Young's Oatmeal Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by erz316 on 02-20-2009

Reviews: 453 | Ratings: 557
1.9/5  rDev -52.3%

Pours to a clear black, but quite brown during the pour. Forms a modest light cocoa colored head with average retention and lacing. Has the trademark Young's aroma...hard water, sweet cream butter, toffee, milk chocolate, butterscotch. Mouthfeel is much different than the nitro-can for sure...flittery with a medium body. Taste echoes the aroma...lots of butter. A sickly cloying, mineralized & oxidized ruddy mouthfeel of wet cardboard is inescapable. I notice a little bit of smoke on first sip that has since become less prevalent. Bitterness is oxidized and mild. There's a bit of roasted astringency towards the end. As it warms, it gets worse. Tastes like a soggy buttered cardboard sandwich dipped in cigarette ashes.

To think that 10 years ago, I thought this was good stuff. OK, so maybe I'm babied by awesome stouts, but this one sucks. The ruddy mouthfeel and oxidized taste are awful, compunded by the year-old butter taste. Ugh. Down the sink it goes.

2.48/5  rDev -37.7%

Serving Type: 1 pt .9 fl oz
--I am trying this after just having had another Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout to see how the 2 compare
Appearance: Pours a lovely dark amber. W/ out lighting hit it, it does look quite black. Had a 1 finger Dark tan head that dissipates to leave behind a ring. Plenty of lacing

Smell: The smell is a little mild compared to other Oatmeal stouts...I pick up Caramel, Chocolate and roasted malts(the roasted malt smell is very tame)

Taste: Right away you get the roasted malt taste, a toasty taste toward the end. The chocolate doesn't come through nor does the caramel/molasses. Disappointing. A little smokey as well

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery, goes down w/ nothing much to it. Most Oatmeal Stouts are a little thicker...and this is quite thin.

Drinkability: I won't be trying this again. I picked this up after having had Young's Double Chocolate Stout(which I did enjoy) but this is disappointing compared to other Oatmeal Stouts.

2.56/5  rDev -35.7%

Pours a big BAD stout can just barely pass light through it.

Smell is Almost nothing! Very disappointing, I expected a lot more! I Smell More but nothing is There!

Big smoky Charcoal Taste. And that is about it.

Mouthfeel, OK.

Drinkability. Too one dimensional.

2.56/5  rDev -35.7%

Reviewed 3/3/2006 (25.9oz bottle):

Pours a very dark brown/black color body, with a brown head, good sized, but quickly diminishing. A strong aroma of coffee, molasses, and alcohol. Medium body on the tongue, watery, a taste of coffee, some sourness. Bitter aftertaste, slightly fizzy.

2.57/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at Andy's Corner from the rear fridge... date on the bottom of the can reads May 7, 2005... it's now October 13... shit.

Appearance- Pours a creamy black out of the nitro-can, with its *pop* *hisss* sound. The cascade show that follows is always a treat, and the resulting head sits forever... literally... a half-inch thick on the surface. Looks like a Guinness, you could've fooled me.

Smell- Weak. Compared to several others I've sampled, this comes up way short on aroma. Just a hint of roasted malts and oatmeal, with a disappointing wet cardboard and plastic background. Not at all positive.

Taste- Again, a weak and feeble display of malts and bittering hops... not much in the way of taste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Flat. Smooth. Nothing. Is it possible that this can is past its prime? I am drinking it five months past the date on the bottom of the can... I shall revisit this again one day, and report my findings right here.

2.66/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Something is terribly wrong here. This is one of the higher rated Oatmeal Stouts on this site but it tastes terrible to me. There must be a problem with the bottle or something. I am cooling down a Sam Smith OS right now to get some perspective. If this is the way it is supposed to taste then wow Sam Smith OS blows it out of the water. I have noticed many other reviewers have had a similar problem and questioned the integrity of the beer. The roasted barley is nice but thats all.

2.67/5  rDev -32.9%

*didnt like wouldnt buy*

app: looks weak, but dark. looks kind thin. small head and decent lace. whatever that means.

smell: smells of mild sour feet with some earhty bitter coffeeish stout flavors in the background.

taste: smokey, simple, not very complex or intresting. very 1D nothing bad nothing good. down the middle as an ok stout that is a lil smoked.

mf: fine for a small stout. maybe a bit thick in the back of the mouth for such a lil guy.

drinkable?: not for me, its not bad but not good.

2.69/5  rDev -32.4%

A: Pours very dark, almost pitch black with a rust-colored head with PLENTY of lacing (My wife actually joked and said, “What are you drinking now? Soy sauce?).

B: Smell didn’t do much for me. Smelt musty (someone said something about foot odor), with the faint aroma of stale chocolate.

Taste: Dark, cocoa and coffee notes with malt.

MF: Very smooth and watery.

D: I don’t think I will be trying this again. I got the bottle at Spec’s for over three dollars, and at my dinner party tonight during cocktail hour, I ended up giving the rest of my pint to my mother-in-law who “doesn’t care for beer” but “liked whatever it was I was drinking,” after letting her try it. I wanted to try and find something for fall drinking, so it looks like I’ll have to keep looking. Then again, I’m not usually a stout drinker.

2.71/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance: Pours a black body with a full, foamy light tan head.

Smell: Faint aroma of chocolate and licorice with a very unappealing sour quality to it.

Taste: Dark chocolate flavor with a hint of root beer and a shot of water. The finish is thinning and watery.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not nearly as full-bodied, complex, or flavorful as other oatmeal stouts.

2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

A- Almost black. Beautiful tan head that remains as a single layer for the length of the experience.

S- Coffee, chocolate, graham cracker, molasses. Overwhelmed by synthetic aromas, like fake coffee and cheap chocolate.

T- Initial malt, burnt toast, but more of the fake coffee, plastic, metal, cheap chocolate, etc. Just tastes very... synthetic. Finish is slightly burnt malt, and the other synthetic tastes already mentioned.

M- Thin. Somewhat creamy, but overall a bit watery and thin.

D- Better than the average beer, but there are far, far better oatmeal stouts than this. Try a Highland or a Sam Smith's if you want a good example of the style.

2.74/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I love getting head like this. Big, bold beautiful head. The color of, well, oatmeal.

I'm not picking up too much of anything distinct in the nose. The label refers to a "fruity aroma," but I smell no such thing.

The taste is surprisingly disappointing. Just not a whole lot going on. Kind of mild and forgettable. It is smooth, though. I'll give it that. It gets a little better as it warms toward room temperature. I'm picking up a bit of a "toasty" finish now.

Mouthfeel is rather thin and disappointing as well. Not thick & chewy, which is how I like my oatmeal stouts.

I wouldnt want another of these, frankly because I wouldnt want to waste my time.

2.83/5  rDev -28.9%

my first oatmeal stout. it poured dark and thick as hell, didnt notice the smell, didnt know what to expect tastewise but hoping for the best. i was greatly disappointed. compared to so many other dark beers its just so...bland. in fact it lives up to its name, it tastes like it was made out of plain oats. nothing was standout bad or anything, it just lacked the rich flavors and complexity of, say, a good dopplebock. i just dont see the advantage of drinking this one when theres so many more flavorful beers out there.
again theres nothing standout bad about it; if this is your thing im sure its a good one, but for me it was just extremely plain tasting.

3.06/5  rDev -23.1%

Mostly dark, dark brown. Actually a transparent ruby when viewed with a backing light. Thin but persistant tan dome.
Cola sweet and bready nose.
Bready intially. Pumpernickel loaf. Not much in way of roastiness, which earns this demerit points in my book. Yeastier and continually bready midsection. Vaguely smoky. Out of place sweetness. Not especially oaty (though oats are noticed, lightly), mostly just a slick and greasy cola sweetness with sassafras notes. Some chocolate notes pop up late just to prove that this is, in fact, a stout. Hop dryness at the end, but little associated flavor.
Oily in the mouth. Overly thin right away, but bolsters itself slightly as it sits.
I can't say I am too impressed here. It's lacking in several key catagories and has some odd (off?) flavors to boot. I'll pass.

3.06/5  rDev -23.1%

I understand that in London, you're either a Fuller's guy or a Young's guy. I guess I'm a Fuller's guy. This is not a bad stout, but it just seems rather thin. It pours a nice tan head, it has a great dark, almost black color, but the smell and flavor are a bit light. If I'm going to drink a Young's stout, I'll have their Double Chocolate Stout.

3.11/5  rDev -21.9%

I had the chocolate, was expecting more from this one...

Pours deep brown, almost black. The head was around a finger, moderately foamy with very good lacing throughout. Brownish foam. Smelled of roasted malts, was expecting more oats in the nose but could barely tell it was there. Taste was mainly the roasted malts, again there is some oat but I was really expecting more oatmeal. Very slightly sweet. Mouthfeel was pretty good. This stout is rather good, but I'd go with the chocolate one any day.

3.11/5  rDev -21.9%

On tap at Croxley Ales in Franklin Square, New York.

Appearance: Dark opaque black/brown with thick tan head.

Smell: Toffee and Chocolate.

Taste: Initial toffee and chocolate flavors. This was followed by a metallic taste that I did not like at all. A nice nutty flavor also came through. Unfortunately, the metallic taste ruined the taste of this beer for me because the other flavors were otherwise very good.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy (due to the nitro draught) but also somewhat thin.

Drinkability: The metallic taste hurt the drinkability for me.

3.12/5  rDev -21.6%

Young's Oatmeal Stout

Appearance- black with a skimpy brown head.
Smell- roasted coffee bean, chocolate, and ash.
Taste- roasted burnt coffee beans. Watery and smooth with a slight bitterness. After 3-4 sips the taste becomes more and more watery.

Overall- a mediocre stout that I would prefer over Guiness but wouldn't purchase again.

3.12/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours from a dark brown 22oz bottle into my nonic glass a typical black; Not quite a black hole, but dark indeed, with a couple thin ruby dots appearing when held up to a bright light. Head a lot thinner than I'd like, mild retention, but at least it covers the whole beer after receding.

Smell okay for the style; Coffee (with lots and lots of sugar the way my BM1 drank it on the bridge), oats, a tiny hint of acidity, bread and honey.

Taste appealing, but a little thin. There's a smokiness I haven't noticed in other Oatmeal Stouts that turns me off rather a lot - reminds me unpleasantly of a smoked porter; Coffee and bitter cocoa mix flavors.

Mouthfeel not as sumptuous as I've come to desire from a stout, a little too thin, almost like a porter. Carbonation is light and swishy, about how it should be. There's too much bite, not enough velvety clinging.

I suppose for this beer drinkability gets an ok score because this would make a great session stout. Actually, if I was in the mood for a session and didn't want to get full, this stout would do well. It doesn't do anything wrong, really, it's just not a Meal in a Bottle, which is how I like my stouts. You could drink lots of these without getting full. I personally wouldn't because I don't think it's all that satisfying an experience.

3.13/5  rDev -21.4%

Deep mahogany with slight tan head wich dissipates quickly and leaves only a faint and spotty lacing. Aroma is roasted malt with a faint hint of caramel and a slight hop presence. A little thin on the palate with a weakened malt flavor which finishes on the dry side. Overall a pretty average stout and not as nice as their Double Chocolate Stout which I found impressive.

3.16/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured in the typical nitro can fashion black with a creamy head. Nothing exciting about the smell just a hint of dark malt and no hop smell. Tasted almost like a half fermented beer without the yeast. Hops arise but are there only for a second and disappear to sweetness. Mouthful was creamy and rich but drinkability suffers from the odd sweetness. Maybe if it were a little bitterer either from the use of hops, roasted malts, or barley I would enjoy this somewhat disappointing beer more.

3.21/5  rDev -19.3%

Youngs Oatmeal Stout: in the half liter brown bottle. Great looking black beer, tan head with a tremendous amount of staying power. Very light chocolate aroma, but noticeable. Taste is very nice, mouthfeel is smooth, and it seems easy to drink. What’s the problem then? Well it’s a good oatmeal stout, very much middle of the road, but there is lots better. Average.

3.29/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my imperial pint glass--looks quite nice in here I might just take a picture.
Down to business. The bottle notes: "A dark, ruby coloured stout almost black from a distance, with a beautiful creamy head. Brewed with roasted malts, it has an exceptionally smooth palate and fruity aroma with a short but distinctive finish reminiscent of toast."

The description is obviously somewhat on the kind sight but is otherwise pretty spot on. From any farther away than a few inches you're looking at a pitch black beer but up close the ruby red tint comes through. The head off the pour wasn't nearly as frightening as I expect: The creamy espresso colored head inflated to about 1/2 an inch in height before settling down. It laces decently sip after sip.
The aroma is very clean and reminiscent of some dark fruits --cherry. Mahogany also comes through on the nose, as does dark roasted malt. All together it's very subdued and bland though, and I had to stretch my imagination to get a smell out of the beer.
This isn't a bad tasting beer: the palate is certainly 'exceptionally smooth' I was just hoping we'd get some more creaminess out of what looked like it really could've blown my socks off. The oatmeal of this 'oatmeal stout' really doesn't show at all. It tastes vaguely of flaked oats, yes, but more so of dark roasted grains with a slight hint of coffee flavors. More so, there's a nice amount of dark cooking chocolate present that balances the brew out relatively well: it's still just missing something.

On the whole: this isn't a spectacular oatmeal stout, but it's certainly a strong example of the style. I got the bottle for 2 bucks on clearance and might just go pick up a couple more for what it's worth.

3.3/5  rDev -17.1%

Dark black color. Large head. Aroma is kind of weak, touch of roasted grains and coffee. A lighter to medium bodied stout. Malts are roasted, hints of coffee a touch sweet. Touch of spiciness. Fairly dry. Smooth taste. Nice drinkable stout. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is dry. Aftertaste is a very slightly bitter.

3.31/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours from the bottle to a dark brown color with medium tan head that lingers through most of the glass and leaves good lacing. Aroma is chocolate, nuts and some malt, but fairly faint. Beer is smooth drinking, with a mildly chocolate malty flavor, but again, fairly faint. Leaves a smooth finish. Not bad, but I’ve definitely had better stouts.

3.31/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a pitch black color covered by a nice layer of silky brown foam.

The smell is strong of coffee grounds. Grassy and herbal.

The flavor is very roasted and smokey. Coffee and molasses round out the palate. It has a hard water taste to it. I'm not sure if brewing with hard water shows up in a beer's flavor, but it has a rusty/iron/hard water flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin for the style, but not bad. Drinkability is decent. This is not a bad beer, probably a slightly above-average beer that I was just expecting a little bit too much from.

Young's Oatmeal Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd