Boddingtons Pub Ale | Boddingtons

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 10-20-2001

Ratings: 2,827 |  Reviews: 1,135
4.85/5  rDev +52%

I had this ale for the first time a couple years back in a little pub in Brighton, England. I immediately fell in love with it. It's extremely smooth, thick creamy head and the bitter notes hit the back of the tounge just right. Luckily it's really easy to find here in Phoenix and Churchill's Pub and Grill always have it on tap.

4.82/5  rDev +51.1%

poured thick and goldan and settled slowley, it smells sweet. my first sip and i was in love this is sweet and malty and goes down smooth, this one is the smothist beer i have ever had. this one goes down like drinking creem. the taste is light but hardy at the same time, this is the closest to cream and honey in a beer i have ever had.

4.81/5  rDev +50.8%

This is a great beer anyone who has a chance to enjoy one should.

4.78/5  rDev +49.8%

Bought at Uncle Sudsy's, a six pack shop at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I bought a four pack of pint nitro cans.
Apperance- the apperance is a cool amber
Smell- the smell is very smooth with a creamy aroma
Taste- fabulous taste, very creamy and smooth
Mouthfeel- the beer has a kick to it and makes my mouth tingle
Drinkability- I could drink about eight with out trouble but any more I may fall a few times

4.76/5  rDev +49.2%

A - A very dense amber color.

S- Almost not there, "almost" bready.

T- Excellent, it is exactly what it is supposed to be. Creamy. Perfect Pub Ale

M- Again very creamy, full feeling almost thick.

O- This is definitely one of if not my favorite Ale. Hands down.

Serving Type: Nitro Can

4.76/5  rDev +49.2%

4.7/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From draft at Nick's Pub in St. Louis

This is my favorite ale. I always get this when it is available on draft. From a can it is remarkably similar to draft.

It arrives at the table still rolling with carbonation. It typically settles with a finger or so if thick, rich cream colored head. Medium to dark amber color. Very pleasant aroma.

The taste is very smooth and mellow. Very well balanced. Slight hop flavor, but not strong or intense. This is an excellent beer to start the night with, or for session drinking.

4.68/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer. Not sure why it's reviews are so low.

4.68/5  rDev +46.7%

Wow, I cannot believe this beer rated as poorly as it did! I truly find this a very unique brew.

Its the 'other' Guinness draught being lighter in color, and yet not any less interesting. Its flavor is very mellow, yet rich, and its overall creamy texture make the beer allot of fun to drink.

Its bubbles cascade just as Guinness draught's does...

I purchase this beer after the holidays in January, and consume it through early spring. I will report back later with a more detailed, definitive review of this beer.

4.65/5  rDev +45.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +45.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer, is a really creamy beer. The appearance is perfect, I ve never see a beer from can appear like just poured from a pub tap. Taste is a bit weak for the tipe of beer, but terrific if consedered that is in can. Really good, I will fdefinetly buy again!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love this beer. The cascading effects is amazing. Great session beer. I bet its even better on tap. It's taste is smooth and pure, with a nice amber color with a bueatiful head.

4.6/5  rDev +44.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is my wife’s review--- From pour to finish, this is a great beer.

Appearance: The cascading brew was a delight to watch from the lip of the can, to the bottom of the glass, and back up again… It was like a show. Great head, retention, and lacing… Lasted to the end of the glass. Nice golden honey color.

Smell: Sweet, honey like aroma, but not overpowering, just right.

Taste: Phenomenal, loved it. Smooth flavor, a little strong at the finish, but not bad.

Mouth feel: Creeeaaaammmyyyy and ssmmmmoootttthhhh. Low on carbonation makes for better (or more) intake without feeling bloated. The nitro cans have it going on.

Drinkability: I would consider this a session beer. As a true Irish Lass, is pains me too say that have to drink, and like, an English Pub Ale. However, my Grand-pappy will have to roll over, because this is to damn creamy and smooth.

Follow the suggestions, drink cool, not cold.

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

Smooth style and very light. Easy on the taste and easy to drink. Cool and refreshing for a quick "light and easy" party beer or summer refresher on the pond!

4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

A champion beer in every sense of the word. I am surprised at the low ratings for this. It has a wonderful appearance (and I am not a big amber guy) and a perfect head. The taste is toasty and comforting. Probably the best of the more "popular" beers.

4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

My favorite ale. Served from a can, this beer poured an extremely thick, creamy head that dissipated quickly. The color was a lightish yellow. Smelled rich and creamy. This was the first time I had experienced such a sweet dairy-like smell. Could have sworn there was milk in it. Tasted incredibly sweet and creamy, but felt a little harsh in the mouth for some reason, however this harshness was countered by the incredible taste. Easy to drink since the flavor was so incredible!

4.55/5  rDev +42.6%

This is without a doubt, my wintertime beer. Love the fact that it pours like a Guinness, but it is an ale. The lack of traditional carbonation allows you to drink more and not get that one gets from traditional beers. I wouldn't drink this in a warm climate, but once the temperature dips below 60˚, this is the beer I turn to.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons