Banana Bread Beer

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Banana Bread BeerBanana Bread Beer
Notes: Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.
View: Beers
Reviews: 956 | Ratings: 3,220 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Mehinaman:
Mehinaman from Washington

4.27/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I like this beer! The banana flavor is there, but it is very subtle. Overall the beer is very crisp and refreshing. A perfect summer day brew

Jul 01, 2015
AverageJoeReviewers from New York

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L- Pours banana yellow.....just kidding. Light amber.

JUST LITERALLY SPILLED ALMOST THE ENTIRE BOTTLE.

S - Who would have thought. Smells just like bananas. and also the carpet I just spilled the beer all over.
T - Bananas and Malt. That's about it.
F - Smooth novelty beer.
O - We are simple men. We like Bananas. We Like Beer. We like Banana Bread Beer

Average Joe Approved

Jun 19, 2017
Dustin_Sallitt from New Jersey

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is awesome. Pours a copper with a slight red tint, minimal head. The smell is spicy banana, with breads malts and some toffee behind. The taste is just what it should be. Tastes just like banana bread with just enough alcohol to know your drinking beer. Very on point. Some slight clove flavors as well, definitely Belgian yeast used. A good change up or dessert beer if you can get it fresh.

Aug 15, 2015
Ozzylizard from Pennsylvania

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Undated bottle at Rachel’s Roadhouse into a frosted glass (That’s all we have)
Aroma of banana, doesn’t get stronger as it warms up
Head small (two cm, aggressive pour), off white, frothy, rapidly diminishing to two mm ring and a few small islands of froth
Lacing – none
Body amber-orange, clear
Flavor initially very strong of over-ripe bananas with a solvent after taste. As it warms, the banana flavor drops to a tolerable level and the after taste lessens. No hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 3.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

Jul 13, 2015
btheluvdoctor from New Jersey

4.26/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was very leary about this one but part of me was compelled to try it. I must say, it's not that bad. Poured it into your normal pint glass. The color is golden brown. Nice smell & taste of fresh bananas. The wheat taste wasn't overpowering. Only downside was it didn't keep its chill very long (could have been the person's fridge I was using). That partly messed with the taste. I would try another & recommend this to a friend.

Oct 07, 2015
ControlVolume from Colorado

This is a beer that does exactly what it claims to do, and the banana bread taste is fairly spot on even if it veers a tiny bit towards a laffy taffy flavor. I have mixed feelings about it because it is simultaneously one of the worst beers I've ever had in my life and yet I'm still glad to have tried it, because it's terrible in such a unique way.

Jan 27, 2016
zander4dawin from Texas

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

Sweet mellow mart profile with ripe banana flavor, laffy taffy, some bready malt notes.

Sep 04, 2014
Jtee from Canada

3.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From a 500ml bottle served almost straight from the fridge at 11 degrees Celsius into a tulip. Best before date: 25.04.2018.

Look: The beer pours a brilliant deep amber/light copper with 3cm of puffy, off-white head that fades into a partial film in less than 2 minutes. Good lacing and decent overall head.

Smell: Moderate strength and balancing towards sweet. Fruity, floral, and earthy hops. Faint pale malts and toffee with quite a bit of banana.

Taste: Follows the aroma seamlessly with moderate strength and good balance. The front is fruity (mostly banana) and hoppy (earthy and floral) which switches over to soft, sweet malts and a lingering hop bitterness. The finish is medium in length, of moderate intensity, and well-balanced.

Feel: Medium body with high carbonation. Prickly and mouth-coating with no apparent alcohol.

Overall: A solid, quite refreshing, and easy-drinking fruit beer. Somewhat complex in nature with the special ingredient adding a layer instead of it being overpowering. Nice harmony between all the ingredients. I might revisit the brew every now and then because of its value.

Aug 28, 2017
QUINNY0960 from England

4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

Exactly what you want from a flavoured beer

Jan 22, 2015
StoutHunter from Michigan

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked a bottle of Wells & Young's Banana Bread Beer last week for $4.99 at The Lager Mill. For some reason I've never tried this beer and I thought I would put an end to that and give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown pint bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a clear light amber color that took on more of redish amber color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of bubbly of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the banana yeast being the first to show up and it imparts a nice natural banana flavor that's followed by the malts which impart a sweet malt, light toasted and bready aromas. Towards the ends comes just a slight nutty aroma. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, it did remind of Banana bread a little.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the banana yeast still being the first to show up and it imparts the same natural banana aspect. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects with the sweet and bready malts sticking out the most with just a slight nutty flavor showing up in the background. On the finish there's not bitterness with a little sweetness taking it's place and it had slightly watery aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, the flavor also a little similar to banana bread.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little watery, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok, I wish it was thicker and creamy.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, it did live up to it's name when it came to tasting similar to banana bread, but this beer begs for a thicker and creamier mouthfeel to support those flavors. This beer had ok drinkability, one bottle would be my limit, since the mouthfeel would really wear on me. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma, it was pretty nice and I thought it was the highlight of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is the mouthfeel, it was just ok and it needed some work. I don't think it would get this beer again, but if I was in the mood for it I might get it. I would recommend it if you want a lighter beer that tastes similar to banana bread. All in all I didn't mind this beer, but it's far from a favorite, but I think it could have some potential if they worked on the mouthfeel. It's not my favorite beer from this brewery and it's not a favorite of the style. I didn't this beer, but I think with a little more work it could be pretty good.

Apr 17, 2015
chaseparker9

This is one of the best beers I've ever had. If you're into something different and refreshing, this is it. You take your first sip and its beer but the after taste is absolute banana bread goodness.

Feb 14, 2015
LiquidAmber from Washington

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium coppery amber with a fine, two finger white head with great retention and thick lacing. Aroma of bready malt, bananas, light floral and toffee hints. Flavor is bready malt, authentic banana, fresh whole grain bread, light grassy hops. Finishes with spot-on banana bread flavor, down to a little vanilla. Nice medium bodied with light to moderate creaminess. I'm surprised I haven't reviewed this before. It was one of my introductions to the weird world of off-beat beers and an instant favorite. I haven't seen it for years, and thought it may not be as great as I though so many years ago. The initial taste is, good, with great banana flavor and sturdy malt, but a little attenuated and light; I wanted a bit more flavor depth. But then the finish has that remarkably true, real banana bread flavor that really is pleasant. Not for the banana bread intolerant, but a delightful idea and well made beer that lives up to its name.

Oct 17, 2018
jbone09 from Massachusetts

Originally I thought this was just a novelty brew, but that would be a disservice to this fine beverage. It's got a strong copper hue, with a swell of distinct banana aroma. Pours a nice foam head, about two fingers. Taste is pleasant to say the least; strong banana, nut, bread flavors. I like to compare it to a meal in a glass. A refreshingly original beer—top marks.

Apr 11, 2018
emerge077 from Illinois

3.27/5  rDev -8.1%

Drank this many moons ago, pre-beer reviews, on a poor recommendation. Never thought i'd see it again.

Pale clear beer. Saturated golden tone, deep brassy color, occasional rising bubbles. Thin layer of foam and skim.
Aroma is spot on banana bread, caramelized sugars, ripe bananas, sweet cakey banana bread. Hard to tell if it's artificial or not at first, but the taste confirms it. Tastes like a pale lager with artificial banana bubble gum flavoring. Dull crackery malt aftertaste. Light bodied, thin feel and carbonation, super bland and hollow. Finishes fairly dry, thankfullly. If this was sickly sweet it would be another story. A flavored novelty beer, nothing more.

Thanks to Dustin for the can!

Feb 22, 2018
ZebulonXZogg from Illinois

3.32/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a bright copper color, small white head. Terrific aroma of bananas....but that's about it. Flavor has a hint of banana. My wife hates beer but wanted to try this, she actually drank 4oz of it. I'll leave it in the store next time.

Mar 26, 2018
Kyote0402 from Massachusetts

4.42/5  rDev +24.2%

Exactly what should be expected when getting a flavored beer. Very good.

Jan 19, 2015
mbrehne from New Jersey

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Love this beer. It isn't too sweet at all and isn't over powered with the banana bread flavoring. Has a unique flavor that is certainly something trying

Jul 09, 2015
hoptheology from South Dakota

2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

Serving style : 11.2 oz glass bottle poured for appearance and such

Appearance (3) : Rich, bready looking 2 finger head. Copper, amber hues with low transparency. Good.

Smell (2.5) : Exactly like a banana "runt" (you know the candy we ate as kids?). A little malt. Little else.

Taste (3.25) : A little harsh off the bat with some sour malts, but then the banana flavor comes in ever so slightly and tricks your tongue into believing it's a banana (or a banana runt). The rest of the flavors are mixed in so well but they blend excellent. Smooth and tasty. I'm getting faint monkey bread. Some sour mash. Banana. Cracked barley notes trail off (I'm stretching here).

Mouthfeel (3) : Sharp carbonation with a wet feel. Smooth however a bit one-dimensional. Ends minimalistic and average - but easy drinking.

Overall (2.93) : I would call this a wheat lager with banana notes. The nose is the strongest part of this "banana" beer. It doesn't taste like banana bread, and it doesn't feel like a craft so to speak. It's a notch above the macros and it's pretty decent, but if they marketed it under a wheat beer with banana notes and put it in 12-pack cases I'd be more excited about it (and probably by hype I'd give it a 3.5 or more). If you're expecting banana bread, just buy a loaf instead (or get your mama to make you one). It's probably as close as any brewer has come to it, but it's a far cry from a delicious treat.

Aug 30, 2014
zenwatts from Minnesota

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

Oct 27, 2013
EnojysAnyBeer from Colorado

3.99/5  rDev +12.1%

A good beer if you like the taste of bananas

A- Looks like an english pale ale with a transparent dark amber/copper color and a decent head that leaves minimal lacing.

S- Smell is of banana bread. Enticing

T- Taste is heavy on the banana with a backbone of bready malts and a very slight pinch of hops

M- Feels lighter than what I would have expected, but refreshing

D- Drinks good, but too much banana for me.

Sep 02, 2008
travduke from North Carolina

4.09/5  rDev +14.9%

Had this at my recent tasting on food flavored beers. It really stood out.

Look: The body is golden with a thin white head that barely lasts a minute. Lacing is there, but not as sticky as I was hoping.

Smell: This smells like my Grandmother's banana bread.

Taste: Banana, nutty, sweet malt. This taste like real banana bread. Its interesting and delicious.

Mouth/Drink: The mouth is a bit thin, but smooth and nicely carbonated. I could only seeing myself drinking a couple of these due to real banana bread taste.

Mar 17, 2010
ripweblo from Florida

Jun 17, 2013
LampertLand from Canada

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well's Banana Bread Beer @ 5.2% , a 500 ml bottle served cold into a pint glass
A-pours a clear dark gold with a fine smallish off white head , leaving some lacing along the pint glass
S-banana bread
T-very rich tasting ripe banana bread , some spice leads to a crisp dry finish
MF-pleasant , a bit sweet , medium body with lots of carbonation
Ov-a definate summer beer , not a favourite , but I'm glad I got to try it