Boddingtons Pub Ale | Boddingtons

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 10-20-2001

Ratings: 2,827 |  Reviews: 1,135
3.67/5  rDev +15%

The pint poured from a nitro tap was a cloudy blond creme until the bubbles settled to the top, overall a great presentation like all other nitro taps. Smell of faint hop wisps leapt out of the pure foam head and greeted my nose. The beer has a crispness that isn't present in other pale ales. the bitterness of the beer keeps to the back of the tongue. I suppose the best advice I could give to a person is to have it on tap, where it performs as a great beer to enjoy during the warmer months. I have not had the occasion to try the canned version but judging from the reviews, I am in no rush to try.

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

The beer came out of the nitro can into a pint glass right out of the refrigerator.

The color was pale yellow with a nitro induced head that stuck around nicely.

The smell and taste were the same, virtually nothing there. The carbonation was weak and the flavor simply did not exist. This beer ranks right up there with the typical macro style beers available unfortunately with an import premium price.

I wish there was more to say about it but this beer just did not do it for me.

2.78/5  rDev -12.9%

Not really a big fan of Boddingtons unless the selection at the bar I'm at is poor, in which case I'll get it. It's a decent beer that you sort of need to be in the mood for.

I popped 3 of these open and each one fizzed out and spilled everywhere. It's lite, and to me sort of bland. Looks great in a glass but not really fizzy. Nice head on the beer.

I guess my whole problem with Boddingtons is that it's not Guinness. Bars usually carry both and not one or the other. If I'm looking for that smooth, go to drink, I go for Guinness regardless of how warm the temperature is outside that day.

It's possibly better off of tap and I will review it again when I get a chance to.

3.63/5  rDev +13.8%

On nitro at the Brazen Head, Brooklyn, New York.

Poured a light copper hue with a one finger creamy head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light malt and a grassy hop.

The taste consisted of a grainy malt and a grassy hop. Very pilsner like.

The mouthfeel was full due to the nitro.

Overall a tasty ale. Not great but easily drinkable.

3.74/5  rDev +17.2%

I poured into a pint glass to a large frothy head. It pours like Guinness but is a light amber color. I think it looks a lot better than Guinness. I think it is the best looking beer out there. It got my first 5. The smell and taste are nothing spectacular. It's just a good solid beer. It is one of my favorite U.K. beers along with Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

3.31/5  rDev +3.8%

pours a deep straw color with a brilliant frothy head that left
very nice lacing on the glass. Usual Nitro pour.

The scent is nice, with some roasted nuts and i think i get a little bit of citrus at the end.

Flavor is completely average. Tastes of the roasted nuts i got in the aroma but the citrus is not there. Bland.

Creamy mouthfeel, low carbonation. Not bad at all, but also not great. I guess it's drinkable in that it's not off putting at all, but I wouldn't have another just because I'd rather seek out a more flavorful option.

3.39/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Pours a hazed golden straw yellow. Even with a very careful and slow pour a nice massive white head appeared. Pillowing like a marshmallow. It quickly faded and left just some sporadic dotted lacing around the glass.

S: Subtle aromas with muted hints of light fruits like pear. Maybe a slight dash of spice.

T: Despite the subtle nose I was relived that there were some flavors that peaked their way through. Clean tasting with hints of vanilla cream and a pinch of honey. A decent beer but still a little bland. Since I can't rate the taste as a 3.25 I will round up to a 3.5.

M: Fairly silky and smooth.

D: While the taste was nothing overwhelming it was still a nice beer that could be worth drinking all day. Hopefully I can get across the pond one day to try it there. I used about 6oz of my pint for a cod batter and it turned out remarkable.

3.34/5  rDev +4.7%

Boddingtons Pub Ale.

A- Starts as a massive foamy cup of liquid, then turns into a very impressive carmel colored beer with excellent one inch head that hangs around for the whole pint. Creamy look that is very appealing. Heavy lacing on the glass... great retention.

S- Mild but there. Quick smells of carmel and milky malts upfront. Small barley and hints of sweet brown sugar and coffee.

T- Starts with a very mild milk like flavor of malts, barley and small traces of coffee.

M-D- Mouthfeel is smooth as water on the tongue. Rich milk-like feel is then off set with an easy light cabonation to finish. Pub like beer with heavy drinking qualities. Definitly a dinner beer light and great tasting.

3.46/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pouring into a pint glass out of the can is a beautiful thing to see and you can watch the nitro head just settle out on top. Very deep gold/straw in color. With more bubbles clinging to the side of my glass.

S: Dried fruit, strong malt, and some metallic

T: The area where this beer is lacking. Ive had on tap and believe it is much better. The flavors start off fine, pretty much one taste straight through, with a small hop tingle. The finish is just very metallic, and raw almost.

M: Smooth creamy and goes down easy. Pretty similar to most nitro beers.

D: While the flavor of this beer is not that great, I could for some reason drink it all day. Its not horrible and I do prefer it to BMCs the only big problem with drinking this all day is the price tag. 4 cans for $8.99

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first instinct was to think how this beer has lost some body since I last tasted it a few years ago, but this is a distant memory. Pours a frothy nitro-injected medium copper with that head so acquainted to the internal device within the can. Very malty to the nose; clear malts in excess with a desensitized light repressed hoppy aroma. Very light on the palette and extraordinarily silky and velvety on the tongue, this brew is quite drinkable. Slightly sweet malty artifacts coat the lips; all while it is impossible not to notice the ultra-light, lithe body of this brew. As I stated earlier, much lighter than I once remember.
There is some of that ferric metal-isism detectable to the taste, but not enough to render it objectionable.
Nevertheless, the "bee" is a British classic; unique and enjoyable.

3.33/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours a nice slightly-clouded pale straw color that produces an AWESOME guinness-style head that looks very thick and creamy. So far so good.

S: Eh, a little plain. Lactose is pretty aggressive, giving it that creamy sweet note. I cant find the malts or the hops...which is weird because I do not know if this brew is entirely lactose

T: Lactose is dominant. Very sweet flavor profile, slightly malty backbone

MF/D: The mouthfeel is awesome...chewy, thick, oily. Nice finish as well. Not exactly my cup, but I can see why people would like this one

3.43/5  rDev +7.5%

A-Pours golden white (Caused by the Nitro) after all the bubbles have finished doing their thing the ale is a golden amber, with a nice white creamy head

S-Smells a little sweet, but not really a whole lot going in there, I kinda get a little bit of hops but a very faint smell

T-I get a little of honey, a little bitter after taste but not overly bitter

M-Smooth, clean, its not very carbonated pretty light for a ale

D-Pretty drinkable, I could probably drink of 2 or 3 of these due to the lack of carbonation, but I think the flavor of this beer would get boring to me after a while

4.23/5  rDev +32.6%

Tried this beer in a restaurant that had it on tap. It has a nice appearance, creamy white head and amber body. Aroma-wise it is is quite subtle, perhaps floral, as someone has commented before.

It has a bitter taste to it but not overly so such as with Guinness. (I do like my Guinness as well) I didn't really experience the metallic aftertaste but then again, I had it on tap rather than from the can. Very smooth and creamy going down.

For myself, this is a good session beer at 4.7% and very thirst quenching on a hot summer's day.

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours red with a good head that retains well.

This, like many other beers in the nitro cans, has very low carbonation which serves to increase drinkability and enchance the flavors (so I think).

It's very smooth and creamy with a heavy mouthfeel. The body is of full, creamy malt. This gives way to a fairly bitter finish, which actually seems to intensify more and more after the swallow.

Before I started drinking these types of beer, I absolutely despised this. Now, I really appreciate it. It goes down easy, has a good balance between thick malt and lingering bitterness, and is a mainstay for me.

3.11/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance - Poured from nitro-can into Guinness pint glass. A nice golden color, almost amber. Love the creamy nitrous head. Like a lighter version of Guinness.

Smell - Not much there. A slight sweet and malty scent, but very faint.

Taste - Smooth and very mild. No bitterness at all. Others have mentioned a honey taste (and there is a bee on the label), but I just didn't taste it. It was more of a slightly sweet ale flavor, but no honey that I could taste. Maybe a hint of vanilla. Tastes better as it warms a little.

Mouth Feel - Creamy like a Guinness, due to the nitrous widget in the can. The ale itself is rather thin and not very carbonated, but get a sip of that creamy nitrous head with every gulp.

Drinkability - I could have a couple of these easily, but probably wouldn't do a session with this one.

2.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass, had to do a long slow pour to get all of the head down, the nitro gives it a similar head retention to Guinness Nitro Cans. Once you get past the epic head, there is an exceptionally thick lacing that sticks to the glass, and a very clear golden color.

S - Clean and malty aroma, nothing overwhelming. Very typical english ale smell.

T - Malty and rich, very sweet as it hits the tongue. There is a bitter bite as it goes down, but it doesn't have particularly distinct flavors.

M - Exceptionally creamy, it's almost like drinking liquid silk or butter. Thank the nitro for that one. The thickness of this beer makes me drink it exceptionally slowly, and lasts a long time. Fortunately the long drinking time and warming up doesn't effect the flavor badly.

3.67/5  rDev +15%

This is sort of a study in contrasts. The appearance is really great. Poured from a nitro can (pour quickly...) the head is great, and stays with it the entire class. The color is a really pretty amber with a pure white head. A very pretty beer. The aroma is almost non-existent. If anything, it has a rather floral smell to it. The flavor starts out very bitter from the head, then malt and hops from the beer itself. And then comes my problem with this beer. It has a metallic aftertaste that I'm not really fond of. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. Mostly I get the metallic flavor if I sip the beer. If I take a larger drink, I don't seem to get it. Go figure. Nice creamy mouthfeel, and very sessionable. All in all it's a good brew. Don't overchill it, as it will be more metallic. It's worth a try, and you may find you really like it. I like it, but there are other styles I like better. Once in a while, I really want one of these though.

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from Nitro-Tap at The Mayflower in San Rafael.

A. After the pour begins to clear, it is a clear amber/yellow color with a 1-2 finger head with good lacing.

S. Not picking too much up on this smell, nothing distinctive. A little malty sweetness coming through.

T. Balance comes to mind, has a medium toasted malt backbone with a medium-low hop profile. Not very bitter.

M. Super creamy/silky mouthfeel, comes from the nitro-tap. Quite enjoyed the mouthfeel.

D. Very drinkable session beer - Not something I crave, probably wouldn't by a nitro-can. But could definately see buying at the pub again.

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a nitro can into a weizen glass. Has a beautiful amber color with a 1 inch head. Pleasent, mild malty aroma. Good, smooth flavor with a slight aftertaste. Feels a little creamy in the mouth. A little dry but overall drinkable. This is a quality beer worth checking out.

3.86/5  rDev +21%

Poured my nitro-can into my pint glass. Looks like the pour is the star of the show. Lots of creamy bubbles forming a fluffy white head atop golden liquid. Very nice to watch.

This is a very creamy ale. Some bisquity malt with a touch of bitter hops. Too bad there is a metallic aftertaste or I would love this more.

This goes down pretty doggone easy. I can see talking my macro loving buddies into trying this and liking it. This is pretty creamy, mild and inoffensive. Good for a warm summer day.

2.91/5  rDev -8.8%

This one's on tap at The Claddagh in Franklin Park. Notes are from 6/02/09.

The color is a nice clear, bright amber. I don't get the nice head and lacing I got from the nitro can. An uncomplicated blend of mild bitter hops and light malt are on the nose. The taste is light herbal citrus hops with a light bitterness and grains. Malt is somewhat shy but does make an appearance. There's a slight metallic / astringent tint to this as well. These end up marring an otherwise pleasant finish. Mouthfeel is a little thin and light-bodied, and this one loses the extreme smoothness and creaminess the nitro can gave it. This is one to try, but It's nothing spectacular.

3.19/5  rDev 0%

This beer looks pretty neat as all of the micro bubbles cascade down the inside of the glass. It acts much like a nitro can of Guinness but the show doesn't last as long. When it's over I'm left with a clear copper-colored beer with a dense creamy head. Almost looks like off-white Cool Whip sitting atop the beer. Not much to boast about in the smell category. The most abundant smell I detect is metal. Followed by light sweet malt and an extremely faint bit of hops. While the metal taste is present in the flavor, the carmel malt is more evident and there's a very slight bitter hop note. And I don't necessarily hate the metal characteristic. It tastes like clean metal at least... Like a dental pick during a cleaning. I like the creamy texture. Light, low carbonation, and creamy body make the mouthfeel by far the best characteristic of this beer. Low alcohol, nice body, and mild taste make this beer pretty easy to drink.

3.82/5  rDev +19.7%

Nitro can poured into a Guinness Imperial Pint. Temperature and pouring directions on the can.

A - Amazing 3 color cascading head that left an insanely dense white head that's so flawless it looks like a marshmallow. Orange clear amber color. Very incredible. Amazing retention with some lacing too.

S - Good malty sweet backbone balanced well with a nice floral hop aroma.

T - Very nice malty backbone with a creamy butter-like flavor that finishes very balanced with a hop flavor including some citrus and floral notes. Not very defined at all but good none-the-less.

M - Smooth and creamy as hell. Wow, that's fantastic going down. Light to medium in body.

D - Wow. I could go through a 4 pack of these so quickly. So drinkable with a fantastic mouthfeel and good taste. Damn.

3.48/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours the typical nitro-pour with a perfect white head and solid gold body.

Smells sweet, kind of creamy, grainy, and I can pick up some honey also.

Tastes pretty light, sweet with a slight hop taste in the aftertaste, possibly some honey in there, hence the bees?

Nice nitro creamy mouthfeel, a bit too thin though, but very smooth and drinkable.

3.03/5  rDev -5%

Poured nitro-can into pint glass. Creamy, decently persistent head, amber color after it settles down. Not a very distinctive smell, but had a more going on in the taste category. I like the fact that it is light on the carbonation. A very easy beer to drink.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons