Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mort Subite Gueuze | Brouwerij Mort Subite

Style: Gueuze

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-20-2001

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

3.21/5  rDev -7.5%

No freshness date on the bottle. Poured a dark amber gold into a tulip. Beautiful looking beer, nice two finger head that settles into a substantial frothy cap and leaves beautiful rings of lacing all down the glass.

Smells herbal, grassy and sweet with some hints of citrus fruit and just the faintest suggestion of a little out-doorsy musk.

Very sweet with not much tartness. I get some syrupy kind of fruit flavors like canned peaches and a little bit of pineapple brett flavor. Even as it warms there's not much funk or tartness, just a little more cellar and wood as it opensup. Kind of a let down.

Mouthfeel is good. Smooth and full but not viscous or oily as one would expect from the syrupy sweetness.

My experience with the style is still limited, but this was a disappointing beer that gets an "above average" because it looked pretty and followed the style guidelines.

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 37.5ml bottle. No freshness date? First I've seen from Belgium with that!

And if it doesn't get any stranger, this gueuze is clearly not bottle conditioned. Hopefully it doesn't taste too filtered as a result. It's clear, but there's plenty of carbonation to be seen. I've seen other gueuzes like this, but it doesn't help that my first one was made by Cantillon. Have I become spoiled? Does it matter? Anyhow, some light alcohol leggings, a nice creamy head that maintains itself... good presentation overall.

Smell manages to be pretty citrusy and definitely funky. Not overpowering, but still a slight lambic funk that makes it notable. Some slight tartiness, sour peaches, white grapes. There is some spiciness that reveals itself a well. Not a bad combo, although not necessarily worth writing a whole paragraph on.

The taste and mouthfeel are unique here - but it's far, far more maltier than I expected it to be. There is that trademark Lambic sourness that is present in the taste. However, I'm surprised how sweet this is. In spite of zestiness, there are toffee notes all over the place on this one. The herbs reveal itself more on the palate - quite a medicated finish, to say the least. Creamy and easy to drink, but the sweet and sourness becomes slightly nauseating during the end. This is probably best enjoyed colder, as the sweetened notes reveal themselves more as this warms up.

A decent but slightly hectic gueuze when it comes to balancing out its body and flavor. Not really an fine example of what gueuzes can be, in my view. While I think it is a decent beer, I probably would not revisit it for 4 euros a bottle - which is the same price of some finer beers of this style which are available in France.

3.8/5  rDev +9.5%

On Tap in La Mort Subite in Brussels Belgium in a Mort Subite chalice.

Ah, at long last a Gueuze on tap. There should be much more of this in this world...

A: Pour is a peach light yellow color with a light white head with light lacing.

S: Aroma of mostly lemon rind with some funk. There is plenty of oak barrel and some sweetness present.

T: Sweet and funky with a light sweetness. Fruity flavors of peach and a bit of apricot. Definitely a good malty sweetness in here and lightly sour but more funk.

M: Light in body and light in carbonation, almost flat and served directly at room temperature. I think everything about this coming together at room temperature and being how it is intended to be served has made my opinion of this beer much better than many others ratings. Unfortunately, many people are drinking it probably colder and out of a bottle and it is likely an entirely different beer which is nowhere near as LIVE as this is directly at their bar in Belgium. What a treat to have it this way.

I am curious to try the bottled version now only for comparison's sake.

3.88/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Dan colored. Off white head. Crystal clear. Nice lacing.

Smell: Cidery smell. Sweet, malty.

Taste: Sweet tasting. sour middle, nice balance. Major malt in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Not to style. Needs more puckering.

Overall: Tasty but not sour enough. a little too sweet. I like the beer though

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle purchased in Switzerland.

Pours quite surprisingly dark; a deep burnished amber colour, with a fizzy and inconsistent head of large-bubbled film. Lacing seems intricate, but again is patchy and pixelated, forming from large bubbles. Not bad, but I've seen better.

Nose is vinous and tart with acidity, but also surprisingly sweet. Fresh chlorinated water character, with a touch of ozone and oxygenated water. Fruit juice sweetness needs to be toned down, but otherwise ok.

Taste is definitely too sweet, with a white grape juice character dominant, and only a touch of funk or acidity. Lingering green bitterness on the back, with a slight oak note, but the oak just sets off the sweetness, rather than cradling the acidity. Quite average.

A very disappointing Gueuze. I'm not sure I've had a worse one. Unbalanced, rather insipid and not at all inspiring.

1.52/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Best by: 10/2012
Brussels trip

A: Pours an orange golden ale with single finger light tan head which falls quickly to a quilt of the same. Central cylinder of carb rises centrally from the bottom. Cobweb lacing.

S: Hints of wild yeast in with a ton of sweetness. My initial thought is this is more like a Faro than a Gueuze. Sweet syrupy smells.

T: First thought - artificial orange concentrate. It's hard to get past, but then I find some copper kettle, burnt sugar. A bit of cheap sweet and sour sauce.

M: Thin body with low to moderate fine carbonation. Near dry finish.

O: This beer is far from what a Gueuze tastes like in my experience. This is super sweet and syrupy.

2.5/5  rDev -28%

A: clear, coppery and headless

S: apple juice and cider, suspiciously lacking funk.

T: flowery and fruity, a sickly sweet and slightly vinegar finish.

M: light and juicy.

O: juice with alcohol added, I think they're stretching the definition of the gueuze with this one, I think it might be more aptly classified as a wine cooler.

1.85/5  rDev -46.7%

Bottle says "Mort Subite Gueuze Original" -- I hope this is the right one. Beer served in a wine glass. Carbonation low, thin white head, dark amber beer, clear...doesn't look like any gueuze I've ever seen.

Smells sweet like a faro, not sour.

Beer is sweet and mildly sour, it has a grainy finish to it and overall it is kind of gross. The finish is mildly dry. Overall I will never have this beer again and I would be likely to avoid this entire brewery because of this beer.

3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Although lambics are generally flat, this example has a bounty of head which overlays the glass in a white canvas that's big enough you could project a movie onto it. This mini-champagne bottle apparently equipped the beer with champagne-like effervescence. Indeed, the tall, slim, branded glass in which it's served furthers that impression.

It's an honest testament to industry that it can bastardize even the most purely artisanal, historic and niche products; this smells closer to lemonade than it does the blended, spontaneously fermented beers of the Pajottenland region. It is saturated with refined white sugar. At least some mustiness is perceived, but it's not exactly charming.

Nor is the spoiled cider taste. If Mort Subite Gueuze were popular enough to be noticed by associations like the National Diabetes Association or the Heart and Stroke Foundation, it'd probably replace soda at the top of their target lists. It drinks like corn syrup further sweetened with sugar (so it is basically soda). Nevermind the damn rabbit, a shot of insulin should be customary with this particular gueuze.

This much sugar is problematic, but what upsets me more is it lacking in all things inherent to historic lambics: the cellar-like mustiness, piercing acidity and puckering sourness that typically cut sweetness, and truly characterize the style. A gueuze without one of these features is sketchy; one without all three is simply not a true gueuze.

Drinking Mort Subite's gueuze is like watching an elementary school play of the movie Casino: you know that all swearing and violence and mature content - so all the good parts and basically the whole damn picture - are going to be taken out. What's the point of watching it if it's been censored and diluted down for general audiences? Gueuze is not for everyone. Commercialized gueuze, apparently, isn't either...

Commercialized products designed for mainstream appeal are fundamental opposites to the traditional, artisan products of lambic producers: One represents art, creativity, personal expression, human scale and touch, the continuity of culture and tradition; the other is driven by market-ideology, dollars and cents, mainstream appeal and commercial success. I know which side of that debate I stand - the one opposite to Mort Subite Gueuze.

3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip
My bottle, which I bought in France, is not the same as the one shown on this webpage, but I believe I am drinking the same stuff.

My first gueuze beer

A: Clear amber, fine lace that dissipates quickly

S: funk, tomato juice, tart apple

T: soy sauce umami (actually very nice), a mild sweetness (from soy sauce?) on palate, backed by very mellow lactic sour. minor lemony tartness stays a bit longer, but leaves nicely.

M: little bit sticky for my taste. little bit too sweet for me

D: OK

I wished it was little drier and less sweeter. but it seem to have a good sweet-sour taste, but leaning little towards sweet side.

3.74/5  rDev +7.8%

There's was a touch of skunk immediately after I popped the cork but fortunately that blew off pretty quickly. Very sweet sour nose and gives a consistent very thickish foamy head leaving lots of delicate complex lacing all over the glass. Excellent beading too.
In the glass it is yellow brownish with a green hue.
Nice quenching apply sour taste but the mouthfeel lets this down. A bit too smooth and silky for my liking which has a quick slippy quality. The liquid just seems too keen to slide down your throat leaving not much risidual on the tongue or the sides of your mouth. Still a bit of a pleasant surprise though.

4.52/5  rDev +30.3%

A - strong sea spray lacing. Deep dark honey copper color. High clarity.

S - grape marmalade and hay. Crystal malts maybe. Complex

T - sour malty champagne. Strawberry cherry fig. Complex and lovely.

M - sweet smooth frothy playing and fizzing on the tounge.

D - easy to find and cheap .., in Belgium. Sadly delicious and wonderful why must I fly to Europe for this.

3.21/5  rDev -7.5%

375 ml bottle I bought at a random grocery store in a little Provencal town last summer. I think it was 3 euro. Mort Subite apparently means "sudden death."

Appearance: A fine looking beer. Dark orange and perfectly clear. Big rocky white head with good retention and pretty excellent lacing.

Smell: Sweet and slightly sour apple. Very slight acetic hints. Tiny bit o funk. Meh.

Taste: Just way, way to sweet. Cidery and a soft sourness, again hinting at vinegar without tasting overtly so. Finish is dry, but not super clean.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is on the low side for the style. A little to sticky feeling, not crisp and dry.

Drinkability: Its really not bad. Too sweet and not all that interesting (minimally sour, minimally funky). I'll not drink it again.

2.91/5  rDev -16.1%

I got this in Belgium for a friend of mine who hates beer, as an attempt to show him that they don't all taste the same. Unfortunately, I went shopping the day before I left to come home and this was the only gueuze I could dig up at the supermarket. He left it in his cellar for about 3 months and we opened it up last night when he got back from college.

Came in a 37.5cl bottle with cork, as is tradition. It poured into my snifter (we were trying to be classy about it) a light, orange-y gold with a pretty substantial head that left a creamy residue on everything it touched. Very bubbly in appearance. The smell was pretty potent in sweetness, with a very subtle malt background. This carried over into the taste, which was mostly slightly bready sugars. A nice lambic tartness was present, though it failed to balance out the sweetness. Hops were present but very subdued. The mouthfeel was sort of sticky and certainly lacking in substance- very weak and one-dimensional. The carbonation felt a little off; I'd say it probably needed a little more.

This has never been one of my favorite gueuzes, but can be pretty satisfying when cold and you're in the mood for a little something lighter. Overall this was just too sweet. I've heard rumors that mort subite adds extra sugar before refermentation, but I'm not sure if that's true. My friend and I both agreed that it was just alright, and I hope my present didn't do more harm than good!

Mort Subite Gueuze from Brouwerij Mort Subite