Kennebunkport IPA | Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

Kennebunkport IPAKennebunkport IPA

Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub
Maine, United States
federaljacks.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by Monkeyknife on 12-01-2007

Liked:
2.79/5
Alströms:

1.17/5  rDev -58.1%

Picked this up at Trader Joe's. Maybe the worst beer I have ever had. Definitely the first drain pour I have ever had.

1.18/5  rDev -57.7%

it really is horrendous. I unfortunately purchased it at Trader Joes without checking it out. it smells and tastes stale.

1.19/5  rDev -57.3%

....a Trader Joe's budget buy

Pours a reddish gold with a creamy tall quivering head; smells of stale beer and wet grains; taste is extremely malty and sickeningly sweet with a metallic aftertaste--not sure where the hops are; not much like an IPA at all

1.22/5  rDev -56.3%

This was probably the most unbalanced and oddest/ grossest tasting beers I've ever had. It tasted nothing like the style. It was almost sweet and spiced like their winter ale. The hops tasted like they were synthetic and seldomely added to the wort.

1.23/5  rDev -55.9%

Chunky homebrew looking light brown and burnt auburn looking beer. No head or lace, prolly because the carbonation is on par with that of a cask ale. Aroma was alcohol, tea and earthy soil.

Taste, solventy alcohol, no hops, dirt grittiness. Medicinal almost, like when you chew up your Vicodin to get a better rush (not that I would know). Mouthfeel of that stuff, sure. But that stuff isn't good.

This is the worst ipa I've ever had. Keeping with the prescription medication references, another BA (corpulent) who has drank this beer w/ me before (it took like 2 years to get rid of a 6 pack of this crap) once told me a story about trying darvocet for the first time. To illustrate how sucky it was he said "Darvocet = the kennebunkport ipa of narcotics." Great line.

For my two cents, I think it really tastes like they brought some butthole soup to the bottling line.

12oz bottle
Served in a nonic pint glass

A - It poured an amber colored body with three fingers of beige head.

S - The aroma is fruity with toasted malt.

T - The taste is just awful. There is absolutely no resemblance to an ipa. A lot of caramel malt with a metallic bitterness.

M - The taste is so bad that I can't even concentrate on the mouthfeel.

D - I never drain pour beer. But this is as close as it gets. I recommend avoiding this beer. Worst IPA ever!

1.26/5  rDev -54.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I bought this upon recommendation of Trader Joe's employees. They ranted and raved about how good this was. Mind you, it's not listed on here under KBC, so I didn't search for it successfully in the store like I usually do most beers.

Anyways... I got it home, tried it, and it SUCKS. I can't taste ANY hops in here. Even at a buck a bottle, I wouldn't buy this again, unless I were using it for beer pong.

1.27/5  rDev -54.5%

Got this beer as a "gift" I would not consider this an IPA at all. There is no hop aroma, no hop flavor. A very poor pale ale at best. Would not recommend especially if you enjoy a good quality IPA. The only thing this beer has in its favor is that it pours a nice color and had a decent head.

1.28/5  rDev -54.1%

I picked this up at Trader Joe's for $5.99 a six. I have never heard of or seen this beer before. This is the worst beer I have ever had. Taste is very very sweet with a strong soap flavor that lingers. This does not have that bitter hop taste of a I.P.A. This was husky soap sweet. Not true to style. I could not finish one 12 oz bottle. I asked the check out girl if she had tried it she said no but I could return it for a refund if didn't like it. I found my receipt in the trash and will get my money back tomorrow. What kills me is I have five beers that I cant drink and it's too late to go out. Should have picked up the stone I.P.A.. Hind sight is 20/20 and this beer is garbage. AVOID!

1.32/5  rDev -52.7%

Poured into a snifter on 6/25/10

Best before Feb 2011

Burnt amber color; clear with a slight haze. Visible carbonation bubbles for a few moments. In short order one finger of head is reduced to a skim & bubbles, though swirling revives a brief layer - such is retention. Minimal, spotty lace.

Where are the hops? This doesn't at all smell like an IPA of any type. No pine, no citrus. The best I can say is it has some kind of "floral" thing going on. The aroma is almost entirely comprised of effervescent, medicinal plum, maybe some other nondescript darker fruits. A touch of yeast way in the back. No caramel, biscuit or any other malt presence I associate with the style.

Ugh, it tastes just as inappropriate as it smells. If I didn't know better, I would assume this is some kind of off-brand attempt at plum-infused tea; the kind you find at Odd Lots. Very medicinal, it has a weird, metallic bitter twine toward the finish. Is this meant to pass for hops? Surely not. Some grassiness shows up, too. As with the nose, no proper maltiness for the style. What gives?

Medium bodied with rather low carbonation. Honestly, I doubt it much matters what level of carbonation Kennebunkport could have used; there's simply no saving this beer. It's gritty throughout but finishes especially so with the feeling of dirt lingering.

Kennebunkport IPA is drinkable in that it hardly tastes like a beer (certainly not an IPA). At best you could call this a bad take on a Scottish Ale; that would be a gift. I suppose it's befitting that the core of their name is "bunk;" this beer is a mockery at best. Again, it isn't an IPA; thus, it is a failure.

1.38/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

When into trader joe's to get a six. it was sandwiched in between a bunch of good beers I knew well, but were about 8/9 dollars a six Went for the bargain at 5.99. It tasted like nothing, except a little hoppy at the end. It reminded me of Bud Red Dog (from back in Highschool) with a hoppy (but not so happy) ending. I wish I went for the 9 dollar six. KBC IPA is the kind of beer one buys once. I will drink it if it was free, but certainly would not buy it again. Life is too short.

1.44/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.44/5  rDev -48.4%

A: Pours a coppery color with a cream colored head and good retention. So far so good.

S: I can't believe they can label this an IPA when it smells like this. I've smelled lagers with more hops than this. Cereal malts, boiled corn and grain.

T: Gross, gross, gross, gross, gross. Possibly the worst beer I've ever had. I didn't think anything could be worse than Kennebunkport's Wheat Beer but this blows that one away. It has a weird lager flavor upfront followed by this really off, acidic metallic flavor that goes through the finish. It's a little bitter, but not in a hoppy way at all. This beer tastes like licking rust. Absolutely awful. Avoid at all costs!

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.53/5  rDev -45.2%

a: Nice head quality to this, disappeared a little quick but a light head still remains throughout. A lighter copper color with a rosé hue to it.

s: This is an ineresting aroma. I am getting fruitiness. Apples and apricot and some light banana. Some light spice to it as well, cinnamon.

t: The bitterness is paired with a caramel malt while squeezuing in fruitness...I do not enjoy much as they are not complimentary of one another. I also get a strong sour taste which leaves me not wanting more.

m: A light mouthfeel quickly clears the mouth which is nice because I am sruggling here.

o: I have enjoied most beers I have tasted from Maine - was very excited to try this beer however I feel as though they were truly trying to put to much into the bottle and the end result is an over-flavored, awkward beer.

1.57/5  rDev -43.7%