Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

United Kingdom (England)

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Reviews: 884 | Ratings: 3,015

This is one of the best beers I've ever had. If you're into something different and refreshing, this is it. You take your first sip and its beer but the after taste is absolute banana bread goodness.

this was a very good beer. the pour was perfect and the head was great! the color is almost a caramel/oak color and the smell is that of bananas, caramel, sugar, and nuts. the mouthfeel is nice and smooth, this beer will leave you wanting more. the first sip is full of banana flavor. i would reccomend this beer to anyone that wanted something different.

Poured into a pint glass at room temperature this beer started with a thick foamy white head that dissipated with the first sip

Smell: Floral/bananas

Taste: Slight spice/bananas!

I am a huge fan of banana beers and this one rocked my world. I had first discovered the world of banana beer through a much more subtle beer called El Jefe Weizen Ale of Hale's Ales. I recently went to my co-op and couldn't find El Jefe so I tried this beer and I now prefer it.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this beer...the aroma, the taste, ahhhh...I love anything banana and banana nut bread is one of my favorite desserts so imagine how excited I was when I saw this on a local pub's beer list. It met every expectation I would have of a banana bread flavored beer. Did not disappoint at all! Not overly fruity or sweet, but it is a dessert like beer. It was nothing short of fabulous!

I went out to the beer store to try out something new that I had never tried before. I didn't know what to expect when I bought this beer, but I was surprised at how great it tasted. If you ever want to try something different that is enjoyable, give this beer a chance!!!

4.97/5  rDev +41.6%

F***ING BANANA BREAD!!! THIS S*** IS BANANAS!!! B.A.N.A.N.A.S. Great specialty beer. While not my kind of beer I would certainly consider buting again if in the mood for some liquid dessert! Just goes to show that sweet done right can still please a hophead.

4.94/5  rDev +40.7%

its banana bred beer in a glass nothing more either you like it or hate i think its perfect taste just like a banana bread i giggle its so good if you like banna bread drink tis beer nothing more to say they capture wht they were going for nothing needs to be said enjoy the berr yes or no i love it so enjoy

4.92/5  rDev +40.2%

poured from a bottle into a weizen glass

i had very low expectations for this beer but i was plesantly surprised. i have tried other "fruit" beers before and this one is in a league of its own. as the name states... this beer does not just smell like banana, but it smells EXACTLY like banana BREAD. the banana taste was not overpowering. beautiful color and good appearance (head disapated quickly). i could drink a bunch of these and i will definatly buy this beer again!!!

4.89/5  rDev +39.3%

Maybe because it's the first time I've tried anything like it, this beer felt fresh and refreshing (which are two different things)
The banana flavor was superb, both felt and unintruding to the beer. Superb

App - It poured a clear golden-brown color, kinda like a brown ale, but very clear. Practically no head, but what was there left some nice lacing

Smell - 5, and an easy 5. The fresh smell of banana and beer makes you wanna chug the thing down in a gulp and ask for seconds. Clear and clean, fresh bread smell behind the fruit

Taste - Keeping with the smell, you feel the banana immedietly, but the taste of fresh bread and solid english brown ale comes with it. Great initial, main and aftertaste to this one

Feel - Smooth, not a lot of carb. Again this one keeps with the traditional English Brown. You can have quite a few and not feel heavy.

Overall - If you see this in the supermarket, don't buy just one to sample, buy at least 2 because you're gonna want another.

4.85/5  rDev +38.2%

I don't really go in for fruit-flavored beers, but I had wanted to try this one for a while. Even if the label had merely said "Beer", without the eye-catching "Banana Bread" I would enjoy and recomend this one. The fruit flavors are far from overwhelming, to the point that if somebody were looking for a sweet beer they may be disappointed.

Pours from the bottle into a glass with a deep copper color, with little head. A distinct banana aroma, yet subtle enough that I may not be able to properly identify it if I didn't know what I was looking for. Bold flavor - once again the banana is there, but takes a supporting role.

A bit pricey in NYC at $5.99 for a 1 pint 9 oz bottle, but I will definitely return to this again and again, perhaps savoring it just for 'special' occsasions.

4.82/5  rDev +37.3%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear, dark golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Minimal amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Strong smell of banana bread.

Taste- Tastes like fresh banana bread in a glass. Just a bit malt peeks through with no hop bitterness whatsoever. Very faint metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a average amount of carbonation. Smooth and slightly creamy.

Overall- I have had this on my wishlist for awhile now and I am very glad I found it, Since I enjoy banana bread I think this beer is delicious. This beer delivers on the promise of its name!

4.82/5  rDev +37.3%

Appearance: Light, blonde, and clear.
Smell: Clean, crisp with a hint of banana.
Taste: Light taste, easy on the palate. Slight hint of banana without the sweetness.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and light
Drinkability: Nice beer that has a hint of banana bread. Very easy to drink and goes down smooth.

4.8/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Nice brownish amber color to beer.. about a half inch of off white/antique white head. Good bubbles but head did not stick around long. By the way... I smell the banns already. Very nice lacing.

Smell was what the bottle says. Banana.. a little spice and hops somewhere but overall is banana..

The first thing I noticed in the taste was the overall beer and malt taste. The banana came immediately following it but crept up. Nice hoppy/spice taste towards the end but the banana is all there but more or less gets stronger... than weaker in the taste. Beautifully balanced. The banana is not an artificial banana taste... but not a smoothie/100%banana from the farm taste either. It's sorta on it's own but in a good way.

Mouthfeel was very smooth and medium to full bodied.. good amount of malt. nice crisp finish with a smooth pleasant banana malt aftertaste. It says on the label that ale's used to be called bread beers because they were considered meals in a bottle. Well that's how this beer felt.

Overall I would say this is an excellent beer. Fans of banana flavor should definitely seek this out. I do recommend this beer to people and is the perfect beer to sit around with and you could drink it for hours.

4.79/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer of all time, but I don't drink it as often as I would like, so when I do, it is a real treat. The appearance, smell and taste are incredible. It is a perfect blend of beer, banana and spices, and has perfect carbonation. Highly recommended! Give it a try.

4.75/5  rDev +35.3%

Jumping Jesus. This is Top 5 for me. This beer goes great with grape Jolly Ranchers and a Newport cigarette. I can drink 4-packs of this delicious brew all day, every day. And I do. Bravo Wells, Bravo.

4.75/5  rDev +35.3%

I love this beer and completely satisfied with my selection. I was completely love the smell and aroma of the beer and reminds me of banana bread. The clear color is beautiful. The pour of the beer into the glass was smooth. The mouthfeel was smooth.

4.74/5  rDev +35%

The look isn't that dark, but that isn't the most important part of a beer in my books.
The smell is amazing! It smells like a banana and what else can you ask for for a Banana Bread Beer?
The taste is wonderful, I believe that because it first gives you a taste of beer and then is followed by a taste of bananas. This is an excellent effect in a beverage.
The feeling is a nice carbonated one. As a once upon a time soda drinker I can respect that.

Overall: you're missing out if you haven't tried this at least once in your life.

4.74/5  rDev +35%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer at a bar called Myngle in Lee's Summit, MO. First thing I noted was that the bottle was large (1-pint) and nicely shaped. The extra beer gave me a real chance to experience the texture and taste individually. I like a beer I can chew, so this flavorful liquid is right up my alley.

- Appearance (4.5/5)
It had a nice copper tone to it that wasn't too vibrant. It looked warm, even in the blue lighting under the bar adjacent to our table.

- Smell (4.75/5)
Bananas. Literally. You may as well have opened a banana right in front of my face and torn it to shreds. And it was a real aroma too, not a fabricated scent like they put in candy. Which leads into...

- Taste (4.75/5)
The taste was the most accurate to the smell I have ever experienced. You know how when you smell coffee it smells robust and amazing, and then a majority of them taste bitter or sour? Sometimes beer can be like that too. (Don't get me wrong I LOVE that. It's the reason I am such a huge fan of IPAs) But this beer was the exact opposite. It hits initially with the alcohol and taste that a fermented liquid should carry then quickly melts back into a savor banana (and bread) flavor.

- Mouthfeel (4.75/5)
The most interesting thing I have to say about this beer is the mouth feel. As previously stated, I like a beer I can chew. When you consider bread you typically think of a chewy soft substance and this beer had it. It is key to not that the beer is called "Wells Banana BREAD Beer", not "Wells Banana Beer". I worried when I ordered it that it would be all banana and no bread. This was not the case. The yeast they chose for fermenting naturally fills in that flavor for you and they did a great job and balancing the warming sensation of bread with the banana flavoring to make an equal and robust experience.

- Overall (4.75/5)
Great experience all around. The only thing that would make it better is if it were served with a warm slice of its namesake.

4.72/5  rDev +34.5%

This beer is amazing. Its a little sweet, smooth tastes like bananas but not to the degree that it's unpleasent as it finishes with a wheat taste. I can't overemphasize how smooth this beer is, the low alcohol isn't even detectable and overall I find it about as drinkable as beers can come.

4.71/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a slightly orange tinted golden color with a decent and fast settling white head that leaves no noticeable lacing on the glass.

The nose is amazing. The banana is balanced with the floral hops that are sharp and sweet at the same time with hints of pepper, vanilla, pine, grass, and bread.

The taste is wonderful with a dry malted bed that has some nicely balanced banana flavors that have the peppery flavor of the hops all perfectly blended

The mouthfeel is just right for this particular beer, not too watery and not cloying.

Overall this is one exceptional beer. I wa shesitatnt about bananas and beer, but it works exceptionally well.

4.7/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love banana bread so I had high expectations... and they were met. Poured in a pint.

A: pours a honey- amber color, with a half inch tan head with minimal lacing.

S: Can smell hops and banana bread, making me happy.

T: Boom goes the dynamite. Scrumptious. First begins with the hop flavor followed immediately by straight up banana bread, as if you just took a bite. I wish i had some banana bread to go with this.

M: Very crisp, much carbonation, very light

O: Despite what everyone else has said, If you're a fan of banana bread, this beer is up your alley. Its light, refreshing, easy going and with great taste. Try it.

4.69/5  rDev +33.6%

A- Clear copper with creamy frothy head and nice retention. Spiderweb lacing.

S- Banana bread? Definite banana and yeast, baked bready tones with some toasted scents. A little spice.

T- Rich, deep and strong ripe banana througout. Nice notes of chai spice. Baked bread taste. nutty tones. Spice cake. Hops and hints of vanilla and rum.

M- Moist bread with a medium body. Light cream.

D- Very delicious. Complex and deep with nutty flavors dominate. Rich and hints of spice. Very nice. Slight hops and well balanced. Vanilla tones set this one off from the regular.

4.68/5  rDev +33.3%

I absolutely love this beer, I have never seen or even heard of a banana beer so I had to try it. In my opinion it has a mildly average taste of banana..which is just enough. Its light, has a very nice color and aroma. I bought two, one to drink and one to store. I really wish i know more about banana beers and what kind of hops and grains goes into this Wells beer. any feedback would be great!

4.65/5  rDev +32.5%

Holy Crap, this is a Banana Moonpie!!! Somehow, this beer reminds me of a flavor of saltwater taffy. This should be tried at least once by every beer drinker, even if never again. It would be a stretch for me to finish a full glass of this, much less a second. That being said, I feel that if you ever loved sweets in your childhood, you will Love at least ONE sample of this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is very refreshing and it taste just like the label... BANANAS!!!! This for me is one of my all time favorites to enjoy in the summer months. Gives you that tropical feel like your in the islands! Anyway it is a light, easy to drink beer that is not overly sweet, but leaves you with a great beer/banana taste that lingers. If you like banana or fruity beers, add this to your list!

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd