. This beer is Fourteen Fourteen aged for an additional fourteen months. Fourteen Fourteen, in turn, is Satin Solstice aged for fourteen months in select fourteen year old bourbon barrels (essentially their Bourbon Barrel Stout with extra TLC). In short, this beer is Satin Solstice aged for twenty-eight months in choice fourteen year old bourbon barrels.

Score: 93

January 2013 vintage bottle served in a Portsmouth snifter and enjoyed on 02/24/13. Review is adapted from iPhone notes. I lost my original photo, so I am using the picture I took of my tap pour at the Local Option during Chicago Craft Beer Week.

Appearance: Pour a deep brown color with a nearly black colored core and a caramel-brown halo when held up to light. Minimal bubbly tan head off the pour. Oily lacing, minimal retention. 3.5/5

Smell: Vanilla, alcohol (not quite "fusel" but the booziness is apparent in the nose), bourbon, molasses, chocolate and faint coconut. Dark fruit too, but not as much as 1414. The nose is more "barrel" and less "stout" than Fourteen Fourteen. 4.5/5

Taste: Boozy bourbon, fudge, oak and smooth vanilla primarily. Hints of raisin, licorice and fig. A little caramel too. Lots of barrel flavor here, and the bourbon qualities outweigh the chocolatiness. The marry of the chocolate and oak is noticeably choppy, and not as seamlessly integrated as Fourteen Fourteen was. 4.25/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, low carbonation. A little dry, but not too dry. A little sweeter than I recall 1414 being. 4.5/5

Overall: I have had the opportunity to sample this beer off tap twice (at the release party and at Local Option during Chicago Craft Beer Week) and out of the bottle several times since the release. The bottles that I have had have been "hotter", "rougher" and less smoothly integrated in the flavor profile than the tap pours that I have had, and there has been some quality variation bottle-to-bottle as well. Fifteen is a very good beer, but Fourteen Fourteen -- both aged and fresh -- is the better beer. Fifteen needs to age a little in the bottle in my opinion.

Cost: $15 for a 22 oz (bomber) bottle.

4.99/5  rDev +14.4%

One of the many bottles I have cellaring, 4 to be exact.

Thought I'd compare my thoughts of bottle versus tap at the brewery.

A: Pouring out the bottle a dark almost black, yet no opaque into the glass, similar to 1414. A hair more viscous. I wish I couldn't see the reddish brown hues, but that's the only area this beer suffers.

S: Overwhelming to the nose, massive flavors of toffee, vanilla, coconut, and a nice smooth bourbon spirit presence. Aging in barrels this long you'd expect that. A very nice baker's chocolate combined with sweet caramel overwhelms the olfactory. Amazing.

T: What can I say, this is the best Imperial Stout I have ever tasted, especially with the barrel character. Layers and layers of complexity. I am seriously speechless. I taste amazing stout meets barrel. Smooth as can be. Absolutely incredible.

M: I used to knock CW for a lot of their stouts being thin, and to be honest, I thought this one would suffer as well, 1414 was a bit thin, but this is perfect. I don't know what they did, but they balanced out everything so nicely, no syrupy characteristics, perfectly carbonated. A+

O: Once again, CW knocks it WAY out of the park. This beer is perfect. I'm excited to see what a year or two makes this...But how can you already improve upon darn near perfection! YUM!

Fifteen from Central Waters Brewing Co.