Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 3,078 |  Reviews: 905

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

3.67/5  rDev +4.6%

I had low expectations because I refused to believe that a beer could taste like banana bread and color me impressed because it really does.

A-Drank it out of a opaque bottle so I cant speak for its appearance.

Smell- Bananas of course!

Taste- It tastes like banana bread, seriously.

MF- Surprised to see the pictures of the beer being so light because I felt like I was drinking a much darker beer. Almost stout like creaminess.

Overall- If you like banana bread, bananas, or just sweet beer, give it a try. I am a big fan.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

4.37/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

156 calories per bottle 5.2% ABV. The first time I tasted this I was a bit tipsy but really surprised how well this tasted like banana bread. I wasn't able to sense any bitterness or bad aftertaste. With a fruit flavored beer it likely either has a bad aftertaste or such a strong flavor that you'd only be able to handle one without throwing-up - this one would be able to be consumed in a 6-pack. The taste was not excessively strong and neither unsatisfying to the way it settles in the stomach. I did like this and would like to try again as one of my first beers to be able to truly sense any subtle hints of dissatisfaction. I liked and would buy again, a good choice for the fruit flavored style. The appetence could improve but that is not as big a deal as the taste.

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was an interesting find, Pours a dark amber with a quarter inch of head that quickly dissipates. Smell is exactly what they were going for, banana bread. smells just like a home made banana bread, or like a banana muffin one would have for breakfast, Really nice. Taste is pretty good too. Aroma is of bananas, a slight hop bitterness and a nice spicy malt. Mouthfeel is not quite as full as I would have expected, as I expected something a little sweeter and more pronounced, however this does quite well as it still carries the flavor of beer while bringing forward the banana aromas.

Overall, A pleasant surprise. Worth a try.

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%