Boddingtons Pub Ale | Boddingtons

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 10-20-2001

Ratings: 2,813 |  Reviews: 1,130
3.76/5  rDev +17.9%

Had my first can of this tonight. You definitely want to pour it into a tall glass. Watching the head form is a truly delightful sight. It looks like you are pouring liquid vanilla ice cream out of a can. The tiny bubbles cascade furiously up to the top as a beautiful head is formed. It is similar to a Guinness nitro-can but more intense. Less colorful but more impressive.

It smells pleasant - a sweet vanilla cream smell with hints of coffee, yeast, malt and hops.

Mouth feel is not overly impressive in my opinion. It is creamy but a bit on the watery side. I found myself wishing it was a bit more carbonated.

Drinkability is good. If you can drink water, you can drink this! You get a mild bitter aftertaste but it is very subtle and well balanced.

I enjoyed this beer and glad I tried it. It might not be my first choice next time but I will come back to it again as drinking it is a delightful experience.

2.98/5  rDev -6.6%

The nitro-can is always fun, though I rarely deal with one. It produces the intended look, giving this pale yellow ale a superbly creamy head, looking just like a slab of ice cream was carefully placed on top. 3 points for the unassuming, fairly drab yellow liquid, but a definite 6 outta 5 for the amazing head. And the voluminous lace sheets that cover the glass.

Smells very English pale ale, no doubt there. Big, bready, yeasty, with a dab of rich homemade butterscotch bringing it all together.

Unfortunately the experience sinks from there. Flavor is like a watery version of the aroma, offering ghosts of fresh yeasty bread and the pale likeness of butter rum candies. Not bad by any means, but not helped by the...

Mouthfeel. This may very well be the intended feel of this nitro-canned pale ale, and may approximate, as best it can, the real hand pulled thing you'd receive in any given pub in the town of Luton. But it feels flat and thin to me, and I'm not a big fan of flat and thin. Unless you're talking pizza crust.

Worth the experience. Looks and smells great. But not anxious to try it again...

1.51/5  rDev -52.7%

Had this beverage on tap at the local irish pub. Poured into a pint glass and left a two finger white head that leaves lace and lasts for the duration.

Has a less than aromatic smell and the has a bitter metallic taste. I did chug it down but near painful at the end. I would not recomend this beer.

3.41/5  rDev +6.9%

Annoying nitro widget! Opening it resulted in beer spilling out all over my pants and shirt. I forgot these cans do that.

Well, into a plastic cup (I'm at work--friday beer cart) it's a nice clear amber color with a smooth nitro head, dense and lasting. Very grainy nose, sweet with only a hint of hops. Flavor follows the nose: quite grainy, though not as sweet, and hops but a distant impression, lightly felt. Not an interesting beer, not tasty... but it's better than the Bud Light and MGD 64 that they also bought for the beer cart.

3.28/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a clear-light amber after the nitro-ed fizz dies off, leaving a thick frothy one-finger head. Light, earthy, yet slightly metallic smell reveals a smooth, well-balanced flavor that suffers mightily from a metallic canned taste. This is true-to style in terms of very faint hop bitterness balanced by overly smooth and buttery malts. Feels much heavier than you would expect from the beer's other aspects. All in all, I think this one is a very sessionable pub ale - satisfies, without demanding much from you or your taste buds.

3.62/5  rDev +13.5%

Nitro-can gives way to the cascading effect of colors into the pint glass. After settling, a perfect golden-copper color with a two finger head forms. Some hops, maltiness and metal in the nose. Taste is very smooth, with a touch of hoppiness that allows for a very mild citrus flavor. Slight bitterness in the aftertaste, very malty and fresh tasting beer. Some faint metallic can taste that lingers around on the taste buds. Mouthfeel is insanely creamy and smooth with a very mild carbonation. The drinkability of this beer is off the charts. Not a very complex beer, but it is one heck of a drinker for sure.

2.73/5  rDev -14.4%

Consumed on a cruise to the Mexican Riveria. Brought to the table in the can and a mug. Popped the top and heard the fizz. Poured into the mug and I am met with an amber colored ale and a bright white foam that stays the entire session. Unfortunately this was the highlight of the session. Very malty aroma with some slight hops possibly. Maybe a whiff of fruit in there too. After the first sip I am getting a metallic taste to start followed by some light hops and a long bitter finish. Dull beer. The drinkablility was very low as the metallic taste was tiresome and there are too many beers to try. I will say I would be happy to try this at the source someday and re-review.

3.11/5  rDev -2.5%

Transparent golden body topped by creamy white head that sticks around for a while. Aroma of sugar, floral, cream, and slight hop leaf. Cream, milk, slight cereal, flour, hop dryness towards the finish. Thick, creamy mouthfeel with little carbonation. Lacking flavor and containing no standout characteristics other than creaminess, this beer is average in all aspects.

From notes. Poured into a pint at Elephant and Castle in Grove City, PA. Paired with fish n chips. Nice copper color and one finger head. It may have been the atmosphere but this is exactly how I wanted my brew to look. The aroma was nice and clean with a malt base and a kiss of hops. Body was medium and the mouthfeel was extremely creamy. Is the draft version nitro? Washed down my fish n chips quite well. Is it fantastic? No. Is it cool to have at a pretend English Pub? Yes, for me it was.

4.29/5  rDev +34.5%

This is a great beer. It's perfect for cold weather. The head is what makes this beer perfect. Nose is excellent. I'd recommend this beer to a person looking to spend some time with some imports.

Also, It's fairly cheap for an import. I It's just as good as most other British beers.

3.37/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - This stuff cannot wait to get out of that can! Bubbles over when cracked so get to pouring! Nice tan color on the pour with tons of head, settles down to a nice deep amber, almost brown.

S - Slight malt smell with a tinge of sugary sweetness but not overpowering. Faint.

T - Lighter than a stout with a surprising and nice bite to it. Bitterish taste pairs well with the smooth mouthfeel.

M - Creamy smooth really nice flowing mouth feel. Silky right to the finsh.

D - A nice beer. Better than average and I'm generally not a huge Brit-beer fan. This would wash down some fish-n-chips rather well.

4.55/5  rDev +42.6%

This is without a doubt, my wintertime beer. Love the fact that it pours like a Guinness, but it is an ale. The lack of traditional carbonation allows you to drink more and not get that one gets from traditional beers. I wouldn't drink this in a warm climate, but once the temperature dips below 60˚, this is the beer I turn to.

3.35/5  rDev +5%

bought a widget can of this. barely put any pressure on the tab and the can pretty much exploded with head shooting me in the hand and face and dripping onto my desk. really, Boddingtons?

A - despite my mishap, an incredibly creamy head was poured that I stared at for a good 2 or 3 minutes as it swirled and settled. beer itself is a pale, dull amber

S - that roasty pale ale smell that I love. nothing more needs to be said

T - despite all this, it's a somewhat thin, bland tasting beer. the character of a good ale is there, but nothing really makes it pop with any life or distinction between any other random beer. good maltiness though. still, the head seems to have 5 times of a taste profile than the actual beer itself

M - thick head stays on top of a thin and watery body. meh

D - by no means is this unfinishable, but the late blooming malt finish is really the only thing that would keep me coming back. now if you'll excuse me, I have to get beer out of my keyboard

3.16/5  rDev -0.9%

A - upon cracking the can foam started bubbling out. I thought the can had been shaken up or something from the pressure. that's a hell of a widget in there. this beer pours an extremely tall head, practically filling the glass, then dissipates to a more reasonable finger or so. the head and lacing are both pretty creamy/foamy, the beer a nice shade of amber.

S - not too much to the nose. some malt and honey/sweetness.

T/M - creamy and clean on the front. tastes almost like a more watery, crisp guinness, with a hint of honey on the back end. surprisingly light, seems like it's missing something.

D - I was overall pleased with this beer. I could see how someone could knock a few of these back.

3.15/5  rDev -1.3%

A-amber with a lot of cream colored head, has the cascade effect. the head stays throughout the tasting

S-smells like thick molasses...a strong scent. very sweet smelling

T-hits with almost a lack of taste except for some molasses. it leaves with a very good light smooth taste of molasses.

M-little carbonation, almost none. very smooth and creamy. very expected for an english ale

D-the taste gets better as it goes on. this is the perfect drink to have after a good sitting of stronger beers. but i had to pick any beer to have a lot of...this would be far from the top.

3.71/5  rDev +16.3%

Everytime I hold a tall can in my hand all I can think is "I said get the talls snotrag" (The Stoned Age, 1994). Escaping the normal image of the silver bullet tall'ie Boddington's classes up the joint with it's Draughtflow enhanced 1 pint canister of frothy sweet goodness.

On the side of the Boddington's can are proper drinking and pouring directions (always a sign of a good beer).

I grabbed my "kick ass beer glass," as I call it, and commence proper pourage. The glass filled completely with foam! I doubled checked my pouring procedures in case I made a mistake but I did not. I looked back at my glass and watched in amazement as the foam circled, and slowly condensed into a frothy one inch head at the top of my glass. Below was the sweet light golden nectar I had been looking for. For how how much foam the beer started with I was surprised at the lack of bubbles sprouting from the sides of my mug. They were mostly concentrated at the bottom with it beeing clear on the sides.

I'm a sniffer, I took a good whiff of the beer prior to my first sip. Much like other pale beers it has a sweet smell like apple/pear juice.

My first sip was smooth and creamy due to the thick frothy head. The beer has a creamy, honey, and barley taste making it a good drinkable beer but not a standout.

I enjoyed the after taste more than I enjoyed the actual taste, it was that nice bitter taste that only appears on the back end of your tounge and on your tonsils. It also gave me that dry mouth feeling, that leaves you yearning for another sip.

All in all, I enjoyed the beer quite a bit, I loved the formation of the head, and I enjoyed the aftertaste quite a bit. I would definetly buy this beer again and recommend it to someone who is just dicovering the world of "good ass beers."

1.58/5  rDev -50.5%

1pt can. Pours golden-amber in color with a huge, fast disappearing white head. Aroma of stale bread, yeast with some earthy hops and spoiled fruit in the background. Thin body. Flavor was bitter, earthy hops that produced stale, skunky aftertaste. Terrible beer that went into a sink.

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours from the can forming a thick, creamy, white head. The beer itself is honey/amber in color. Very little smell if any at all, I can detect creamy and a slight floral smells if I really concentrate on it. Taste is fruity, a hint of hops, and a creamy sort of flavor, all in all it is pretty watery in taste. The mouthfeel is creamy and ends dry. This beer is quite easy-drinking, goes down smooth, and is pretty enjoyable. Definitely one I would consider as a pretty decent session beer regardless of the occasion.

2.62/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Hardly any carbonation but a thick, creamy Guinness-like head with small bubbles forms on top. Light amber color, clear.

S: Maple syrup, sugar, hazelnut and light caramel malt aroma. Very sweet nose

T: Very sweet, fruity banana and mango type flavor. Syrup, toffee and caramel are also present, yet overall it's very watery, not much in there at all.

M/D: A bit on the creamy side (thanks to the nitro and the creamy head), however this beer is very thin and lacks flavor.

2.57/5  rDev -19.4%

So look, this beer's big claim to fame is it feels like a fresh draught when you pour the can. THAT IT DOES. I was quite impressed in fact - it's a frothy effervescent brew indeed. And the color is a really nice orangy gold.

Other than that where's the beer? It is so mild and sweet it hardly even registered to reach American Pilsner levels. I'd still choose it over those, because at least it has something interesting going on. But it's probably among the most watery beers I've had. Plus that charming effervescence leaves pretty quickly so if you don't drink up you're left with just colored water.

2.86/5  rDev -10.3%

Bought this pint can as a single at a local food store not knowing the surprise that was inside. Poured into WWI vintage authentic German military beer stein because I figured a pint glass would not be large enough. Turned out that was a wise decision. My goodness, I exclaimed, when I saw the profusion of bubbles and foam. Beneath the abundant froth and lace, the liquid portion was a rich golden color lines of bubbles going up the sides of the mug. A delightful light hoppy and straw-like smell was noted. Taste was nice and smooth, very light with a hoppy crispness at the finish. Mouthfeel was also smooth and very creamy from the nitro. For a light pale ale, this is not bad, but not to my taste. For some folks it might be a fun beer to see the nitro-ness.

3.33/5  rDev +4.4%

Boddingtons never fails. and never really impresses all that much either. A wheaty, corny caramel hue, active carbonation keeps a frothy white foam up top for a bit leaving dabbles of lacing.

aroma is meager. hints of bread, yeasty dough, caramel malt and some hops show through with herbal notes, significantly more than from the can.

Taste, not surprisingly, follows suit. bready, earthy, yeasty. caramel and light toffee sweetness intermingle with an almost surprising bit of herbal hopping. tastes veggie and green, maybe a touch mineraly.

the mouthfeel of boddingtons on tap is always impressive. full, creamy and thick without being syrupy or slick. hits the spot.

Boddingtons in a can is alright. Boddingtons on tap is pretty decent. A solid English pale, if a bit light and occasionally watery in taste. In an english pub with few options, if I'm not in the mood for a guinness, I usually turn to Boddingtons. and I can't say I'm ever disappointed. Goes down smooth and definitely works nicely with food. I wouldn't seek it out, but sometimes, it hits the spot perfectly.

1.88/5  rDev -41.1%

Appears an orange like golden color with a thick full bodied white head.

It smells metallic, of oats, sugary, and mildly of toffee. Does not smell bad but I don't like the metallic smell.

It really does not taste like much. There is a metallic taste, a sweet mild biscuit tasting malt flavor and that is it. It is unforgettable and bland. It's the kind of beer that could put you to sleep in the middle of a sip.

There is a slight creamy texture and a low carbonation.

It drinks like water as there is not very much flavor to the beer. I however don't want to drink another one of these because it is so boring.

3.09/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: Honey-golden. Looks like a light version of Guinness given the amazing falling carbonation. Foam goes away a bit quicker than with Guinness, otherwise I'd give this a 5.

Smell: Sweet honey malt. Nothing more, nothing less.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Basically tastes like honey on a fresh biscuit. Absolutely no hops. It tastes good, but there's no complexity. Feels a lot like water once you get past the early carbonation. Also feels a lot like Guinness only with less oil and more water.

Drinkability: Good drinkability, but that doesn't make a huge deal when you consider the water factor.

Overall: Beautiful appearance, not much else. I would drink this on tap though.

3.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from nitro can into my favorite beer drinking glass -

Poured a nice light gold with two finger head with lingering lace -

Smell was of light malt not much else -

Taste was light malts little hops - nothing fancy - mild nuttiness

Very drinkable beer - Not much to it as far as beers go - easily enjoyed and easy to drink .

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons