Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Boddingtons Pub Ale | Boddingtons

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 10-20-2001

Ratings: 2,855 |  Reviews: 1,141
1.24/5  rDev -61.1%

My friend brought a 4 pack over to a very drunken game of pool, and really talked this stuff up.The can looked so inviting with its bright yellow color, and the name made me think it was going to taste something like that beer stuff in Harry Potter. It poured with a beautiful bubbly head and from across the room looked very appetizing. As I went over to claim my pint, I thought someone might have shit themselves, when suddenly I realized THE BEER SMELLED LIKE F**KING PUKE!!!! poured it down the drain and then poured wet cement down the drain to make sure it wouldn't come back up. Not sure if maybe they were just ancient stock from Publix or what, but oh god it was terrible...

1.24/5  rDev -61.1%

I tried this beer from a nitro-can poured into a mug It had a good head about a 1/2 inch thick. Looked great but was all smoke and mirrors. Its like someone got a can and scooped some lake water into a can. This was an awful beer and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

1.25/5  rDev -60.8%

1.25/5  rDev -60.8%

1.27/5  rDev -60.2%

Don't know what I could add to the other "F" reviews other than to say they are all true.

Poured nicely, foamy head. First red flag was the total lack of carbonation rising from the bottom of my glass.

Second red flag was the first sip. A truly awful experience ... totally flat, foul tasting swill that could only be described as a cross between low-grade malt liquor that was left open all night, and paint remover.

Set my personal record for a drain-pour: 3 sips, then down the drain it went.

I'm now totally convinced that any kind of "nitro-can" beer is a total joke.

1.36/5  rDev -57.4%

Poured from a 1 pint can into A Shaker pint glass, "best by" date December 2017.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear amber color, the nitro effect was not very pronounced, it did not give the cascading effect I would expect, possibly defective, there was a one-finger white head with excellent retention, significant lacing on the glass, very poor nitro.

SMELL: there is a roasted and metallic note and some bread, very faint to the nose.

TASTE: I don't like it, just a burnt, metallic taste and it's flat as a pancake.

PALATE: medium body and flat.

OVERALL: this is one of the lowest ratings I have ever given to a beer, please avoid this beer at all costs, there are no redeeming qualities what so ever, I hate this beer, clearly the British empire is in decline.

1.36/5  rDev -57.4%

A - Good average looking beer

Smell - Nothing special. Very light smell.

T - Just like water

M - Yh, they talk about how smooth it is and i won't disagagree. It is really smooth. Like a glass of plain water

D - Who the hell will drink this again. It is a glass of water with alcohol and yellow colour.

Note: I really hate this beer and I wouldn't advise anyone to drink it.

1.38/5  rDev -56.7%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Medium thick foamy head on a medium amber body. Smelled of cheap, flat wine, with the taste being about the same. Just not pleasant in any fashion. This was my first "nitro" can, and if this is what I can expect from them all, I'll pass.

1.41/5  rDev -55.8%

All this gets in my book is points for appearance. You should probably open this over a sink. Good clear honey brown with a permanent dense foamy head.
From there it becomes an extremely one dimensional beer. Not much aroma. Pale malts and a little honey sweetness. The taste is virtually nonexistent and leaves a metallic aftertaste. Other than the thick creamy head this feels flat and watery. Wouldn't get again

1.43/5  rDev -55.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Sometimes it's worth cause it costs 1.79 for a 16oz. But still...

1.45/5  rDev -54.5%

Never heard of this so I picked one up off the shelf at a local shop. A quick look at my reviews will show the reader that I'm typically a pretty generous scorer on this site. This beer gets my first "F." Simply disgusting, I took at small sip of this and the rest went down the drain. The can in which this beer was shipped looks a bit like motor oil, the taste lived up to the billing, or at least a highly watered-down version of the same. It's astonishing to me that this beer was shipped 6 thousand miles when I would have had a much more satisfying experience drinking the local tap water.

1.47/5  rDev -53.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

By far a disgusting beer... Enjoy

1.49/5  rDev -53.3%

Can tried to explode all over when I first opened it. The appearance was nice with a really creamy head. However the taste was almost nonexistent. I don't know if it was just my can or what but it was like drinking carbonated water. The flavor was just not there. The one thing I really did enjoy about this was the creamy head. I don't know that I have experienced anything quite the same. The fact that the head stuck around the whole time was nice too.

Overall I honestly think I would rather drink a PBR or High Life and for me that's saying something. Just not something enjoyable in this can. I would be willing to give it a try on tap though.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow... Pretty awful beer from across the pond

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons