Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

3.5

Reviews: 875 | Ratings: 2,987
2.27/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

09/01/2014
Aroma is banana. Slight acetone,but not offensive. Appearance is clear yellowish brown. Taste is ash, alka-seltzer; citrus and banana are part of the aftertaste. Feel: Crisp, above average carbonation. Nothing special, but an interesting concept. Not a big fan of the banana anyway, but I've had some amazing beers (belgian mostly) with banana like flavors....this is not one of them.

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This 5.2% ABV “Fruit/Vegetable Beer” by Well’s and Young’s Ltd is a great beer of its class.

Look-It pours a honey-like color with thin foamy head and sparse lacing.

Smell-Creamy, rich, malty, banana bread aromas characterize this brew.

Taste-The taste is full of fruity phenols focusing on banana and the bready malts that compose what I would say tastes like banana bread. It’s no surprise, but I was hoping that it would be both obvious and not too sweet or artificial. The mouthfeel is creamy, medium-bodied, and leaves a nice banana ester coating on the tongue.

Overall-It’s a good beer and is pretty much what you’d expect from the label. It’s one of those beers that you’d like to try once just to see what it is like.

4.42/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Bought in a 16.9oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

L: Very nice deep orange-brown color and has a borderline champagne-like amount of bubbling going on. (Small bubbles that are constant.) The head poured pretty thin and bright white at first and dispersed very rapidly, which was surprising to me because the beer is actually decently thick. Pouring the final .9oz into my pint glass I pour hard and got a decent head built up, but it still bubbled away quickly.

S: It smells straight up like banana bread to me, I'm loving it. I literally was finding that I was taking huge sniffs of the beer on every sip because the smell was so fantastic.

T: Very banana on the nose and into the middle of the sip. Fades into a peppery hop flavor before ending on a pretty sharp bitterness. (It's really quite sweet and it needs the bitterness, but to me is is a midge over the top on the back end.) Overall, flavor is pretty good. Actually better than I expected. And I am a little biased positively because I love when brewers use peppery yeast and hop strains.

F: It is what I was hoping for after a long day. Smooth and thirst-quenching. As I said, bubbly for sure.

O: Wraps up pretty nicely. Good beer that I would drink it again. (Might be a safe bet if your buying for a picky girlfriend or something too!)

At $6 for a 16.9oz bottle in NH, I can probably find a better value.. But hey, if you're buying then I'm drinking!

4.46/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I didn't expect this to be half as good as it actually is. I was more than pleasantly surprised at this high quality beer.

L: Beautiful copper color - 1 finger head with light lacing

S: Sweet yet hearty banana. It's amazing to me that I'm completely able to pick up why they call it banana bread beer instead of just banana beer just by the smell alone.

T: Another shocker - I expected to taste beer and banana flavoring, what I got was this beautiful mixed and flavorful substance that was a party of flavor on the tongue. It's funny, the easiest way I could describe the taste was banana, bread, and beer. Accurate labeling to a T

F: Medium thickness with carbonation that was just right! Very filling, I almost wish it was a tad less filling so I could have a few.

O: This was a beer that I didn't have high hopes for. This was a beer that I assumed would just be some flavored resemblance... an interesting fun thing that you drink once and forget about just to say that you've had it. Instead, this is now a part of the staples that I will continue to buy moving forward and will be a beer that I know I will have cravings for in the future. Although, it probably can an extra .25 or two due to overcoming poor expectations.

4.49/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a copper-orange color with a decent head

T: Backbone of caramel and toasty malt with a faint and pleasant aftertaste of banana

S: Primarily smells of banana

M: Medium mouthfeel

O: A pleasant and very drinkable beer

4.02/5  rDev +14.9%

I love banana bread and beer so naturally I had to try this one. It's actually a good beer despite sounding odd. It has a natural banana flavor and really does taste like banana bread, smells like it too. I don't think i could drink more than one at a time but it's a great beer to try in a mixer-sixer.

4.27/5  rDev +22%

On pour got a very fizzy drink, a lot of carbonation. When it settled down a decent sized frothy head appeared, looked decent. Head looks good, nice and creamy looking.

Head does die a little and there is some slight lacing.

The colour was dark amber, with a tint of red, and overall the beer looks the part…..

The aroma is of…..well, bananas!

Lovely clear, fruity smell, gorgeous, and I dont even like bananas, ha ha! Strong but not overpowering, very pleasant and very tempting.

Smells of banana bread, with a hint of toffee……

Taste: Well it does exactly what it says on the tin, its all banana

A beer with banana, tastes like beer with banana! But its lovely, very smooth, doesn’t taste a lot like beer at all. Very sweet, but still smooth enough to drink. A bit of caramel noted as well.

At first I thought the alcohol content of 5.2% wasn’t apparent, but I think it does kick in near the end.

Everyone in the house had a try, went down a storm, all liked it.

There is a slight hoppy aftertaste that is a bit urgh, and it could do with more body, but overall very smooth. It is different, so hats off to the brewers for trying something new, refreshing and all good. I am not sure you could down a lot of these in a session, but definitely would be great to sip on a hot day. Recommended, and looking forward to trying this beer out again soon.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a copper color with a decent foam head, the lace is semi thick, creamy and retains well.
In the aroma is, obviously, predominated by banana. I also detect bready malt and bubblegum. This is also reflected in the taste, which, interestingly enough, reminds me a bit of a hefeweizen in that there is a banana flavor and a slight clove flavor. Unlike the hefeweizen, there is a stronger barley malt as opposed to wheat flavor. The taste is, overall, sweet, perhaps too much, with only a tiny bit of hops presence. Medium bodied and with a semi dry finish.
This one was decent enough, not particularly complex and easy to drink. I'm glad I tried it, but, as I do not consider it anything too special, I will not go out of my way to seek it out again.

3.47/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My first tough was that this was going to be sweet. After my first sip, it was not the feeling I was expecting.

The overall feeling is not that good at all. The ABV 5.2% and the IBU is around 15.

The 500 ml bottle is a nice clear bottle, the only thing attractive to this one.

The aroma of banana is not that present at all.

Not that good overall

3.92/5  rDev +12%

More refreshing than it sounds!
This one pours a dark orange in color
Smells like the hard "Runts" candy bananas.
Tastes is same, candy bananas! With a nice sweet yeast

I enjoyed it

4.3/5  rDev +22.9%

Very nice malt flavor. Banana flavoring added, but definitely not overpowering. Definitely something you could pair with a meat, potatoes, gravy style meal. Here in Wisconsin, we'd call this a "supper club" beer.
NOT for the hoppy IPA enthusiast...

3.24/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Poured from 500ml bottle into pint glass. Limited amount of head disappeared quickly, leaving behind almost no lacing.

Smells of banana bread - sweet malts, cloves, and banana are prominent. Taste, on the other hand, is almost nonexistent, with a mild maltiness followed by lingering bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin and watery, over-carbonated.

With bananas at 59 cents a pound, you should just bake banana bread. Skip this beer.

3.96/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an amber color into the glass. The nose is a strong banana smell. The head is fairly thick, and frothy. The taste is, as to be expected: banana. There is a bread feel to it, which is to be expected. It is a good beer, in my opinion.

4.89/5  rDev +39.7%

The look isn't that dark, but that isn't the most important part of a beer in my books.
The smell is amazing! It smells like a banana and what else can you ask for for a Banana Bread Beer?
The taste is wonderful, I believe that because it first gives you a taste of beer and then is followed by a taste of bananas. This is an excellent effect in a beverage.
The feeling is a nice carbonated one. As a once upon a time soda drinker I can respect that.

Overall: you're missing out if you haven't tried this at least once in your life.

3.51/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass straight from the bottle.

Appearance: Dark gold color coming off with medium to heavy bubbles on the body. Head is an off-white color which drops quickly...rose initially to maybe half a finger's length.

Smell: Bananas and malts...light but pleasant.

Taste: Nice smooth banana and hops with dose of walnuts and/or almonds. Crisp smooth.

Mouth: Medium to heavy bubbles on the body. Light stickiness.

Overall: Descent brew, not really the one to go after the sweeter beers but does the job and should please most especially on warmer weather days. Salud!

3.88/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Look: Pretty generic, not a great head, somewhat golden
Smell: Spot-on like banana bread, in my head I see the brewer just smelling this beer until it was perfect and never tasting it.
Taste: Honestly pretty good, the malt manages to back up its "cake" namesake and the banana comes from some other source, whether it be yeast or mash.
Feel: A little light, maybe too fizzy for the style? Didn't really come perfectly together. Needs more body.
Overall: Despite my apparent misgivings, this is a solid brew. You should buy this if only to smell it, and then you should drink it because it actually comes together quite nicely. If I didn't make my own super-awesome banana bread this would probably get a 4.25 overall. Still a good beer, and one that you should try, or at least sniff.

3.5/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours virtually without a head. Appears golden copper and translucent, almost like an IPA. Smells like banana bread for sure but with a slightly artificial and bright scent. The flavor of banana Runts comes to mind. Tastes almost exactly as it smells. Mouth feel is effervescent but not overly carbonated and not smooth. Overall I am glad I tried it but it's one of those beers you would probably try once, maybe twice. A decent job though at pursuing an offbeat and unorthodox flavor so some credit is due to the brew master there.

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

From cervezasespeciales. In Ikea's english pint glass. Watching True Detective 1x01. Amazing nose.True banana and not like in hefes.Taste good too but excessive bitterness at end of sip ruins it a bit

3.81/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wells Banana Bread Beer is a very different beer to say the least. The pour was a nice solid copper/amber with a little fizz and a small head. The smell is definitely that of banana but not too over powering. The wheat taste was far from over powering. In fact it tasted just fine. I was a bit leery of even giving this one a shot, but for the most part, it was an average tasting beer. Not bad, for a change of pace .

This is a beer that does exactly what it claims to do, and the banana bread taste is fairly spot on even if it veers a tiny bit towards a laffy taffy flavor. I have mixed feelings about it because it is simultaneously one of the worst beers I've ever had in my life and yet I'm still glad to have tried it, because it's terrible in such a unique way.

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Interesting aroma and flavor on this one, as it really does smell and taste like a loaf of banana bread. Appearance is somewhat lacking, relatively flat carbonation and almost no head. Smells like bananas, with some light maltiness. Taste again is sweet bananas with a short metallic finish.

1.72/5  rDev -50.9%

Purchased as a draft at the Brass Tap in Gainesville Florida. The beer is a clear amber, and has an aroma of bananas. It has the taste of a weak beer with artificial banana flavoring added. The two do not work together well and the result tastes like malty cough syrup. The feel is extremely light, to the point that it seems watered down.

This is the worst beer I've had to date and I would not recommend it to anyone.

3.67/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Something to try once, the aroma is pretty accurate and enjoyable. Pours light amber with minimal off-white top. Flavor is a little watery - more malt could really enhance this thing. Finish is fairly clean with some lingering banana. This stuff is okay.

3.37/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 500 mL Bottle

A- Pours an Amber colour with a fizzy 1/2 finger head.

S- Candied, Artificial Banana. Not at all what I was expecting.

T- Banana and bready malt with no observable hop presence.

M- Smooth Medium Body and light carbonation. Good fit for the beer.

O- If I would've got the real banana taste I was expecting, I can tell you that I would have rated the beer higher than a 3.5. I personally love anything Banana flavoured and the artificial aroma was a real disappointment.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

A: medium amber, 1 finger fizzy head 3/5
S: banana, yeast, fruitcake 3.5/5
T: banana, cream, roll cake, malt, light hop presence 3/5
M: smooth, light body, light carbonation, slightly warm 2.75/5
O: was't too bad for a novelty beer but one bottle was enough, dull, too thin 3/5

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd