Banana Bread Beer

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Banana Bread BeerBanana Bread Beer
Notes: Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.
View: Beers
Reviews: 967 | Ratings: 3,251 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
InspectorHound from Canada (ON)

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look: Pours a clear, bright copper colour with a one finger yellowed white head. The head has great retention, after 5 minutes its still a good 1/4 finger with substancial lacing clinging around the glass.

Smell: Strongly of candy (artificial) banana flavouring, with a bit of malt. If you have ever smelled marshmallow banana candies, that is what to expect here.

Taste: Pretty watery, with the artificial marshmallow banana flavour coming through into the middle of the sip.

Feel: Light and pretty heavily carbonated.

I figured this beer woiuld be pretty gimmicky. Less like a nice slice of banana bread and more like banana marshmallow candy, or banana syrup mixed with seltzer water. This might have been beter served to play up the toasty malty attributes of banana bread, rather than the candied sweetness. This earns a B-

Sep 27, 2021
KayleighRambeau42

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Hey, do you remember that banana medicine you had as a kid ? Cause I do (and I freakin loved it) but I can’t lie that this is what the beer tastes like… it’s great for me cause I enjoy that flavour but the banana medicine is also something I haven’t heard fond feelings about… but an interesting beer that I enjoyed!

Aug 12, 2021
Tony787 from Canada (ON)

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I bought a can at the lcbo in Ontario 500ml at 5.2%.
poured into glass dark reddish color slow carbonation with a 1finger head.
smell is like fresh bananas almost.
light to medium bitterness with some spice
smooth and creamy banana taste and malts .
overall a little different with the banana bread and lager beer
it was
ok.
cheers

Jul 27, 2021
misteil from Ireland

2.65/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

beer no.600, had this the other night. my tradition now for each century is to have a bad beer for fun i suppose, now i’m not sure this qualifies as an objectively bad beer like some of the others i’ve had, but man this is unpleasant, the banana flavour is more akin to banana liqueur than the fruit itself. i’m reasonably fond of banana flavour in beer, love a good hefe, but this doesn’t cut it, far too sweet, banana flavour is totally overwhelming, the nutty and spicy flavours subdued, not good.

Jul 25, 2021
trance0

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Smells like banana bread, tastes more like an American lager with hints of banana. I enjoyed it for what it is, but this isn't a session beer and I'd likely only buy it on sale for special occasions.

Apr 24, 2021
Sigmund from Norway

2.68/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

500 ml clear bottle, as Wells Banana Bread Beer, bought at Systembolaget, Sweden. ABV is 5.2%. Deep golden to amber colour, moderate white head. Fairly strong artificial banana aroma, not very pleasant, kind of sickly actually. The flavour is somewhat better than the aroma, notes of artificial "banana" candy throughout, but the sweetness is not overpowering, and there are notes of malts, toffee and hops too. The finish is reasonably hoppy. Would I drink it again, if for free, in order not to insult the host? Yes I would. Will I (ever again) pay good money for it myself? No way!

Apr 18, 2021
Elemental19xx from Illinois

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

This is certainly banana bread flavored, and pretty realistic banana flavor and smell. That being said this beer is just not that good in my opinion. They achieved the flavor they were going for, but banana is just not a great pairing with beer. Fun to try not that great to drink.

Apr 18, 2021
Buckwinter from Massachusetts

3.19/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a clear copper tone with a three-finger head. Good lacing!

Smell: Definitely smells like banana bread! With some hops scent creeping in.

Taste: Banana is there. It comes and goes between the hops. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than average carbonation. Average mouthfeel.

Overall: I guess I had my hopes set too high. There just wasn’t enough the banana flavor present to make it worth coming back to.

Feb 13, 2021
rlsmith1994 from Illinois

2.66/5  rDev -25.3%

Based on the description, I expected a more flavorful beer. The dominant taste, though, is basic American lager. I could only taste the banana and fruits as an aftertaste and even that was very slight. Definitely not bad, just not very complex or flavorful, to me at least.

Feb 13, 2021
FBarber from Illinois

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a crystal clear orange color. Quite effervescent feeding a thin sudsy off-white head. That head forms and then dissipates until just a half moon of foam remains on top of the beer.

Aroma has notes of banana, not really banana bread, more like notes of fresh banana. It reminds me of a banana forward hefeweizen.

Taste has notes of banana, banana bread, spiced bread, clove, with some earthy hops notes on the back end. a touch of sweetness. Its kind of a weird English pale ale - hefeweizen mash up.

Feel is light to moderately bodied. Smooth with moderate carbonation.

Overall its an interesting beer. I did not personally enjoy it, but can see how some people would like it.

Jan 07, 2021
BigIronH from Michigan

3.94/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This one is unique. I've never had a banana bread beer before and this one in particular comes from overseas. The first smell was all wheat notes of a typical ale. One drink yielded that roasted bread flavor with undertone of artificial banana almost like banana Runts, going back for the second smell the banana came through. I really enjoy this one for the novelty of it and its a good change of pace, but I probably won't buy it again especially at 5$ a pint.

Jan 01, 2021
1009 from Massachusetts

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

This beer caught my eye with its interesting branding and unique flavor. Never seen a banana bread beer in my life. Anyways picked it up and poured it into a glass to see its amber color and thin white foamy head. A sniff gave me artificial banana flavor memories. After tasting it, I pinpointed that the candy it reminds me of is Banana Laffy Taffy. Not exactly a good mix with beer, but it drank fine. Not a total waste, but didn't need it in my life either.

Oct 12, 2020
CarolineEllio from England

4.88/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Delicious beer, lots of different flavours, tastes complex - but you wouldn't guess it was made with bananas. Light brown, with lots of froth; feel is smooth and deep. Can't really smell it as my sense of smell not great since having coronavirus!

Oct 12, 2020
Megamickel from Texas

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a Teku glass. Before I even finished the pour, the aroma of banana come rushing to my nostrils, like I had just unpeeled one of those yellow long bois and was about to take a bite. The brew has a gorgeous amber color, poured up with a robust head of about two fingers, which had decent retention and left behind a nice trail of lacing. When I actually went in to give it whiff, the banana smell came through strong, with the malt behind it giving it a nice scent that was definitely reminiscent of fresh-baked banana bread. On tasting it, there's a bit of hoppiness, with the banana bread flavor still there, though not quite as sweet as expected, and definitely with more bitterness creeping in than I would have liked to see with the banana flavor. Feel is smooth and round, with enough carbonation to keep it light without being too sharp for the beer's character. It's drinkable enough that I'll finish the sixer, but I don't see myself returning for another sampling.

Sep 30, 2020
BloodSoakedAleMug from New York

4.29/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This is rated a little low on BA if you ask me, deff worthy of more than an 80.

Look: Pours a burnt orange, almost bronze color with a one finger, off white head of dense foam. Decent head retention and lacing.

Aroma: Unsurprisingly, banana bread. It's not terribly sweet, which I appreciate, a lot of times beers in this style can become cloying on the nose. Subtle hints of butterscotch/caramel in the back. Very mild cherry candies / confectionery sugar. Some notes of (pleasantly) burnt toast.

Taste: Thankfully, not a sugar bomb. It's sweet but moderately so. Upfront restrained, but still tastefully rich flavors of floral/yeasty banana cream with an underlying dougheyness. It's complemented by a hint of dry vanilla bean with some spicy hops in the background to round things out. Butterscotch if you really look for it.

Feel: Medium body. Smooth on the palate. Silky with low carbonation. Sugar profile is apparent, but not so much that it sticks to your tongue, which can often be the case with beers of this style. I'd even go so far as to call it thirst quenching and sessionable if banana bread is your thing.

Overall: Pleasantly surprised with this. Like I've mentioned a flaw of other "banana bread" fruit beers is that they can often be too sweet, almost like soda creating an overbearing "alchopop". This is very well balanced for what it is with great body and flavor that doesn't overpower your palate.

Sep 16, 2020
Greywulfken from New York

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Expected something a little sweeter and more rich here - basically an India pale with hints of banana bread - so, not misleading, but not exceptional or interesting - mildly sweet, mildly bitter, medium-bodied - okay but not something I'd return to...

Jul 10, 2020
Snowcrash000 from Germany

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, amber coloration with a medium, frothy head. Smells of biscuity, grainy malt, banana and herbal hops. Taste is a good balance between biscuity, grainy malt, some toffee, banana and herbal, slightly spicy hops. Finishes with a light/medium bitterness and some banana and herbal hops lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel wirh a medium body and carbonation.

This actually turned out better than I expected, with neither the banana nor sweetness being overbearing or cloying and actually feeling somewhat subtle, while the grainy malt, herbal hops and light bitterness come through rather nicely here, providing a good balance.

Jun 30, 2020
defnofoiw

3.32/5  rDev -6.7%

I bought it because of the can - a pint of beer with a banana peel. I feel like the artwork on some of these cans gets overlooked - it's an art. I mean I was not looking for a banana flavored brew, but I bought it due to the can art. Anyhoo - the beer delivers what it promises - it tastes like banana, and due to it's dry finish, it seems a bit like banana bread. It is actually a well-crafted beer. Crisp (dry) and refreshing - sweet, but not cloying. It leaves a bit of a grip on the tongue and the aftertaste is a bit funky at the tail-end. The banana taste is a bit fake for me, would like more natural banana flavor and maybe some of the spice notes that are normally found in banana bread. It's a good effort - I think this concept has potential and would like to see what it could become.

May 04, 2020
Vernhart

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

Smells like banan laffy taffy. Tastes like banana laffy taffy. Was difficult for me to open... like a banana laffy taffy (tried a bartender trick...didn't work out). I'm not sure it's beer, but I don't mind it.

May 02, 2020
Welshie95

Simply one of the best beers I've tasted. Many flavored beers leave something to be desired, but not this one. Upon smelling it, it would be impossible to mistake it for banana bread. This beer was simply a joy to drink.

Mar 27, 2020
Beejay from Virginia

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: a beautiful medium brown with a light tan head.

S: banana, and apple cider with a nice bread aroma.

T: a bit more tart than I would have thought. Tastes much like a British pale ale with some banana flavor as well. The banana doesn't come off as fake, but it is subtle. I wish the bread was a little more present.

M: medium light in body, fairly high carbonation, and a dry finish.

O: not a bad brew, but I was there was a little more ooomph.

Feb 26, 2020
pianoguy from Washington

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1PT bottle. Best before 20 June 20

Pours a clear copper body with a white head. Visible carbonation. Moderate retention. Some thin lacing.

Heavy banana scent along with a sweetness that gives it a bubblegum effect. Somewhat prominent.

Taste has that Hubba bubba sweetness along with a little soda cracker. Dry finish. Slightly bitter aftertaste reminds me of a diet soda.

A little under carbonated.

This was my first fruit beer review so I tried to keep an open mind and review it true to the style. In trying to be fair, I may have even been a little overly generous with this score. The scent did deliver a huge amount of bananas as promised. but I really disliked that diet soda bitterness on the taste. It wasn't a "good bitterness" and for that reason this is a one and done beer for me. But I will give this style another try with something else...

Feb 17, 2020
Rug from Massachusetts

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear orange with a small white head that fades fast and leaves spotty lacing

The aroma is really authentic, banana esters, wheat, rich and slightly spicy yeast. Similar to a good hefe

Taste is banana up front, really sweet, definitely a molasses note in here, followed by a malty sweetness and a touch of hops

I’m left wishing this was a little heavier in feel, but the carbonation saves it from becoming too watery

Overall this is really solid, easy drinking but still interesting. Definitely true to its name and I quite enjoyed it

Jan 20, 2020
TheRealMrWillis from Maryland

4.44/5  rDev +24.7%

L: Surprisingly dark. A thin head lingers even after it fades down.

S: Banana bread! And a bit of malt.

T: This beer delivers on its name. The sweet taste of banana bread is upfront, with a tiny hit of bitter to remind you what you're drinking. Similar to a hefeweizen.

F: Medium-light smooth feel. It's nice to relish the flavor a bit.

O: You get what you expect with this beer. If you're a banana bread fan you should love this.

Jan 15, 2020
James94 from England

3.99/5  rDev +12.1%

L: Slightly hazy golden colour, little head or lacing
S: Candy banana, strong hints of banana milkshake, apple
T: Banana syrup, grapefruit, sweet malts
F: Smooth, medium-bodied, easy to drink

O: 4