Vanilla Porter | Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)

good
Vanilla PorterVanilla Porter

Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)
New York, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Added by Sammy on 08-31-2005

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 33 | Ratings: 101
4.02/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to Steve for hauling this growler back from the brewery for a taste. Served at just over fridge temperature in a pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a medium brown with a light tan head.

Smell- Aromas of coffee and vaniila, more of that than the roasted character you might expect from a porter. Very, very nice... the sweetness is really enticing.

Taste- Roasted coffee with vanilla undertones. Exquisitely balanced with regard to malt and hops, it's a great porter by all accounts.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Foaming and active, certainly exciting on the palate. Delicious, and a treat from Rohrbach.

After a hearty dinner at the Rochester Dinosaur BBQ, I was in the mood for desert.

Served in a standard shaker pint, the beer is black with brown highlights

Nose of brown sugar vanilla and roasted grains. It is inviting and not artificial smelling.

Taste tracks the smell. Sweet with vanilla notes, roasted malts, a bit of brown sugar and a hint of smoke.

The mouth is an enjoyable and smooth. Easy drinker, I had 2 after dinner. My 2nd good beer from this brewer and I must say, Well Done!

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Had to wait a bit while they changed kegs, so this was the first glass from the new one. 2 fingered head that dissipated rather slowly. The color was a deep ruby brown. Lacing was light on the glass.

S: Vanilla and roasted malts. There is no denying that this is a vanilla flavored beer. Almost too much vanilla!

T: Overwhelming vanilla. This is a dessert beer, without a doubt. The caramel and chocolate malts were also there. After swallowing, you get a similar taste in your mouth after you eat vanilla ice cream. Not bad, but not completely balanced. Was this real vanilla bean they used? Makes me wonder...

M: Great mouthfeel, overall. It was very smooth and sat in my mouth well.

D: As much as this was a dessert beer, vanilla is one of my favorite flavors. I would most likely have this again.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Nice black color. Not too heavy, classic porter feel.

S - The Vanilla tones come righ out from the pour. Good stuff right there.

T- The porter comes over the vanilla, but the vanilla leaves the aftertaste.

M - feels good in the mouth. I liked the light taste of the porter

D - It's a great beer to taste of have with a meal in the winter. Not an all night beer, but good for a growler.

*On a personal note, this was the first beer that I got in my growler (a limited Rochester Red Wings Rohrbach growler). She's a great friend of mine and this porter is greatly missed by her.

4.16/5  rDev +11.5%

I've discussed the vanilla porter with the guys at Rohrbachs and it has become clear that there was a bad batch that circulated Rochester at somepoint over the winter.

My first experience was a growler purchase from Beers of the World. The vanilla flavor was so harsh I could not finish even one beer. I thought at that point I was doomed.

Later I ventured into Rohrbachs to sample it from the source. I figured I could also discuss the hellish growler I had. Well, much to my surprise when they first poured me the pint I swore up and down it was the wrong beer.

The vanilla porter I had at Rohrbachs (and had, and had, and had) was absolutely fantastic. The vanilla flavor is very subtle. The smell from the pint indicated a faint vanilla flavor as well.

The head was beautiful and thick and stuck around for quite some time as I drained pint after pint.

The appearance was nothing special, in reality once you get that dark you aren't going to get much difference. I gave it a lower score on drinkability because after awhile the vanilla flavor does creep up on you. Three pints in a night would be pushing it. After the third pint I swore I had had enough vanilla to last a lifetime, but a few days later I went back for more.

3.06/5  rDev -18%

This porter has the deep dark brown color typical of all porters. It's mouth feel is thick and creamy. Overall this is a good tasting porter but the vanilla flavor is too overwhelming for my taste. I would prefer the vanilla flavor to be tad more subtle.

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours from the growler with a medium tan head and lacing that fades quickly. Starts with a nice vanilla aroma, and very subtle vanilla taste. Vanilla fades away quickly as classic porter taste takes over. After a while, chocolate taste is revealed as beer warms. Hints of coffee behind the chocolate malt sweetness. A solid drinkable porter.

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%

OK, this is a porter, unlike their regular porter which is a stout. Vanilla extract thrown in a good dose. Just too vanilla aroma and taste. It kept the palate a bit more active but still on thin side. Well carbonated and sugar in the vanilla extract.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Vanilla Porter from Rohrbach Brewing Company (Brewpub)