Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Muskoka Mad Tom IPA | Muskoka Brewery

Muskoka Brewery
Ontario, Canada
muskokabrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Inspired by late night stories around the fire, Muskoka Mad Tom will instantly grab your attention. Dry-hopped with Chinook and Centennial hops, this IPA has a vibrant aroma, depth of flavour, and crisp citrusy undertow like no other. So brace yourself, and crack one open for old Mad Tom. This is an awakening in craft beer that gets more enticing with every sip.

Added by heebes on 05-26-2011

1.25/5  rDev -67.7%

1.47/5  rDev -62%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

OMG!! This stuff is really tense. It tastes like it was brewed with dead animals. And the smell is disturbing. But the really sad thing, is that the best Muskoka beer ever is Raspberry Coco Lait and the only way to get that is in a 6-can sampler pack. I was willing to buy that just for the Coco Lait as the other beers were fine until I discovered this vile brew was part of it. Nope. Not worth it.

1.5/5  rDev -61.2%

1.75/5  rDev -54.8%

1.81/5  rDev -53.2%

I was expecting a lot from this beer. It was a local brand, microbreewed and using the finest ingredients.

While I'm sure no corners were cut on ingredients and the brew process, this just wasn't the beer for me. Maybe all the years drinking Alexander Keith's "IPA" has wrecked my taste for a true IPA.

I took 3 sips from the can, gave 1 to my wife, and had to stop. Poured myself some Erdinger Weissbrau instead.

The smell was awefull. Very potent almost sour smell.

The taste was about the same. VERY bitter, almost sour taste. The aftertaste was horrendous.

It had a good amount of carbonation though.

Needless to say I will not be buying this beer again.

Proceed with caution when trying this beer.

MB

2.21/5  rDev -42.9%

The bitterness of this beer is high, its 62 IBU rating make it really bitter. I don't like the bitter beer, but I'm always willing to try them.

The look of this beer is a nice brownish yellow, I give 13 on the SRM scale. The foam was present at the beginning, but disappear fast. The color is really great.

The smell is not inviting, I don't like the smell at all. It smell a bit like, the beer is pass its best before date.

The taste is a bit better than the smell. The taste and the bitterness remind me the peel of the grapefruit. Not really attracting, to me at least..... Once in my glass for 5 minutes the room temperature make it more bitter. One good thing is that the taste don't stay long in your mouth like other IPA with a high IBU.

Its like other IPA I had in the past, hard for me to get more than one at a time.

The 341 ml bottle retailed for 2.95$ (CAD), for an ABV of 6.4%

I like to try all the beer I can purchase, but some are not in my taste chart.

2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.55/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Aromas of tropical fruits and caramel. Flavors of pine, floral, and herbal spices. Caramel biscuit feel with a grassy notes. Nice balance with a good dose of sugar while having a strong sharpness but not overly spicy. Ultimately the hop just dominates and makes it hard to get through more than 1

2.68/5  rDev -30.7%

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This one is on the dark side for IPAs, a dark orange, but transparent. No cloudiness or moving bubble, and one finger of creamy white head.
There's a sharp scent of pine and melon, suggesting some of the most traditional IPA flavors, but executed and blended well.
The beer is not super bitter, but it seems that way due to a lack of any other flavor strong enough to add balance. The bitterness itself is not very interesting, there aren't any subtler flavors to be found therein, not even the admittedly standard ones found in aroma. That bitterness also definitely lingers as an aftertaste, which gets annoying after a while.
The beer has a thin consistency with slightly below-average carbonation.
This beer was just fine, but I really don't know who would love it. It doesn't have enough bitterness or complexity to satisfy serious hop-heads, but as it has nothing but the bitterness it will still be hard to take for those who don't enjoy that taste. As a big IPA drinker myself, I like bitterness, but not beers which are only bitter and do not have a balance of other flavors, and on that count this beer fails.

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm drinking this from a can that hasn't been chilled yet so it's affecting the feel and flavour. But, even at room temperature, this is a pretty good beer. It's bitter but not over powering so it could be a sessionable ale if it wasn't for the the 6.4% ABV. I'd love to taste this on draught because I sense it will be way better. One day......

2.97/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A-Golden yellow with a hint of orange, white thin head
S-Subtle pine and dank aroma, with a fruity herbal undertone
M-Mouthfeel is watery and lacklustre with carbonation not aiding the situation being a little peppery and sharp upfront and then not playing well with the bitterness
T-Only slightly sweet upfront and then a big hit of heavy bitterness that seems uncomplicated and under valued
O-This beer is not well balanced, there isn't a pleasant balance between sweet and bitter and the aftertaste is a little harsh

Muskoka Mad Tom IPA from Muskoka Brewery