Sticky Toffee Pudding

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Notes: Two of the things Britain is renowned for across the globe are traditional ale and puddings. Following the success of Wells Banana Bread Beer comes the latest addition to the exquisitely crafted Wells ales range – Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale.

Wells has been using age-old traditional brewing methods to perfect its ales since 1876 and Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale is made to those same exacting standards. It is brewed with our own accredited Natural Mineral Water and the choicest English ingredients. As a result, it delivers all the satisfying, complex taste you’d expect from a true beer but with a unique, indulgent twist.

Using traditional British desserts as our source of inspiration, we discovered that the natural, rich flavours of Sticky Toffee Pudding could be exquisitely combined with darker malts to create a truly distinctive ale. With toffee and caramel hints and rich fruit aromas, Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale is an intensely satisfying beer.
View: Beers
Reviews: 165 | Ratings: 775 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by kmouseman:
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.14/5  rDev -38.3%

Sticky toffee pudding. My favorite British pudding.

It looks more or less how you'd want a beer with this name to look; deep brown sugar brown with a respectable ivory-colored head with a nice sheen and okay retention. It does seem a bit too clear, if that makes senses; I'd hoped for a bit more viscosity/opacity. It smells full-on with the toffee, but in a weirdly artificial way, like someone dropped a Caramello bar into a Newkie Brown. Lots of Dairy Milk and Nestle butterscotch chips, not a lot of the deep, rich allspice-and-date notes I'd hope for in a real sticky toffee pudding.

Tastes like butterscotch candy, but somehow dry. Like Werther's infused into a dark lager. Like Vanilla Coke. Like Southern Tier's Creme Brulee, stripped of its richness and depth. In other words, it kind of sucks. The aroma makes it sickly; the mouthfeel makes it anemic. It's not a good match. I really don't know what they're going for here. If you want a beer that's meant to be a drinkable STP, don't hold back; let me have that stickiness, that complexity, that heft. Or, failing that, let me have some hops. There are basically none here.

I would say this is a disappointment, but then I didn't really have high hopes.

4.35/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice body with a beautiful caramel color. Not overwhelmingly sweet-with hints of butterscotch. Essence of caramel and hunts of banana with a tiny hop finish. Delicious-would drink more than one.

3.84/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a much, much better ale than the ratings.
Here is my main reason to appreciate Sticky Toffee Pudding: it is audacious and gets away with it because Wells knows what they are doing. Most American extreme interpretations of the styles of other traditions (or beers that seem to be inventions without a tradition to build on)... well, those somehow often lack integrity. But Wells' top three rated brews are all dessert-related (which I point out that the Brits are not known for.) Sticky Toffee is their 5th most rated ale and it is convincing. (I've only eaten sticky pudding once and, frankly, I prefer the ale.) Be that as it all may....
Looks like a very dark ale with lots of lovely lace crowning the top of the glass.
As for Smells, I get a nose full of this dessert... and it does not seem too sweet.
Tastes are slightly less successful. While the hops need to come in to play to prevent this ale from becoming a sugar and malt bomb... hops typically like to steal the show... if the brewer lets them. To Wells' credit, they restrain this hops tendency and Pudding wins.
Feel on a dark 5% understandably seems thin. But the finish is strong because this is a sweet beer for sweet people.
Also, I Had Sticky Pudding with about 7 ounces of Newman's Os (Paul's oreos). So if I ever come down from this sugar high, I will consider revising this review and rating.

4.06/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a ver dark brown with a thin off white head.

The smell is sweet caramel, toffee, vannilla and custard.

The taste is much like the smell, toffee, vannila, the finish is a little weak.

The mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation.

Overall a very good beer, I think if they had gone bigger with the abv and had some more body it would've been even better.

3.63/5  rDev +4.6%

So, riding on the heels of their "Banana Bread Beer", Well's newest dessert-infused flavor of sticky, toffee pudding manifests itself in ale form. So what's not to like with a sticky ale, a toffee ale, or a pudding ale? I can't wait to see how well this English Brown Ale manifests these savory-sweet flavors.

Its frothy appearance is heady with a heavy cream lace. Its fluid retention ebbs and flows with each swirl of the glass as its lace is just as sticky as the name suggests. Its mahogany brown body beneath is clear but dark, casting chestnut ribbons in its most prism manner.

Its decadent sweet is highly laden with toffee, sugar maple, deeply seared caramel and sweet spice cake as a savory and succulent scent pours over the nose. Any hop presence is slight of flowers and informs its sweet bouquet.

And its taste starts out sweet and savory as well- but the sweetness hits a halt as the taste enters the middle palate and ends right there- what insues is only a common toasty, nutty, and dry taste that causes a long bridge across the middle. Finishing with woody-type bitterness and a taste of grape-skin, its nutty and coffee-like finish is short and modestly bitter.

Its medium-full body shifts quickly, leaving behind a short-lived carbonated creamy-sweetness and favoring a drying malt presence full of char, toast and grain-derived astringency. Any warmth is hidden inside its grainy toastiness while a linger of wood and seed persists.

Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale is a tale of two tastes- its early flavor sells its namesake well while the promise of any "stickiness", "toffee", or pudding" never makes its mark on the middle palate, late palate, or on the beer's mouthfeel. Its gotta do better to make the taste more consistent- those threads have got to follow through!

4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

The look and smell of this beer are as advertised: sticky toffee pudding. The taste is similar to the smell, but just a little bit more subtle. It is quite tasty as a dessert brown, but I am not sure that one would drink multiple sticky toffee pudding ales.

3.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Wells & Young's Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale a couple weeks ago for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I passed this beer up a few times just because I assumed it was going to be a pretty sweet beer and very sweet beer's aren't a really my thing, but in the end I thought I should still give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it and I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a crimson mahogany color that took on more of a crimson color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly bubbly tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with a big toffee, light butterscotch and light caramel like aromas being the first to show up and they actually give this beer a candy toffee like aroma. Up next comes comes a little bit of that English Brown Ale base with some toasted malts, sweet malts and English yeast aromas coming through. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that lived up to the name.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that leads right into the English Brown Ale base which is lighter than it was in the aroma and the sweet malts really don't show up too much this time around. Up next comes the toffee which still sticks out the most with those light caramel and butterscotch aspects showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness and it gets a little watery with a nice toffee like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but it wish the taste was much more robust like the aroma was, it kind of got a little watery.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, slightly creamy, medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty average example of an English Brown Ale, the base beer was noticeable, but it didn't come off as a great example of the style, but the toffee did work well with it and it didn't completely take it over. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not too filling, but the taste didn't do a great job at holding my attention and I think one bottle is enough for me, I don't have any urge to drink another. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, to me those were the highlights of this beer and they were both good. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they just weren't as good as I hoped they would be and since they took the lighter approach there wasn't a lot of flavors that made me want to come back for more. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's a little pricey for what you get and I don't think I would recommend it as a good example of the style, but it may be worth a try to see how you feel about it. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, if the taste was more like the aroma I know i would like it more, but as it is it left me wanting more from this beer. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery or of the style, I would say it's right in the middle between a English Brown Ale and a dessert beer and that's a little confusing. I appreciate you guys doing something a little different, but in the end, this beer just wasn't for me, better luck next time guys.

4.5/5  rDev +29.7%

Almost heaven in a bottle. Rich brown. Caramel and toffee blast not to sweet or sugary. A delicious treat on a good desert beer. Fairly smooth in drinking this beer.

L: brilliant mahogany with a light tan cap that drops quickly

S: smells like sticky toffee pudding with a trace of moist dark bread

T: has a rich, viscous toffee pudding flavor with a trace of tea-like bitter on the finish with a touch of astringency that adds dimension and provides some balance

F: full body with medium to medium low carbonation

O: The beer gets points for outrageousness of concept and drinkability.

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

3.06/5  rDev -11.8%

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.35/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I have got to say even though sweet dessert beers tend not to be my preference, i was excited to give this one a try. I am a fan of Well's Banana Bread so hopes were high. Smell is great sugar, toffee, even an aroma that invokes thoughts of pudding or more accurately cakes and baked goods. Nice lacing of white foam as it settles in a snifter. Initial taste is pretty spot on sweet, viscous enough to make you think pudding but not overall, and the flavor hits. Second taste and on it begins to lose my attention the flavors dissipate, the mouth feel begins to be much to thin to carry the big flavor it wants to, Also carbonation is somewhat tricky it seems too much when the beer tastes thin and lacking in the beginning. Overall interesting and hope they tweak the recipe and release it, also since everyone else is barrel aging some nice bourbon barrels might make a great beer.

3.91/5  rDev +12.7%

3.06/5  rDev -11.8%

L- Dark chestnut red, clear, pours with 1Cm fine pale tan head, very slowly reducing. Later to lacing.
S- Prominent toffee scent, over a mild toastiness.
T- ...follows the smell, clearly toffee'ish going into a nutty toastiness.
M- The somewhat richer than usual taste on top of 5% ABV yields something that feels like it could be higher than that. The balance is quite clever, the nutty toastiness balances the immediate toffee side.
O- How do you rate a beer that I now see is marked 'Beer with toffee flavouring'? I note that's flavouring instead of 'flavour' - presumably an ingredient - yet the only ingredients listed are hops (fuggles and goldings), malts (ale, crystal and chocolate) and barley. Where does the 'toffee flavouring' feature, I don't see it? Added to which...
The front main and neck lables say 'Eagle Brewery'. The micro-printed rear lable says it's brewed by 'Marston's (Eagle Brewery, Bedford, MK40 [etc])'. Marston's took over previous brewer Wells & Young's Ltd., who were based at the Eagle Brewery, in 2017. Confused, I am? But it's too much smoke+mirrors for me. Interesting trying it, but I prefer knowing what is in the beer I'm drinking.
Bought from BeersOfEurope. 500ml, BB: 31/3/2020.

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

3.67/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a dessert beer. It has an overwhelming smell of toffee or caramel. It has a cola color and it's somewhat light. The taste is not sweet but definitely caramely. I probably wouldn't order this with dinner because I'm not sure what I'd drink it with but I would definitely suggest it for dessert. I would not put this on draft but I would use this for a dessert beer for a tasting.

2.5/5  rDev -28%

3.32/5  rDev -4.3%

3.71/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark amber with a slowly dissipating head.
Really sweet aroma; toffee is definitely there, with slight hints of dark chocolate, vanilla, and coffee.
Taste is slightly lighter than the smell; kind of watered down. I got a bit of metallic taste at the beginning. Very little hops.
Really light mouthfeel with small amount of carbonation.

Would have it from time to time, as it kind of feels like drinking a soda. It would not be my go to 'sweet' beer.

Sticky Toffee Pudding from Eagle Brewery