Einbecker Schwarzbier | Einbecker Brauhaus AG

einbecker-brauhaus.de

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by Bierman9 on 03-31-2002

4.85/5  rDev +29.7%

I'm throwing up a review here, as this is a long time (#1) favorite that gets little of the attention it deserves.

I got turned onto this when I was first trying German brews, starting with Einbecker's Bock, Ur-Bock, and Mai-Ur Bock. It became apparent that I liked these dark smooth drinks, and the Shwarzbier was the obvious next step.

Describing this in comparison to a Bock, I feel it is more black than brown in color and smoother drinking than most. As a Shwarzbier, it has the crispest taste I have yet to find in the style, and it is very refreshing to have with a meal, in the movie theatre, or on the porch on a summer day.

I am often too eager to drink this to pour it into a glass, but it pours smooth with little head when cold, and looks attractive in any glass I've chosen. Out of the bottle it is tasty and smooth, and I noticed that it doesn't take on an entirely new flavor when it warms up, it simply loses a little crispness.

This is a great beer in a classy package and is usually the first I recommend to someone looking to get into German brew styles. That said, I recently suggested it to a friend who was very familiar with Shwarzbiers and Bocks, and even works in "Beers of the World" (ROC, NY). He had never tried it before, but now he has righted his ways and is a big fan.

cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Einbecker Schwarzbier has a very thick, creamy, beige head, with some lacing and a clear, brown appearance, with tiny streams of bubbles. The aroma is of sweet, medium-toasted barley, brown bread, a little chocolate and coffee, and whiff of hops. Taste is similar, with a subtle added dark cherry aspect. The mouthfeel is light and watery, and Einbecker Scwarzbier finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, mostly dry, and highly drinkable. Simply an outstanding beer.

RJT

4.62/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +22.7%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label is marked with notches for dates, but not sure how to read it. I got this in a sampler pack, and based on the dates of other bottles, am sure it is pretty fresh.

Appearance: Pours with about 1/2 inch of creamy, off-white head. Settles pretty quckly into a skim coating of foam. Bubbles coming up keep the head present. The beer itslef is beautiful reddish brown color and perfectly clear.

Smell: Wnoderful grain aroma, and I don't mean malty, I mean grain. It smells like sticking your head in a bag of fresh cracked grains.

Taste: Wow, this is good. The grain smell carries over into the flavor and once again it is like fresh grains. Sweet, but not too sweet and cloying. Very little bitterness, nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel: Good body, average level of carbonation.

Drinkability: I have been on a darker lager kick lately and this one gives me reasont o keep checking them out. Great flavor, reasonable ABV, a good candidate for a few more.

4.57/5  rDev +22.2%

Einbecker's Schwarzbier and Mai-Ur-Bock are two of my favorite go-to German beers.

A – Lighter in color than many Schwarzbiers, more of a translucent mahogany than a Schwarz. Very little foam.

S – Very clean German malt, with a smell of brown rice syrup, perhaps.

T – Once it hits my taste buds I can’t stop drinking it. I gulp 2 oz at a time, it’s so delicious. The best tasting of the Schwarzbiers I’ve had.

M – Thin and lightly carbonated, but it complements the taste. This beer must be served cold.

D – The ultimate in chug-ability.

4.42/5  rDev +18.2%

I know some folks have dismissed this beer & schwarzbiers in general, but I love'm! Einbecker is no exception. I picked up a six-pack with a couple porters & had a fine and tasty night (the pork chop dinner certainly helped!). The 11.2 oz bottle poured an amber-honey color at first with a nice beige head and lotsa lacy-ness. A smoky honey and malt aroma and taste with a mild, silky feel to it. Give me more!

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I love this type of brew. Very dark, almost black. Has a roasted malty smell with some caramel and fresh sawn oak. Not very carbonated at all so that makes it fairly easy to drink. The only reason I gave it a 4.0 instead of a 4.5 on drinkability is it is a bit heavy and I can certainly see how one good get full quickly drinking this Einbecker.
Overall, I'd have to say that the appearance, smell, and taste were exactly what I was expecting the moment I saw this brew on the shelf! Quite impressed indeed, and will most certainly buy again.

4.37/5  rDev +16.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pilsener glass. Had a brown color and a mostly clear consistency. There was a half inch of fairly long-lasting, foamy head. Good lacing.

S: A nice aroma of malt and some sort of sugary sweets. Surprisingly not skunky, given its green bottle.

T: Tasted of malt, caramel, and even a mild chocolate. A typically focused and clean-lined German beer.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a super dry and smooth finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

D: Drinkable. One of the better Schwarzbiers I've tried.

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

Presentation: 11.2oz custom green bottle. Best before on the back label.

Appearance: Deep, woody brown in colour. Pours a massive creamy/foamy tan head with loads of stick and retention.

Smell: Malty, milky and caramel nose.

Taste: Light-bodied, crisp and refreshing. Hops hit the palate from the start with a sharp bite that segues into a complementary earthy roasted malt astringency. Faint raisin/grape. Metallic flavours fill the mouth, in tune with the overall sharpness of the beer and a tight, fizzy carbonation feel. Touch of chocolatey sweetness in the background, becoming more pronounced, rich and caramel-like as the beer warms -- "malty". Toasted flavours form and helps to finish things off, along with a dry-ish bready flavour.

Notes: An outstanding Schwarzbier/Dunkel. Balanced, tasty and an absolute treat for the taste buds. I highly recommend seeking this beer out.

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: Dark brown with a cream colored head, nice retention

Smell: Malty, I can't smell that well so I can't give specifics

Taste: Light bodied, a nice roasted malt flavoring, nice finish

Mouthfeel: Light, nice crisp carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable

4.32/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 12 oz. Pilsner glass.
Appearance: Dark brown color with a reddish hue; looks like a Dr. Pepper. Absolutly no head at all, even with an aggressive pour.

Smell: Toffee, caramel, dark chocolate and a slight sour note.

Taste: Initially, roasted Munich malts and semi-sweet caramel with a coffee-like bitter flavor mid-way. Aftertaste yields a roasted almond flavor with a mild herbal hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with more carbonation detected than what was visible.

Overall: I'm a little confused because this beer has the qualities of a Munich Dunkel and also characteristics of a Doppelbock, but nothing like other Schwarzbiers-style beers I've had before. So, I stopped trying to analyze what style of beer it was and just enjoyed it. It's one of those beers you can sip slowly and savor, or throw back several in one sitting.
Whatever style it is, it's another awesome brew from Einbecker.

4.32/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Einbecker Schwarzbier from Einbecker Brauhaus AG