Young's Waggledance Honey Ale | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-09-2002

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
4.1/5  rDev +29.7%

I finally was able to try this when my Long's store started carrying it. I was quite surprised by many of the mediocre reviews posted because I liked this beer just fine. Color was a deep golden and a nice white head left good lace. Nice creamy mouthfeel and a refreshing drinkability. While I personally did not notice lots of honey, I didn't care either. This beer was a very pleasant surprise. A decent quaffable offering from the masters at Young's.

2.8/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Golden amber in color, resembling honey, with a small off-white head, fairly good lace, moderate carbonation. The aroma is quite pleasant, very strong raw honey notes, almost to the point of being overpowering, as well as malts. Taste begins with sweet malt and honey notes, which are quickly and absolutely overpowered by excessive bitterness and an odd metallic flavor. Finish is intolerably dry and bitter.

I am surprised that this beer is not better, as several of Young's products, e.g. Oatmeal Stout, Double Chocolate Stout, are excellent.

Clear, golden-amber in color (like honey) with a white head that holds well and leaves some excellent lace. The aroma displays the Young's yeast character with some honey and sweet maltiness. This beer is filtered, and I'm guessing that some - if not all - of the honey used is added post filtration.The body is medium-light with a very fine & moderate carbonation level. The flavor is lightly malty with just a touch of honey (although some does emerge in the aftertaste), and very well balanced between sweetness at the front of the mouth, and dry bitterness in the finish. Quite smooth and round. Much more interesting and enjoyable than I was expecting! Another winner from Young's. This is a great summer beer, but also has enough character to be enjoyed all year 'round.

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear copper with moderate head that left good lacing. The aroma had evident hops with a slight malt finish, but is light overall. The taste had a nice hop bitterness with decent malt, but more is needed to balance. The mouthfeel is full and creamy, yet short-lived. This is a refreshing and light beer, but could use a little more flavor. Overall, an above average beer but not outstanding.

2.52/5  rDev -20.3%

Golden, dark-straw color with a small white head. Honey is plainly evident in the aroma. Taste is puzzling, though. The beer is dry. The label remarks about goldings and fuggles, but they're barely evident. More fun to smell than to drink. To be honest, I'm really not a big fan of the style, and won't go out of my way for this one again.

2.53/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have to say I agree with Jason. My high expectations of this Young's brew were certainly let down. I dont taste any honey at all in this beer, or really anything else for that matter. Highly disappointing, and a ridiculous name that made me question my manhood.

2.19/5  rDev -30.7%

Gold-amber body topped by smallish white head. Inhaled so deep I got foam in my nose and still didn't really smell anything. Nothing really strong in taste either. I don't taste honey. I don't taste much of anything. I read Jason's review before tasting (but after buying), and I would disagree about it being undrinkable. It fairly tasteless save for a slight sweetness. The great Young's Brewery, a favorite of mine, ships it's first new beer to America in years, and it is...a Budweiser wanna-be.

1.94/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 16.9 oz brown bottle with the Ram Brewery emblem right below the neck. “Best Before End” freshness date on the back label.

Appearance: Crystal clear deep golden hued brew, ok lacing the head retention seems lacking a bit.

Smell: Confusing aroma sweet grain with and odd jolting twang that baffles the nostrils.

Taste: Rough crispness with a thin maltiness, carbonation seems ok but the mouth feel is shot with an odd drying effect. Diacetyl flails around in a deaf and blind berserker rage with musty and buttery flavours. Malt and hops are nearly stomped out of the flavour threshold because of this. Honey? If there was any would not be able to taste it any way. I go no further.

Notes: The name is lame enough, but as a Beer Advocate it is my duty to try it. Sadly this brew falls with its faults to a less than decent brew and perhaps further but I have been punished enough, this borders on undrinkable. Did we do something wrong in the US for Young’s to export this brew to us? I like or love the rest of their lineup … if they were to kill this beer it would be not sweat off my back.

2.55/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Not much honey flavour, a bit thin and sweet and no complexity, just easy (but not interesting) to drink, and quite expensive for what you get.

2.66/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Clear golden amber in color but after that the ale falls flat. Aroma, taste and my expectations were extinguished. I love all the others brews from Youngs but Waggledance certainly should be a wall flower. The taste was so bland and the honey was not even evident.

3.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Nice clear, golden color. Good head that makes a nice lacey pattern down the glass. But expectation exceeds results once the brew hits the tongue. The body is a bit thin and the flavor follows suit. No honey, no sweetness that I could discern. If the "best by" date didn't say November, '02, I'd say this beer had passed its time.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last