Young's Oatmeal Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by erz316 on 02-20-2009

Full bodied but does not weigh you down like a ton of bricks. The sweetness of the malt is well balanced. I usually think of an oatmeal stout as a beer for winter, but this is a good year-round brew.

This is an all around great stout. It is very bitter, yet very smooth. Great mouthfeel, the carbonation excited my mouth and there was a little bit of foam head at the top throughout the entire session of drinking. I highly recommend this beer. Looks thick and black in appearance, there is no seeing through it. This beer couldn't be any better.

The best bottled beer I have ever had. The only beer better is Young's bitter cask conditioned in a London pub. If you love a stout that is smooth and utterly drinkable, than try this exceptional beer. Highest rating!!!

4.97/5  rDev +24.9%

Not so famous as the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, but still an extraordinary brew, one of the best I ever tried.

Very dark, forms majestic creamy crown, leaves generous rings of lace on the glass.

Heavenly aroma, very complex and exciting - roasted & smoked malts, black fruits, caramel, mocco, chocolate...

Taste is fantastic, rich, with a very smooth mouthfeel and a hoppy surprise in the finish. Aftertaste cries for more...

Great stout!

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

Very smooth to the taste, almost like drinking a rich chocolate milk. A bit of a smoky nutty aftertaste. Incredible silky texture. This is definitely one of the better stouts I have tried in a while. The alcohol was well hidden. I had it on tap and it came out great. I would definitely suggest it.

4.83/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours dark, rich black with dark brown tinting at the sides. Full, dark cream colored head slowly falls to a 1/8 inch disc. Smells of coffee, barley, and cocoa. Taste is very much the same, with the inital flavor one of coffee and roasted barley, giving way to a brief hoppy taste, and finishing with a somewhat crisp cocoa flavor. Mouthfeel is full and creamy without feeling heavy, and the beer goes down very smooth. Drinkability is amazing, I could easily drink this one all night if I paced myself. Overall, this is definitely a beer I'll be having again in the future. Very enjoyable.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

I originally reviewed this under the old Young's entry, but since this is the current entry for this beer under its current production status, I shall add my review here, too.

This is an incredible stout, smooth, easy to drink, silky, full of ruich flavour, yet fairly light.

Opaque, almost black, brown, it has a bdig, dense, light brown head that slowly shrinks and leaves fairly good lace.

The aroma is yeasty dough, toasty, and full-bodied with fruit and caramel.

The taste is thick caramelly malt, fresh toast, dark chocolate fudge, with a mild coffee and drier chocolate coming up near the end. It is fairly sweet with only light bitterness. It's full-bodied and silky in feel.

4.76/5  rDev +19.6%

Smooth as silk. Superb oatmeal stout.

4.71/5  rDev +18.3%

What a beautiful beer! Wonderful cascading in the foam. A light tan creamy head that is so perfect that when I took a sip it was like whipped cream! A true luxury among beers! A dark brown beer that is dark without appearing black. The head lasted the entire pint and light lacing graced the glass froim rim to bottom. This one is a winner.

Smell is light roastiness with a creamy coffee profile. Pleasant and no hop aroma detected. Spot on for the style.

Taste is exceptional. This is not a behemoth beer, mind you, but a wonderfully balanced stout that juggles creamy coffee, roasty nut, and a light milk chocolate taste. A slightly roasty-bitter aftertaste cleans up. Beautiful. I did not expect this at all!

Mouthfeel is next to exceptional. I get a full-bodied creaminess where carbonation is more downy or silky than actually perceptible as bubbles. Only drawback is a thin wateriness on the edges. Still very, very nice.

I could drink these all night. I wish I has a nitro-tap of this in the house. Great, great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Poured a dark brown with a thick 3 finger tan head. Had great lacing.

Had a good bread and oat smell with a slight roast.

Taste and feel was a creamy and smooth lightly sweet malt and nutty roast, with a slight hop finish.

Could drink this all night long.

4.66/5  rDev +17.1%

Superb! I can consume my weight in this stuff...just don't ask me any questions that require logic after I do it. This brew pours a dark coffee color with a full 3 finger head that hangs in there quite nicely. The smell is that of a hoppy beer althought the hops are balanced superbly in the taste. Possibly hints of slight coffee tones and creamy throughout the taste and the mouthfeel. Did I mention that this is good stuff? CHEERS, dudes!

4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

Tried this stout for the first time last night and was very impressed. I did expect this to be a good brew because I'm a big fan of their Double Chocolate Stout. I would have preferred it in a nitro can but they only had bottles in stock.

The color was very dark, almost black, with a spectacular dark, thick, and creamy head.

The smell is of well roasted, almost burned, malts with a hint of coffee.

The taste is again of dark roasted malts and a bit of chocolate. It is very smooth and creamy with a heavy body. The finish doesn't last long but is well pronounced.

This is a great full bodied oatmeal stout.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dark chocolate brown with a thick tan head and cascading carbonation. Smell of coffee and caramel and very mild hops. t
Tastes of caramel, smoke, chocolate, licorice(spelling?), vanilla, roasted malt, slight hop.
Finishes dry with a good aftertaste.
This I would take over a Guiness anyday. Very good full flavor stout.

4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

Recently had from the bottle at the Sunset Cantina in Boston, Ma. The menu here both tap and bottle had been pretty stagnant of late so I was very pleased to see they finally changed up their selection and this appeared on the bottle list.

Poured from the black bottle into a pint glass yielding a 1 finger cream-beige colored head atop a pitch black color beer. No light was able to get thru. As I drank the sample, thick rings of lace lined the glass all the way down.

Smell was roasted heavy malt, coffee, and grain.

Taste was oh so smooth and velvety creamy. Malty and tastes of slight coffee, roasted chocolate, oat, and cream. Very smooth with no bitterness and supurb balance.

Moderate to heavy on the palate but not overly thick. Almost no carbonation.

Very very drinkable. So smooth and creamy I only had one at this sitting but could have had many more. I'll be back to try this one again and again.

4.57/5  rDev +14.8%

Smell: Smells earthy and smoky to me, with coffee and roasted notes.

Taste: Tastes of chocolate, roasted oatmeal. Leaves a light dry chocolate after-taste that is quite pleasant.

Eyes: Black with a small ruby haze around the outside edges when shown against the light. A 2 finger head when poured into my Weizen glass (it's all I've got). Head recedes to a fine bubble with a decent lace up the glass in a light tan.

Mouthfeel: Feels of thick and creamy chocolate, very pleasant.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, but very hard to actually drink more than perhaps 2 in a sitting for me. It would be one of those beers that I would have on a special occasion. Christmas, Thanksgiving, something like that, paired with a dark desert.

Overall this is the first of the kind that I've tried, and it'll definitely bring me back to Oatmeal Stouts as a style I'd like to continue tasting in the future.

4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

A - Pitch Black and opaque with a lighter colored creamy head, moderate lacing, and moderate carbonation.

S - Notes of bread, grain, and roasted malt. Faint hints of coffee.

T - Superb. Starts slightly bitter with serious oaty taste; soon after the taste expands to coffee, mocha, and deep malt.

M - Somewhat thin and dry. Leaves the pallete with a mild aftertaste, but still very clean.

D - Tremendous drinkability. This beer is not too bitter, and not too sweet. It goes down smooth and clean. The ABV isn't only slightly over 5% leaving it extremely sessionable.

I may seem biased towards this beer, but thats only because I am biased towards this beer. It is one of my all time favorite beers and will, undoubtably, continue to be throughout my life. For me, it defines the Oatmeal stout genre and gives me a point of refrence for reviewing other similar stouts. Try it- its extraordinary.

4.55/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a very, very dark brown that looks jet black; with some light near it, the red at the edges reveals itself and you realize it's brown. Head is light tan, huge, and has phenomenal staying power. Sticky trails on the side of the glass as it does recede.

S: Roasted malt aroma with some coffee notes and a hint of chocolate. Bit of fruitiness, but only once my nose was in the glass and I was taking my first sip.

T: Big, roasted/burnt flavor up front with some sweet malt. There's a bit of coffee/chocolate in the middle that tapers off to a mild charcoal-like flavor. Finish is lightly bitter, with a long, burned tail. Well-balanced. Just wonderful.

M: Silky, creamy, and awesome.

D: There's not much I can add to this. It's a great beer, wonderful example of the style. It's a wonderful and accessible way to introduce someone to the style, too.

Young's Oatmeal Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd