Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 3,090 |  Reviews: 908

3.54/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a clear amber with light bubbles a thin, loose, off-white head that settles quickly without lacing. The nose has subtle, but detectable notes of ripe banana/bread, seemingly non-artificial smelling, and a touch of yeast and vanilla extract. The banana in the nose doesn't fully translate into the beer's flavor profile, which is more of a bitter amber ale than anything, but does leave traces of lingering green banana in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is relatively thin and light-bodied, sessionable, effervescent, slightly bitter, and leaves a bitter-sweet banana aftertaste. I'd say this is definitely not what I'd expected and could use a bit more body, yeast, and sweetness to really amplify what is a spot on, non-artificial banana nose and taste.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pale bronze body with a medium head; didn't last long

Aroma: Malty sweetness; banana notes

Taste: Creamy; banana flavors throughout; finishes dry and spicy

Remarks: Pretty good overall, but not something I'd drink a lot of.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

2.97/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I had been looking forward to trying this one for some time. I really enjoy banana bread and was curious to see how close to that flavour could possibly be achieved in a beer! I purchased it off the shelf at LCBO at Eastgate Square in Hamilton, ON. I drank it at refrigerated temperature from my Spiegelau tulip. I smelled a hint of banana, but mostly skunk. I tasted nothing that led me to believe that anything close to a banana had ever been near this brew. I got skunk and a whole lot of it. I did get a semi-pleasant malt flavour, bit it was far too covered up by the skunk. Passed it to my fiance, who said although she didn't care for it, she could really taste the banana. Not sure what happened here, perhaps I got a bad bottle, or perhaps my palate was not up to snuff that night. I'd be willing to explore this one again just to see if there's a difference. As it was though, yowza. Not a good yowza, either.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I hate the idea of pouring a beer down the drain. I just don't see the point in being wasteful. I gave this one a solid go, and drank about 80% but that last bit was my first drainpour. Ever.

4.94/5  rDev +39.9%

its banana bred beer in a glass nothing more either you like it or hate i think its perfect taste just like a banana bread i giggle its so good if you like banna bread drink tis beer nothing more to say they capture wht they were going for nothing needs to be said enjoy the berr yes or no i love it so enjoy

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd