Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 3,090 |  Reviews: 908

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Yeah this is an Outstanding Beer, have you ever tasted any other like it? Strong Banana Nut smell, and upfront taste. Great dessert beer for special occasions. Something different and fun. Every day...nope. I wouldn't drink a Guinness every day either. I bought it just for fun and that is what I got.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

4.74/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer at a bar called Myngle in Lee's Summit, MO. First thing I noted was that the bottle was large (1-pint) and nicely shaped. The extra beer gave me a real chance to experience the texture and taste individually. I like a beer I can chew, so this flavorful liquid is right up my alley.

- Appearance (4.5/5)
It had a nice copper tone to it that wasn't too vibrant. It looked warm, even in the blue lighting under the bar adjacent to our table.

- Smell (4.75/5)
Bananas. Literally. You may as well have opened a banana right in front of my face and torn it to shreds. And it was a real aroma too, not a fabricated scent like they put in candy. Which leads into...

- Taste (4.75/5)
The taste was the most accurate to the smell I have ever experienced. You know how when you smell coffee it smells robust and amazing, and then a majority of them taste bitter or sour? Sometimes beer can be like that too. (Don't get me wrong I LOVE that. It's the reason I am such a huge fan of IPAs) But this beer was the exact opposite. It hits initially with the alcohol and taste that a fermented liquid should carry then quickly melts back into a savor banana (and bread) flavor.

- Mouthfeel (4.75/5)
The most interesting thing I have to say about this beer is the mouth feel. As previously stated, I like a beer I can chew. When you consider bread you typically think of a chewy soft substance and this beer had it. It is key to not that the beer is called "Wells Banana BREAD Beer", not "Wells Banana Beer". I worried when I ordered it that it would be all banana and no bread. This was not the case. The yeast they chose for fermenting naturally fills in that flavor for you and they did a great job and balancing the warming sensation of bread with the banana flavoring to make an equal and robust experience.

- Overall (4.75/5)
Great experience all around. The only thing that would make it better is if it were served with a warm slice of its namesake.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%