Young's Oatmeal Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by erz316 on 02-20-2009

Reviews: 453 | Ratings: 557
3.86/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Just about jet black in color with an off-white nitro-induced head. Faint dusty aroma of chocolate and perhaps coffee. There's something a bit off in the aroma that I can't quite pin down. A bit thin in body, especially once the nitrogen dissipates. This doesn't bother me too much in a stout of this strength. The dark malt flavors of this stout lean towards dark chocolate and coffee in that order with a bit of a bitter finish. The finish is fairly long and tastes of chocolate tinged with heavily roasted coffee and finally hops A very smooth, drinkable oatmeal stout with medium long bitter finish. Not too bad.

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Color is a deep dark, fully black, and it rests below a large, active, dark tannish head. Aroma is on the sweetish side, notes of cream, nuts, cocoa. Smoooooth and silky sweet!
Mouthfeel, smooth and lush, nearly perfect, except...well, ...I could definitely use more from the hop department. Wait,..there they are...ooops, they're gone, again!
Malt is big, warm, generous, with a lasting, luxurious finish.
Smooth, delightful, delicious, very easy to drink. If drinkability were the only factor, it would be a 5, but when complexity enters this smooth Young's brew suffers a bit.
Still, an uplifting, happy stout!

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice deep dark brown topped with a creamy off-white to tan head that cascades to the top out of the nitro can. It lingers there for a while, but eventually dies and only the lace on the glass remains. Aroma is pretty weak, but it has a nice bit of roasty malts with some coffee and a bit of chocolate.

The body is a bit thin on this one, and the flavor is lacking. The creamy mouthfeel is excellent, but I would really like some more flavor. Roasty malts with a bit of chocolate in small portions cover the basics, but I would like more. Not at all a bad stout, but it is definitely a weak one.

Notes: Nitro Can-Best Before December 2002...darnk in March 2003-oops! Well this beer poured with that lovely cascading effect that only a nitro can (or bottle) can deliver. This smelled of roasted malts, hops, coffee, chocolate and smoke and it tasted like more of the same. Wonderful flavors can be found in this beer and yet it is also extremely well balanced and easy to drink. This would probably be better non-nitro or tap as the nitro takes away from the aroma and taste a bit. Not bad despite the fact that it was past its best by date. This had a very creamy, heavy mouthfeel and a nice drinkability as well...My first Youngs and it was quite nice!
Cheers!,
F.

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottle served at the BC Beer Café in Helsinki. Beer is pitch black (okay, VERY dark brown), low to no head. There's some irritating carbonation that pricks on the tongue - if given the choice, I would most likely prefer some nitrogen in a beer of this style (I know that many of you will disagree with me on that!) Moderate roast aroma, the rounded flavour has some coffee notes with a strong oatmeal presence, hardly any bitterness to match the sweetness. Porridge aftertaste. Very filling - I had it 1 hour after a solid breakfast, and it was like having another full meal ("liquid oatmeal porridge"). Of course it's not a bad beer, but as my expectations were sky high, you'll have to forgive me for being a bit disappointed.

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: solid dark brown, lush creamy head with nitro cascade effect. Head settles down to a solid half inch & sticks around well.

Smell: chocolate, toffee, coffee, roasted grain. Good stuff, not as strong as you might like, but solid & a very unified aroma over all.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: very nicely put together flavor. Has a smooth solid taste start to finish, even caramel coffee, toasty goodness everywhere. A pleasure to drink, a flavor that keeps developing as it goes, keeping you always tasting a new shade of the same thing.

Drinkability: rather heavy, certainly a winter warmer. If you’re in for more than 4 or 5 I would say eat light, but overall a very satisfying brew.

Ave

3.11/5  rDev -21.9%

On tap at Croxley Ales in Franklin Square, New York.

Appearance: Dark opaque black/brown with thick tan head.

Smell: Toffee and Chocolate.

Taste: Initial toffee and chocolate flavors. This was followed by a metallic taste that I did not like at all. A nice nutty flavor also came through. Unfortunately, the metallic taste ruined the taste of this beer for me because the other flavors were otherwise very good.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy (due to the nitro draught) but also somewhat thin.

Drinkability: The metallic taste hurt the drinkability for me.

3.49/5  rDev -12.3%

Perfect nitro can pour yielded a beautiful, deep, dark brew with a light tan head that, of course, retained perfectly and stuck all over the glass. Nutty aromas are detected in addition to mild coffee notes. Somewhat weak on the strength of the aroma though...I was a little disappointed.

The mouthfeel is creamy and buttery, as expected. Quite enjoyable. However, something seems to be lacking in the complexity of this brew. I think when I hear the words "oatmeal stout," I immediately think of a wonderfully dark, complex, delicious meal in a bottle (or nitro can). There are definitely flavors of chocolate, coffee, and roasted dark malts in this stout. Yet the body seems a tad thin, and I expected this to be a much more hearty brew, with stronger, more discernible flavors. I suppose I also can not help but compare this to Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, in my mind, the king of all stouts. Young's is good, yet IMO is seriously lacking in comparison to many a stout I have had the pleasure to imbibe.

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Presentation. 16.9 ounce bottle, Best Before End Date FEB 03. Pours like motor oil struggling to get out of the bottle, black as night, thin foamy head, clinging in massive patches throughout. Initial smell is of bread and licorice, quite pleasant. Strong taste of caramel up front with a nice twang of smokiness left resting on the palate; followed by somewhat of a sweet barley sensation. My only comment is the label states a distinctive finish reminiscent of toast; just didn?t finish that way for me, still outstanding, a quite drinkable stout.

4.11/5  rDev +3.3%

This stout poured out a deep brown/black with a great tan head. I pour it aggressively to enjoy the head forming in the dark liquid. The aroma and taste both were good but not outstanding. The presense of malt dominated both. The mouthfeel was creamy and exellent. The feel of the beer covered the tongue and was the fullest of any beer I have had in quite some time. This is a classic oatmeal stout and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to understand what an oatmeal stout SHOULD taste like.

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Black in color with a faint brownish hue near the bottom of the pint. The nitro-induced head is full, very creamy appearance and tan in color. The head retention is excellent with very good lacing. The aroma provides a hint of fruitiness and caramel maltiness.The taste is noticeably smooth and silky mouthfeel which is primarily provided by the nitro-induced carbination. The flavor is of a delicate fruity, caramel malt with some distinctive vanilla overtones. A subtle milk chocolate matliness and an underlying hop bitterness is also apparent. The finish is soft, with an underlying bittersweet chocolate roastiness. Even with the artifically induced, nitro-carbonation, it may have smooth, soft mouthfeel, but appears a little thin in texture than other stouts. I still found it to be a very drinkable and enjoyable beer.

3.72/5  rDev -6.5%

Black in color , I can see through the glass when held up to the light, has a creamy tan head. Chocolate and light burnt coffee aromas. Dark roasty- sweet chocolate flavor, nice soft and creamy mouthfeel, it is a decent oatmeal stout, very drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich dark garnet...bordering on black, but light does get all the way through.

Exceptionally retentive head, took several minutes to settle to a thick layer of lacing.

Smells mildly of roasted malt and a hint of chocolate.

Taste is far too subtle to merit a 4. A reserved roasted malt flavor with unusually low bitterness, and a hint of smoke. Very smooth, but I've had locally brewed oatmeal stout that was both smooth AND full-flavored. Maybe this brewery's water is very soft..it tasted like reverse-osmosis water that someone had steeped malt in. Faintly sweet, but dare I say watery.

A bit of a disappointment; although it was smooth and drinkable, I need stout to have a bit of oomph in it. This dry brit seemed bored and distant, and I won't be seeing her again.

4.18/5  rDev +5%

Being a big fan of Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout I thought I'd give their oatmeal stout a try. This beer pours black with a thick creamy foam head the color of coffee ice cream. When held to the light you can see some ruby red colors in the beer. The aroma is faint and smells of malts and chocolate. Each sip of this full bodied creamy beer has a taste of roasted malts and chocolate. It almost reminds me of a mild version of the chocolate stout, but has characteristics more like Guinness. There is a very mild bitter aftertaste.

I found this beer to be very drinkable and quite tasty. However, I think I was looking for more malty and oat flavors than what I found.

3.21/5  rDev -19.3%

Youngs Oatmeal Stout: in the half liter brown bottle. Great looking black beer, tan head with a tremendous amount of staying power. Very light chocolate aroma, but noticeable. Taste is very nice, mouthfeel is smooth, and it seems easy to drink. What’s the problem then? Well it’s a good oatmeal stout, very much middle of the road, but there is lots better. Average.

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), 2-3 weeks in my fridge, poured 45F, reviewed 45F-65F.

The head is light cream/tan, almost a little grayish. It's fairly dense and leaves spotty lacing. The beer itself is solid black.

The nose is fruity with hints of coffee and a slight sourness. The front is toffee, with chocolate kicking in as the beer warms up. The middle is sweet and milky and again, chocolate is more noticeable at higher temps. The finish is mildly bitter and slightly sour.

This is a good beer, but not my favorite oatmeal stout. I find both Samuel Smith and St. Ambroise more interesting, more full-bodied and just plain better tasting.

4.06/5  rDev +2%

Black with ruby red highlights and a nice creamy brown head. Light roasty aroma. Burnt roasty malt flavor. Medium bodied with a light alcohol finish.

I prefer this English Oatmeal Stout over Samuel Smith's but neither are really robust enough for my tastes... prefer the American versions if given a choice.

Freshness date did not appear to make a difference when tasted new or old.

(16.9 oz)

Best Before: 11/02 Tasted: 01/26/03
Best Before: 05/03 Tasted: 01/26/03

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

Nice and creamy, but nothing special. Pours out black with a decent head. Real smooth and actually quite tastey. Mmmmmm oatmeal stout! This is a good beer, but there are better oatmeal stouts on the market. Magic Hat Heart Of Darkness is my favorite of the style.

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a black ruby color with a thick and creamy tan colored head that eventually fades into a heavy and sticky lace. Nose is sweet roasted malts, dark coffee, smoked wood, and licorice. Very smooth and creamy in the mouth with tastes of bitter chocolate, smoky charcoal, burnt coffee, and a touch of vanilla. Very little hop presence. A nice oatmeal stout, but nothing special.

Oatmeal stouts are just plain good. Its like a meal and a drink all in one. This one is a bit thin compared to Rogue's Shakespeare, but is still quite good. Pours out to an almost black color in the glass with a very, quickly disappearing head. Taste is quite good, with a slight "oatmeal" sweetness and a decent roasted malt presence followed by a light dose of hops. Very drinkable.

3.76/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this stout to be a little bland compared to other oatmeal stouts I have tried recently. Maybe my tastebuds are just shot. I really like it overall though, the appearance is wonderfully dark, and I could definitely enjoy many in a row. I guess I just compare too many stouts to Sammy Smith's.

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was turned on to this lovely brew when my wife returned from a business trip to Oxford, England. She came back raving about this oatmeal stout that she had there, and this is a lady who usually prefers beers no darker than a Sam Adams. When I found it at my local beer distributor, I had to try it, and was not disappointed. Until recently, they only carried the 20 oz. bottles, but today I saw it in a 16 oz. nitro can, and since I'm a sucker for a creamy head, I got some.

It pours very nicely, a full, creamy dark beige head, and below, a color as black as a black hole, pulling you closer with its gravitational force-"Drink me, drink me..."

It tastes of strong chocolate and coffee, and mayhaps a hint of licorice. The finish has a hint of grapefruit/citrus tang, which is mellowed out by the slightly sweet chocolate flavor. My current favorite quaff!

(Please be gentle, this is my 1st review!)

4.22/5  rDev +6%

A jet black beer with lovely head that resembled the crema from espresso and a nose of a rich dark chocolate. A good flavor of coco, roasted malt and charred wood (adding a nice astringency) and loads of licorice.

A superbly creamy mouthfeel, though a tad thin.

A 500 ml bottle cost me 1100 yen (US $10)!!!

I tasted no sweet oatmeal. I too prefer the double chocolate stout and am distraught that I cannot buy it in Japan.

3.78/5  rDev -5%

Deep, dark brown, almost black with ruby highlights when held to light. The head is light brown and leaves a bit of lacing down the glass. There are roast malt aromas, with hints of coffee. In the flavor is a slight creaminess, with roast and coffee flavors. The bitterness is evident, but subdued by the malt flavors. A bit of warmth from the alcohol is also present. It is a smooth brew, but not like other Oatmeal stouts I have sampled. It is full-bodied, but the mouth-feel still seems a bit thin. Overall, a good beer, I would sample this one again.

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This stout from Young's was a slight disappointment for me. It was a fine brew but lacked a certain fullness that one looks for in this sort of beer. The bitterness was ample with tasty burnt flavors. The middle on the palate taste seemed weak. While it was a decent brew I much preferred the double chocolate version.

Young's Oatmeal Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd