Muskoka Mad Tom IPA | Muskoka Brewery

Muskoka Brewery
Ontario, Canada
muskokabrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Inspired by late night stories around the fire, Muskoka Mad Tom will instantly grab your attention. Dry-hopped with Chinook and Centennial hops, this IPA has a vibrant aroma, depth of flavour, and crisp citrusy undertow like no other. So brace yourself, and crack one open for old Mad Tom. This is an awakening in craft beer that gets more enticing with every sip.

Added by heebes on 05-26-2011

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:

1.25/5  rDev -67.8%

1.5/5  rDev -61.3%

1.75/5  rDev -54.9%

1.81/5  rDev -53.4%

I was expecting a lot from this beer. It was a local brand, microbreewed and using the finest ingredients.

While I'm sure no corners were cut on ingredients and the brew process, this just wasn't the beer for me. Maybe all the years drinking Alexander Keith's "IPA" has wrecked my taste for a true IPA.

I took 3 sips from the can, gave 1 to my wife, and had to stop. Poured myself some Erdinger Weissbrau instead.

The smell was awefull. Very potent almost sour smell.

The taste was about the same. VERY bitter, almost sour taste. The aftertaste was horrendous.

It had a good amount of carbonation though.

Needless to say I will not be buying this beer again.

Proceed with caution when trying this beer.

MB

2.21/5  rDev -43%

The bitterness of this beer is high, its 62 IBU rating make it really bitter. I don't like the bitter beer, but I'm always willing to try them.

The look of this beer is a nice brownish yellow, I give 13 on the SRM scale. The foam was present at the beginning, but disappear fast. The color is really great.

The smell is not inviting, I don't like the smell at all. It smell a bit like, the beer is pass its best before date.

The taste is a bit better than the smell. The taste and the bitterness remind me the peel of the grapefruit. Not really attracting, to me at least..... Once in my glass for 5 minutes the room temperature make it more bitter. One good thing is that the taste don't stay long in your mouth like other IPA with a high IBU.

Its like other IPA I had in the past, hard for me to get more than one at a time.

The 341 ml bottle retailed for 2.95$ (CAD), for an ABV of 6.4%

I like to try all the beer I can purchase, but some are not in my taste chart.

2.25/5  rDev -42%

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.55/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Aromas of tropical fruits and caramel. Flavors of pine, floral, and herbal spices. Caramel biscuit feel with a grassy notes. Nice balance with a good dose of sugar while having a strong sharpness but not overly spicy. Ultimately the hop just dominates and makes it hard to get through more than 1

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%

2.97/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A-Golden yellow with a hint of orange, white thin head
S-Subtle pine and dank aroma, with a fruity herbal undertone
M-Mouthfeel is watery and lacklustre with carbonation not aiding the situation being a little peppery and sharp upfront and then not playing well with the bitterness
T-Only slightly sweet upfront and then a big hit of heavy bitterness that seems uncomplicated and under valued
O-This beer is not well balanced, there isn't a pleasant balance between sweet and bitter and the aftertaste is a little harsh

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

500ml draught
6.4% ABV
I tried this beer on June 24, 2011 at "The Beerbistro" in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a hazy golden orange colour with a creamy white head. Aroma was lemony, citrus, pine, and grainy malt. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with medium carbonation. Flavour was citrusy hops with a lemon lolipop taste to it, some grains, and a bitter finish.

Muskoka Mad Tom IPA from Muskoka Brewery