Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear yellow-amber pour with a two finger off-white head with decent retention and nice lacing. The smell is exactly what one would expect...banana bread. I was expecting just bananas, but they nailed the bread part as well. The taste follows suit with a really nice, surprising spot-on banana bread flavor. Not artificial at all, and the spiciness of the hops adds a nice twist. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice balance and none of the artificial aftertaste I had expected. And it's not sweet and syrupy, but very sessionable. Overall, this was very surprising. Yeah, it's kind of a novelty, but it's a well made beer and I'm glad I tried it.

3.63/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Amber color with golden notes, the body shows steady carbonation. A single finger of head was produced that retained well but did not lace.

Smell: As advertised, it smells like banana bread. A strong banana nose with a background of walnuts, and mild spices. Doesn't seem very sweet though. Warming helps bring it out slightly.

Taste: Once again, as advertised. It starts with some rather mild malt and then turns into a banana and spiced taste with a touch of bitter hops. It's banana bread beer, there's not a lot more to say, although when I think of Banana bread I think desert, and I wish this one had some more sweeter elements.

Mouthfeel: The aftertaste is pretty mild, despite the spicy notes. It honestly comes across as a bit too smooth. The carbonation is well done and helps out the entire beer.

Drinkability: On the lighter end of medium bodied, but it's a strange beast. I mean, I'd want it as a desert beer, but it's not sweet enough and it is far too weird to be something I'd drink consistently. Settles down well enough and if you weren't getting tired of me saying it, as advertised. How often would you drink banana bread beer?

Final Thoughts: It's a good beer and an interesting experience, but I wouldn't say this is something you'd drink regularly. I actually had it for breakfast one day. Anyways, like a broken record, it's as advertised. If beer is liquid bread, you are going to get mild liquid banana bread.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

3.84/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Banana bread and beer - holy mackerel, what could be better? Well, it wasn't stupendous but it was sure good. From the bottle the beer is an appealing dark amber, pouring a weak head but with good lacing. The smell is distinctly banana - I don't smell much of bread, but definitely banana - which is a pet peeve of mine. If you advertise it one way, it better be that way, oh well that's advertisement for you. The beer however was bold and refreshing, a little too much carbonation for my taste, but still good. I really did enjoy it, a great mixture of malt and banana that mixed perfectly. Overall, it wasn't banana bread, but it was a good banana flavored beer that I think many will like.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%