Boddingtons Pub Ale | Boddingtons

Added by Todd on 10-20-2001

Ratings: 2,819 |  Reviews: 1,131
4.76/5  rDev +49.2%

4.7/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From draft at Nick's Pub in St. Louis

This is my favorite ale. I always get this when it is available on draft. From a can it is remarkably similar to draft.

It arrives at the table still rolling with carbonation. It typically settles with a finger or so if thick, rich cream colored head. Medium to dark amber color. Very pleasant aroma.

The taste is very smooth and mellow. Very well balanced. Slight hop flavor, but not strong or intense. This is an excellent beer to start the night with, or for session drinking.

4.68/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer. Not sure why it's reviews are so low.

4.68/5  rDev +46.7%

Wow, I cannot believe this beer rated as poorly as it did! I truly find this a very unique brew.

Its the 'other' Guinness draught being lighter in color, and yet not any less interesting. Its flavor is very mellow, yet rich, and its overall creamy texture make the beer allot of fun to drink.

Its bubbles cascade just as Guinness draught's does...

I purchase this beer after the holidays in January, and consume it through early spring. I will report back later with a more detailed, definitive review of this beer.

4.65/5  rDev +45.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +45.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer, is a really creamy beer. The appearance is perfect, I ve never see a beer from can appear like just poured from a pub tap. Taste is a bit weak for the tipe of beer, but terrific if consedered that is in can. Really good, I will fdefinetly buy again!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love this beer. The cascading effects is amazing. Great session beer. I bet its even better on tap. It's taste is smooth and pure, with a nice amber color with a bueatiful head.

4.6/5  rDev +44.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is my wife’s review--- From pour to finish, this is a great beer.

Appearance: The cascading brew was a delight to watch from the lip of the can, to the bottom of the glass, and back up again… It was like a show. Great head, retention, and lacing… Lasted to the end of the glass. Nice golden honey color.

Smell: Sweet, honey like aroma, but not overpowering, just right.

Taste: Phenomenal, loved it. Smooth flavor, a little strong at the finish, but not bad.

Mouth feel: Creeeaaaammmyyyy and ssmmmmoootttthhhh. Low on carbonation makes for better (or more) intake without feeling bloated. The nitro cans have it going on.

Drinkability: I would consider this a session beer. As a true Irish Lass, is pains me too say that have to drink, and like, an English Pub Ale. However, my Grand-pappy will have to roll over, because this is to damn creamy and smooth.

Follow the suggestions, drink cool, not cold.

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

Smooth style and very light. Easy on the taste and easy to drink. Cool and refreshing for a quick "light and easy" party beer or summer refresher on the pond!

4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

A champion beer in every sense of the word. I am surprised at the low ratings for this. It has a wonderful appearance (and I am not a big amber guy) and a perfect head. The taste is toasty and comforting. Probably the best of the more "popular" beers.

4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

My favorite ale. Served from a can, this beer poured an extremely thick, creamy head that dissipated quickly. The color was a lightish yellow. Smelled rich and creamy. This was the first time I had experienced such a sweet dairy-like smell. Could have sworn there was milk in it. Tasted incredibly sweet and creamy, but felt a little harsh in the mouth for some reason, however this harshness was countered by the incredible taste. Easy to drink since the flavor was so incredible!

4.55/5  rDev +42.6%

This is without a doubt, my wintertime beer. Love the fact that it pours like a Guinness, but it is an ale. The lack of traditional carbonation allows you to drink more and not get that one gets from traditional beers. I wouldn't drink this in a warm climate, but once the temperature dips below 60˚, this is the beer I turn to.

4.53/5  rDev +42%

Boddingtons Pub Ale is the first pub ale I have ever tried and fell in love with it right away, it is a remarkable beer that doesn't disappoint.

A- It is very inviting with the can being the color yellow, very welcoming and settle to the eye, and when you pour it into your glass it is like a ballad of bubbles that rushes from the bottom of the glass that swims trough the cloudy of golden beauty.

S- The smell is good not over powering with a very delightful smell of a pale ale.

T- The taste is amazing it rushes in your mouth with a smooth but full flavor, I am head over heels in love with this beer, makes me want to be more open to trying different pale ales, who wants to take a trip to England?

MF- Is to good for words it sets on your taste buds and refreshes your thirst for a good beer, I can't wait to have another, to fill my mouth with it's pure flavors of a true import from across the pond.

D- It is very drinkable, although it does fill you up quicker then your average beer, but I can definitely say I could drink this beer trough out the evening, so the next time your in the mood for a real eye opener ask your bartender for a Boddingtons Pub Ale, and never look back!

4.52/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.51/5  rDev +41.4%

I seem to keep coming back to this one. Definitely better draft than in the can. Smooth taste and very creamy head. Easy to knock lots of these back at the pub.

4.51/5  rDev +41.4%

Poured from can into glass stein.

Darker brown ale color. Beautiful show it put on.
Spectacular head. Creamy 2 inches. Stuck around for as long as it took me to drink it.

Smell was okay but cleaner smelling than others. Earthy.

Taste was the best part. First drink was like drinkin the tears of a lifelong enemy. It was amazing. Smooth and creamy, had a slight bite, Perfect in my ale book so far.

Same with mouthfell. Exceptional.

Drinkablilty. You know. Easy to drink by far. Almost dangerously easy to drink.

I will buy this many times im sure of it.
Great buy $6.29 for a four.

Must try.