Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 3,070 |  Reviews: 901
4.02/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L- Pours banana yellow.....just kidding. Light amber.

JUST LITERALLY SPILLED ALMOST THE ENTIRE BOTTLE.

S - Who would have thought. Smells just like bananas. and also the carpet I just spilled the beer all over.
T - Bananas and Malt. That's about it.
F - Smooth novelty beer.
O - We are simple men. We like Bananas. We Like Beer. We like Banana Bread Beer

Average Joe Approved

3.32/5  rDev -5.4%

The beers pours well with a nice head. Smells like banana bread. Okay, that's fine so far. The taste: banana bread but the feel is flat and thin. This could use some better yeast and sizzle. The beer is flat tasting and thin. More sizzle would really help. I would not buy or drink this again.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear yet somewhat hazy orange/brown body with a one finger white foamy head that quickly dies and leaves some light clingy somewhat foamy lacing; the aroma has banana bread (wow, never would have thought that something like this wouldve been pulled off, but Wells pulled this one off right on the spot); the flavor is sweet, in fact somewhat bready sweet, banana aftertaste; its fairly easy on the palate; overall, well, though fairly hard to review to style due to the vague yet somewhat broad range of flavors, and since this is my first "banana bread" beer - well I like this one and would have it again.

3.37/5  rDev -4%

Got a can from a craft beer store in Maryland, did not see a date. Poured into an English Imperial Pint Glass

Look: Poured a dark, golden color that was rather opaque. Got a good amount of head that was rather bubbly and disappeared fairly quickly. Almost looked like yeast doing its magic in bread.

Smell: Big banana bread smell right off the bat, however there is also a cheap smell that is a little too much like a really cheap macro brew, although it could be more of a metallic smell due to the can. No real hop smell, but of malt and ale aromas.

Taste: Better than I expected. I thought it was going to be a total novelty beer, but there is a pleasant, fruity taste on the palate. However, I was disappointed it was not as much of a banana flavor as I hoped for once the head dissipated. Slightly unpleasant taste that I cannot pinpoint, though no metallic taste at least.

Feel: Pretty standard and smooth, there is not anything crazy when this sticks out. I do notice that the finish kind of leaves a somewhat sticky, chalky finish on my lips which I am not a huge fan of.

Overall: I did not know completely what to expect with this beer, but I walk somewhat surprised in a good way. The smell was pretty nice, although the taste does feel like a slightly letdown after the pleasant aroma. However, this is not a beer I'd probably buy again considering the price point was quite high.

3.14/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

4.73/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2.68/5  rDev -23.6%

330 ml bottle ageing in the fridge for a few months, so may have been a bit past its peak. Pours a hazy amber tone with a strong white head of foam. The froth dissipates relatively quickly leaving some sticky lacing, but reappears with swirling later. Unfortunately, I don't detect the fabled bananas and bread in the bouquet, which I find are dominated by the traditional ale aromas - cereal, bread and dough in an earthy sort of way. In the mouth, however, a light taste of bananas is detectable, though it does not last too long before it is subsumed under the malty ale flavours. Overall, it tastes lightly sweet, with an average level of carbonation. Mouthfeel, however, is rather thin and a bit watery, hence a bit of a let down at the end.

3.74/5  rDev +6.6%

3.58/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

500 ml bottle dated 20/09/17. Assuming that's a best by. 20 oz. nonic pint.

A: pours a dark copper with 1 finger off-white head and loads of carbonation. Fair lacing.

S: Smells like banana Laffy Taffy. Banana esters loud and clear!

T: surprisingly un-banana, given how strong the smell was on the nose. Arrives very English; bready, toasty, banana, even a little nutty. Mid palate is dark, toasted wheat bread, and overripe or artificial banana. Turning to a mild floral English hop bitterness, with a mild lingering medicinal quality and banana.

M: medium bodied with very active carbonation. Actually, overcarbonated, bites a little. Very clean, not slick, with some lingering medicinal hop.

O: everything I love about English ale, plus bananas. Bready, toasty, fruity, with a subdued but noticeable hoppiness. Not sweet, which is a pleasant surprise. Weird to score. I would, much to my surprise, drink this again.

3.76/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%

3.69/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%

2.27/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

4.2/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.59/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.87/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

3.81/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I would normally never look at this beer, but my wife had heard it makes a great half n' half with Young's Double Chocolate Stout, so I picked up a 4 pack for her to try. But I'll give it the once-over on its own for the sake of a review.

Actually made with bananas, according to the label. Hmm. Wish I knew the base beer in order to make a true assessment.

L -- Pours a clear copper color into my Imperial Pint nonic. Thin, off-white head that quickly settles to a thin cap.

S -- Light banana esters, considering the use of the fruit. Not much more.

T -- Banana and vanilla characters up front, some light citrus notes in the middle, some mellow hop earthiness and bittering in the finish and aftertaste. The vanilla and banana combo encores in the aftertaste as well.

F -- Mouthfeel is soft to syrupy with a light-medium body.

O -- Probably not a beer I'd reach for consistently, but it's surprisingly drinkable. Probably a little heavier with banana than a Bavarian Hefeweizen, but not so overpowering that you think you're drinking a smoothie and not a beer. I imagine I'll have to try a swallow of my wife's half n' half when mixed, I can see the chocolate stout mixing well with the flavors.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd