Boddingtons Pub Ale | Boddingtons

Added by Todd on 10-20-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,904 |  Reviews: 1,156
2.91/5  rDev -8.8%

Served on tap, into an imperial pint.

A: Clear yellow, not very appealing since it looked like a urine sample. Great cream head saved the appearance for me. Head stuck around literally until the last drink. Left heavy lacing.

S: Almost no smell at all. Maybe some malts and a little bit of fruit but you have to get pretty close to smell anything.

T: Not great, not awful. Really simple, a little watery, malts, bitter finish.

M: Incredibly smooth and creamy. No perceptible carbonation.

D: Very drinkable and light.

This isn't the best beer I've had, but it's not the worst either. Average, that's the best description. I won't go looking for this one, but if there wasn't anything else offered I wouldn't mind having another one.

2.9/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Had to try this is a little pub in Pennsylvania. Nitrous head, thick and creamy - that was nice. Smelled floral and wheaty too, and had a nice color. Tasted like water. I kid you not. Just nothing there. No aftertaste either. Was really a suprise, most of these nitrous bitters are kinda strong ... oh well. I wouldn't order it again.

2.9/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed @ Fox n Hound in Chesterfield, MO. Poured from the nitro-tap into a Pint Glass (for $2.50) and enjoyed only one.

Appearance- Received with a 2 finger of foamy head and has a body and color of a Cider. The head had great retention and has light lacing.

Smell- Has a malty smell with apples in the background. I can also smell a "Stout-like" attribute but can't put my finger on it. –

Taste- Very strange taste. Starts off foamy and creamy like a stout and then an apple/citrus taste comes on strong, almost cider-like. Very sweet and WAY too much sugar used for it to be a English Pale Ale. Have had many of these while in England/Scotland and this doesn't resemble the style at all! –

Mouthfeel- –Medium but Thin Bodied, Creamy, Smooth, but then leaves apple on the palate. This was such a strange characteristic!

Overall- –I have had Boddington's Pub Ale out of a can before but having it on-nitro-tap was a very different experience. This apple aroma and taste was very shocking but didn't offend me. What I didn't like that it wasn't like many English Pale Ales I've had in the past and so I can't give it the marks it deserves. Would be easily enjoyed by anyone out there but after this one went straight for a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

2.9/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.9/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Beautiful nitro pour with neutral aromas & taste. Highly drinkable.

2.89/5  rDev -9.4%

This "draughtflow system" pint can pours with a huge head of quickly-dissipating bubbles and no lace.

The nose is sweet and even a bit toast-like.

Flavor is mild all the way, and even watery. I'll give it points for being "creamy" and "smooth", yes, but this beer has little character or body. Thin and uninteresting, this is one to avoid.

2.89/5  rDev -9.4%

English beer not my thing.

2.89/5  rDev -9.4%

Hazy dark yellow with a cascading effect from the glycol system pour. Beautiful beer.

Smell is light malt, citrusy, some light hop presense.

Taste is grapefruit bitterness, untoasted grains, slight aluminium, and a medium hop presense. Not very impressive, not enough flavor for a good EPA.

Mouthfeel is not too bad though, chewy and the right amount of carbonation for an EPA, not too much that is.

Drinkability was lower due to me not enjoying watery beers.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was always described to me as a blonde Guinness, but immediately upon receiving this brew I knew that this comparison was only based on the nitro. Even the mouthfeel is way different, something that was difficult for me to describe. The smell was of an American adjunct lager and the taste was boring and bland, comparably less exciting to that of a light beer.

Maybe this beer has a story, or a place in a culture or scene that I'm unfamiliar with, but in my scene, it has no place. Don't really see the point of it and it wasn't worth my time.

1 pint nitro-can

Boddingtons Pub Ale was a clear golden color with a perfect white head. The head had great retention and left some lacing. The nose was lightly malty. The taste was light malt, a little fruity, with a little hops and dry finish. The mouthfeel was light and creamy with low carbontion.
When I opened this beer it gushed out all over the counter. I guess thats why it says "carefully open" on the back of the can.

2.89/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - 3 fingers of a creamy tight foam on top of a clear amber body.

S - Grain, leather, hints of lemon, metallic.

T - Grassy grain with a touch of honey-like sweetness. Finishes clean.

M - Creamy but light bodied.

Very thin flavors all around. Pretty watery tasting. Definitely sessionable.

2.89/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a clear gold with a thick head of cream that outlasts the beer itself. Mild malty notes, touch of honey, gummi bears in the aroma, but not much else. A smell that reminds me of paint thinner does hit me as it warms.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Carbonation is hardly noticeable, as expected. Just a slight tingle on the tongue.

I taste a metallic bitterness, a bit of roasted malt. Not overly powerful in any area, just an all-around subtle ale. A pleasing and delicate sweetness begins to emerge as I make my way through the pint.

While I wouldn't say it's well-rounded, it's certainly pleasant enough. For me, it just doesn't declare itself enough.

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%

This beer is a light british ale with a smooth mouthfeel due to the nitro head produced from the widget. Hops bitterness was very present in this beer, with a light, thin mouthfeel. Low ABV makes this a very drinkable thirst quencher. The last can I had had a slight metallic twinge to it that didn't play well with the hops. I feel they could have gone a little lighter on the hops to balance out the beer.

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%

Air poured so very nice rolling affect and great head on this deep brown ale.
Smelled small amounts of coffee and burnt wheat. Rather average and bland.
The taste was mild coffee, small hints of baking chocolate and oatmeal. This is a rather below average attempt at a Beamish.
Smooth mouthfeel, average drinkabilty, I could have it again but I'd rather a Beamish please!

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Can opens extremely violently, every one opens with beer spraying. Pours with a huge thick, creamy head that hangs around, and leaves residue on your upper lip. I have heard that the US version can't compare to the UK version, which I hope is right. The head is delcious. The rest of the beer isn't very interesting. Malt and cereal grains, with nothing that special. I wouldn't get this again.

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%

Have had this several times: initially, when I didn't know any better, I was a bit taken by it. The color is a pale pale translucent yellow. This has a massive head (due to the nitro); it just comes pouring out. While this is pleasing to watch, I can't help but feel that using the nitro is cheating. This had a weak smell: faint hops and esters. The taste was fairly bland: creamy and buttery. Not very complex at all. The nitro again helped out with the mouthfeel; it is a pleasure to drink something with this much carbonation. However, there are better beers to go to then this.

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured a clear copper color with a frothy, well-retained, off-white head. Nose was hops and fruit with some caramel. Flavor was light on malt with a bit of lingering caramel sweetness. Had a touch of acidity and hop flavor up-front. Not bad, but not particularly good, either. Seemed to be lacking the traditional British character you'd expect in a pub ale--too clean. Mouthfeel was nice and creamy, and the drinkability is okay. Not something I'd want to drink a lot of, but I suppose you could.

Overall, I'd say it's an average beer. With all the outstanding British ales available, there's not much to particularly recommend this one.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons