Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale | Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

Added by Lothore on 09-12-2007

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 104 | Ratings: 235
3.17/5  rDev +10.1%

I should have known better than to get my hopes up when I saw this sitting on the shelves at Trader Joe's in Cary. Most of their contract brewed stuff is ordinary at best. This pumpkin pours dark golden and all semblence of head dies within seconds. Smell is uninspiring; minute pumpkin and spice and some artificial smelling adjuncts.

Overwhelming carbonation at first, followed by sweet but genuine pumpkin flavor. Not much for body and the aftertaste is dull and flat but I have had worse pumpkins, although not many. Certainly not worth seeking out although I get a feeling you'd only find it at TJ's anyway.

2.23/5  rDev -22.6%

2 singles purchased from Trader Joe's

Bottles reads Kennebunkport Brewing Company, my guess branded this way just for Trader Joe's. The Pugsley Brewing Company in Portland is where this is brewed and bottled. Along with Shipyard and Sea Dog, these are all under the same parent company. I wouldn't be surprised if this beer and Sea Dog's Pumpkin Ale are exactly the same.

It's orange in color (surprise!) with virtually no head. The initial scent is gumball, quite pungently sweet. Notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin follow up. But really it's sickly sweet, tasting more like a soft drink than a beer.

Why did I buy 2?

2.57/5  rDev -10.8%

"natural flavor added"

a: Already disappointed by the color of this one, pale golden with a hint of amber. Fizzy white head recedes to a respectable ring.

smell and taste: Smells like macro lager and pumpkin spice, and tastes the same. On the nose I get dry pale grains and a lightly sweet, fruity spice. Cant' tell if I'm picking up on some squashy aromas, but it's possible. Black licorice and leaves if I try. Dominant spice aroma smells of cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg. The tongue follows suit, with weak pale grains and a fake, almost Red Hot candy type cinnamon. Watery. Pale lager grain aftertaste, lightly hopped all around. Nothing offensive anywhere I guess, but very "safe". Aroma comes close to enjoyable.

m: Carbonation bordering on high, with a light body. Dry.

d: Easy I suppose, but not a very rewarding experience. My least favorite pumpkin of all. The macro lager of pumpkin ales.

single bottle from Trader Joe's Cary, best by June 2008

2.75/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Golden orange, completely clear and fizzy. Pours with a 1 finger head that dies down quickly with no lacing.

S- Smell is very faint but I can pick out the pumpkin flavor, an intense sweetness and a big amount of spices.

T- Tastes like pumpkin bread. Mettalic tinge at the end that didnt bug me at first but as I got to the bottom of the beer really started to make me feel like I was drinking something from a BMC.

M- A bit thin and very carbonated.

D- I dig the taste for something this price and I definitely don't regret drinking it but something this sweet is more of a novelty then something you could drink a few of. For the price at trader joes it definitely was at least on par with what I expected.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last