Boddingtons Pub Ale | Boddingtons

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 10-20-2001

Reviews: 1,126 | Ratings: 2,800
1.61/5  rDev -49.5%

A- Pours nicely. 3/4 inch of head. Pale yellow in color. Looked appetizing.

S- Nothing distinct came out of smelling the beer for me. Comparable to Bud Light or Coors.

T- Watery, not much flavor at all for me. Not much flavor from hops or malt.

M- Light and smooth.

O- The beer was not hard to drink. That being said I did not find much to praise in it.

3.89/5  rDev +21.9%

Look is appetizing - nice amber color reminiscent of the sap that preserved the mosquito that made the cloning of dinosaurs a reality on Jurassic Park...The head is one of the longest enduring I've seen, with a higher than average amount of lacing. Smell is malty, and, of course, so is the taste. I prefer hoppier ales, so I'm not in love with it, but for a malty ale this one is decent. The feel is temporariy slick, but it soon disappates and leaves a pleasant aftertaste. The slick feel can be expected with the amount of malt; again I prefer a dry taste and feel but others with maltier inclinations would like. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but I'm not opposed to having again.

4.16/5  rDev +30.4%

This is my bmc killer; when I want a smooth, cold, somewhat watery beer that I can chug mercilessly, this is it right here. I know that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but to me there are different beers that serve different roles, and this beer fills its role with aplomb. And there's nothing wrong with that.

3.68/5  rDev +15.4%

A truly golden amber forms a thick white head that stays clinging to the glass as it goes down. The sweet airy, with a hint of honey scent made the pour of this brew quite enjoyable. The sweet, malty taste is nice and creamy. After a couple of gulps the creamy thickness with a slight bitter taste at the end makes this for an enjoyable drink. In the end my only thought was give me more.

3.28/5  rDev +2.8%

Note: To be fair, I'd like to mention that this is one of the few beers I'm reviewing from notes I made shortly after trying it. I tried this beer just a few weeks ago.

A - I give the highest score for this beer to the appearance, simply because it was fun to watch the head settle from the three layers (the bottom clear gold layer, the top foamy head layer, and the middle grainy mixture that eventually resettled to the head and body of the beer). The beer was a pale gold color and very clear.

S - A standard bitter beer smell, with a bitter herb scent.

T - The can boasted of Boddington's great heads, and I couldn't agree more. This beer provided one of the creamiest, sweetest heads I have ever tasted. The can's device did a good job, but I suspect that at a pub the flavor is even better (after all, Guinness bottles have a widget and still taste almost nothing like the beer on-tap!). Unfortunately, the rest of the beer left me unimpressed. I wrote on my notes that great beers follow a Gestalt principle, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Great beers are more than just water that has passed through some grains and hops. Boddington's Pub Ale, to me, was just the sum of its parts. Still, the head was awesome. If I ever see this beer on-tap, I will try it to see if it's better than the canned version.

M - Kind of watery and thin, which fits in with my assessment of the body's flavor.

D - Bitter without much flavor means I only finished this beer because I paid for it.

4.68/5  rDev +46.7%

Wow, I cannot believe this beer rated as poorly as it did! I truly find this a very unique brew.

Its the 'other' Guinness draught being lighter in color, and yet not any less interesting. Its flavor is very mellow, yet rich, and its overall creamy texture make the beer allot of fun to drink.

Its bubbles cascade just as Guinness draught's does...

I purchase this beer after the holidays in January, and consume it through early spring. I will report back later with a more detailed, definitive review of this beer.

2.42/5  rDev -24.1%

I had a random can of this in my fridge for months, and figured I'd drink it tonight to make some room for other beers. When I popped the top, it exploded all over my table. Not a good start.

Appearance: Starts off with a nice head, with bubbles streaming up the glass. Settles down to a single-finger of flat, white foam. Translucent, bronze color.

Aroma: Not picking up much on the nose. Hints of citric hops.

Taste: Mildly bitter up front, and then...nothing. A bit like weak lemon water.

Mouthfeel: It's extremely smooth, but doesn't make up for the non-existent flavor.

Overall: I'd take this over a Bud, Miller, or Coors, but that's about it. It's not bad, it just isn't good. At all.

3.65/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

This is not the best beer of all time, sure, but it is getting hit hard on this site!

I just drank one and I'm glad I bought a 4-pack.

Since there have been almost 2000 ratings to date, I'm going to review with respect to them.

A: Darker than you'd expect. Honestly, more head than you'd expect.
S: About what you'd predict. Grains, a bit of grass...not much going on.
T: Better than you think. It's a great cream ale, and if you don't want a cream ale, it's a great dog treat.
M: The creamy mouthfeel of this beer is a real treat. I think this is the least honest category on BA; who can tell me that the mouthfeel of a quad is honestly better than this?
O: If it's on draft and it's happy hour, have one!

4.26/5  rDev +33.5%

after reading reviews on this beer i decided to get one. i thought
the can was very plain to start. but never judge a bbic.

i poured it into my guinness glass andit was appropriate because the beer turned out to be a lighter colored version of it.

this beer is delicious and i regret i only bought one. Its so smooth and easy going down. creamy on the toungue.I just wish the abv was 1% higher and it would be perfect.

i highly recommend.

3.71/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Due to the nitro-can it had that long lasting head.

S: The aroma really threw me I wasn't sure what to expect so this is all I will comment about the smell.

T: I actually liked the taste of this it was my first "pub ale" so I do not know what to compare it to.

M: This beer is a very smooth beer some may find it to have similarities to the smoothness of Guinness or Murphy's Irish Stout from a nitro-can

D: It is a very easy drink.

3.83/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed from pint glass, poured from a 1 pint can w/ widget. 41F at 4.7%ABV

L:- Starts off from the pour, mixing itself with air until settled (like other widget cans). A gold, almost amber color when settled, with a creamy head that remains through the entire drinking experience. Translucent, with few to no bubbles when settled, until swigged, producing a wash of cream along the glass.
S:- Has little smell at all. A hint of metallic at first, which morphs into a touch of malt. Not discouraging, but not jumping at me either.
T:- Mainly yeasty with a sweet maltiness. Very neutral and appealing with no hoppiness.
F:- Creamy and smooth, but leaves a dry/metallic taste once swallowed. Light carbonation feel, which is extremely easy to down.

:- Overall, a decent beer in many ways. Me not being a big fan of hops, enjoy the taste; yet it leaves a slight dryness on the palette to makeup for bitterness. If acquiring from a can; be careful upon popping top, as it can "bubble" up if not settled or poured into a glass quickly. Seems to be unenjoyable for those used to carbonation. Would drink again.

3.06/5  rDev -4.1%

I decided to try Boddingtons based sheerly on the amount we generally sell in a week at work. Nitro can fizzes and the ale pours a frothy honey/gold color. Looks pretty nice, with a guinness-sized head that's just as thick looking. Smells of little malt, mostly a generic beer smell with some hops. Taste is unremarkable, creamy, but little flavor. Hardly any maltiness, but there is a decent hop finish. Very little to recommend in this beer, but it is quite drinkable. Probably won't buy again, due to the fact that there are many more tasty brews out there.

3.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Not a bad looking beer. Pours a golden yellow after the nitro cascade dies down. Thick white head leaving lace down to the bottom of the glass. Aroma is undistinguished, a bit malty, but nothing really noteworthy.
Taste is a letdown after the initial appearance. A bit of hop, a bit of malt, nothing special. Mouthfeel is definitely thin.

Drinkability is very good, but why would you want to? I found no qualities in this beer that aren't better executed elsewhere.

4.12/5  rDev +29.2%

After watching the ferocious air bubbles from the nitro can subside, I observed a rich golden color that is not quite copper, but looked similar to some lagers I have seen. The head is creamy and tan. The smell is a hardly noticible sweet English-type scent. Though the flavor is quite watered down, I really liked it and it tastes like pure malt. Very mild, sweet, and flat. This beer is very easy to drink and I could probably chug these all night. It would be best to balance this one out with something more bitter because it really does drink like water.

2.34/5  rDev -26.6%

Appearance: Poured into a regular pint glass from a 1 pint nitro-can, this beer was quite impressive from the start, with nice cascading effect as the beer readies itself, stabilizing with i nice thumb think frothy, foamy head. The beer itself is about the color of iced tea or bourban whiskey, and has no haze.

Smell : What smell? As much as I tried not much aroma came from this baby. There was a slight malt smell but even that was very faint. IMHO it smelled a bit like natural light...

Taste: Nothing to write home about here. No hops, no crispness, not much of anything. That is, unless you count the aftertaste...
'
Mouthfeel: Well, this beer feels like water. The can says "Smooth and creamy," I say "Not so much."

Drinkabillity: I'm not sure if I'll finish this 4pack, what does that tell you.

3.76/5  rDev +17.9%

On-tap, Jake's Cigars and Spirits, Lincoln, NE:

Appearance: Milky pour, very thick head of foam. Solid golden, classic appearance. Big fan of the appearance. 5/5

Smell is light, hoppy, sweet. What Budweiser should be. 4/5

Taste: Slightly bitter and hoppy. A little watery at first for my tastes. Lacks complexity. But not bad. 3/5

Sits well in mouth. 4/5

3.91/5  rDev +22.6%

To me, Boddingtons is the "caramel" version of the "chocolate" Guinness if that makes sense. From the cascade to the head consistency, the feel in the mouth to the fairly intense lacing - they're very similar. It's a smooth and very drinkable beer that you can just put down without even realizing. The appearance is simple but pleasant with a light honey color. The head is thick and marshmallow like, and it just won't go away. Not much of a nose, which would probably be its biggest problem. This is a classic though, and because of that, itÂ’s not the most complex. It's a staple, not something that pushes the boundaries, and it should be appreciated as such. It's best on draught and pairs well with many deserts.

4.24/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good ale. Would choose this over most pilsners at a bar. Semi brownish color with hints of nuts & cream. Very smooth finish on draft. Easy drinkin beer.

2.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Had to try this is a little pub in Pennsylvania. Nitrous head, thick and creamy - that was nice. Smelled floral and wheaty too, and had a nice color. Tasted like water. I kid you not. Just nothing there. No aftertaste either. Was really a suprise, most of these nitrous bitters are kinda strong ... oh well. I wouldn't order it again.

3.06/5  rDev -4.1%

Ahhhh Boddingtons. I like to call it "Guiness Extremely Light." After exploding the nitro can on opening, the beer pours to a golden color, if not somewhat hazy, with excellent cascading. A thick, creamy head then forms and stays with the beer the rest of the way.

There are some hop and malt aromas here, but they are very light and somewhat metallic. Some citrous and fruity overtones. The beer is easy to drink, very light and creamy mouthfeel, although it can be considered somewhat flat and devoid of any punch.

Still, if you offer me one I will not turn it down. After the initial excitement, it's a mellow ale best suited for a mellow drinking session.

3.64/5  rDev +14.1%

One of the prettiest beers I have ever poured. Has a cascade like Guinness, a thick head that never leaves and coats the glass as you down it. Color changes from a deep yellow to a lighter gold as the cascade settles itself into the head.
The smell is not quite as impressive, mostly hops with a little citrus and grain aroma.
Taste is great, rich, slightly bitter, a little sweet honey, and a hint of fruit. Very well balanced hops. Aftertaste is not great but I can deal with it for a beer this good.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, I think the nitro can gives it the creamy feel but it is worth it. A little on the low side of carbonation and gets flat toward the end of the glass.
This is one that I have been drinking for years and continually pick up when I find a place that sells the four pack of pint cans. Even better when you can find it on tap.

4.45/5  rDev +39.5%

This beer is one that everyone should have. You can quaff this one all night as its flavor is not going to be overpowering nor will the alcohol content kick you in the ass. This is one for drinking with a ton of friends at the local dive bar when all you want to do is have hearty fun and conversation. Better on tap, so if you can find a place that serves it, go there, and knock on the gates to Heaven.

3.49/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Being a nitro-can pours a great head, a finger and a half, that lasts the entire time...golden orange color

S: muted cereal grains, unfortuately reminds me of the big two american beers (bud and miller)...the downfall of nitro

T: sweet front end with a lingering bitterness...sometimes a bit of a metallic aftertaste but not always not sure of the reason...not complex but for me enjoyable

M: like most nitro cans you get a bit of head with each drink...for me this is enjoyable

D: good beer to watch with a sports game...don't have to think about what you are tasting...straight-forward everyday beer

3.43/5  rDev +7.5%

A-Pours golden white (Caused by the Nitro) after all the bubbles have finished doing their thing the ale is a golden amber, with a nice white creamy head

S-Smells a little sweet, but not really a whole lot going in there, I kinda get a little bit of hops but a very faint smell

T-I get a little of honey, a little bitter after taste but not overly bitter

M-Smooth, clean, its not very carbonated pretty light for a ale

D-Pretty drinkable, I could probably drink of 2 or 3 of these due to the lack of carbonation, but I think the flavor of this beer would get boring to me after a while

4.4/5  rDev +37.9%

This is a full-bodied ale, but very smooth and refreshing. The can produces a lot of head, but it's part of the experience. Serve very cold, either alone or with hearty foods, such as steaks or other meats on the grill. This beer has the ultimate draught can ~ it only pales in comparison to the real thing. On tap, this is my absolute favorite beer. It's as smooth and refreshing as a cool glass of water on a hot day, but full and rich as any quality brewed pale ale. This beer is my standard.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons