Young's Waggledance Honey Ale | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-09-2002

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 104 | Ratings: 134
2.19/5  rDev -30.9%

Gold-amber body topped by smallish white head. Inhaled so deep I got foam in my nose and still didn't really smell anything. Nothing really strong in taste either. I don't taste honey. I don't taste much of anything. I read Jason's review before tasting (but after buying), and I would disagree about it being undrinkable. It fairly tasteless save for a slight sweetness. The great Young's Brewery, a favorite of mine, ships it's first new beer to America in years, and it is...a Budweiser wanna-be.

1.94/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 16.9 oz brown bottle with the Ram Brewery emblem right below the neck. “Best Before End” freshness date on the back label.

Appearance: Crystal clear deep golden hued brew, ok lacing the head retention seems lacking a bit.

Smell: Confusing aroma sweet grain with and odd jolting twang that baffles the nostrils.

Taste: Rough crispness with a thin maltiness, carbonation seems ok but the mouth feel is shot with an odd drying effect. Diacetyl flails around in a deaf and blind berserker rage with musty and buttery flavours. Malt and hops are nearly stomped out of the flavour threshold because of this. Honey? If there was any would not be able to taste it any way. I go no further.

Notes: The name is lame enough, but as a Beer Advocate it is my duty to try it. Sadly this brew falls with its faults to a less than decent brew and perhaps further but I have been punished enough, this borders on undrinkable. Did we do something wrong in the US for Young’s to export this brew to us? I like or love the rest of their lineup … if they were to kill this beer it would be not sweat off my back.

2.66/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Clear golden amber in color but after that the ale falls flat. Aroma, taste and my expectations were extinguished. I love all the others brews from Youngs but Waggledance certainly should be a wall flower. The taste was so bland and the honey was not even evident.

3.1/5  rDev -2.2%

Nice clear, golden color. Good head that makes a nice lacey pattern down the glass. But expectation exceeds results once the brew hits the tongue. The body is a bit thin and the flavor follows suit. No honey, no sweetness that I could discern. If the "best by" date didn't say November, '02, I'd say this beer had passed its time.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last