Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Liked:
3.53/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,086 |  Reviews: 909

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The color is a wonderful light copper/amber with a big foamy head.

The aroma is great. Sweet bread, big Belgian yeast, banana, light citrus.

The flavor is a bit funny. It has some sweet banana, then a funky yeast, breadiness, and crystal malt. The body is lighter than a “bread” beer. The mix of banana and breadiness reminds me a lot of the Weinhenstephaner Dunkel, but obviously not there.

I ended up making banana bread with most of the beer, which was great. I wouldn’t normally drink it because of its confusing flavor. The aroma is nice at least.

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

2.82/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear amber colour, that resemble other british red ale.

Smells pretty good, even with some artificial sensation that it left after sometime

The taste, is very refreshing, some hops could be felt, with the banana flavour emerging in the end.

With a good carbonation, and a smooth flavour this beer has a good drinkability, but in the end feels like a common beer with a different smell.

I don't intend to repeat this beers for its not feel special to me.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

2.84/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured straight from the 11.2 oz'er.

The pour on this beer was quite pleasing. I'd say a very clear, deep amber/honey color.

Scent on the other hand,was a bit artificial. Banana Taffy anyone?

Taste was similar to the scent, but add a hint of bitterness from the hops.

Mouth feel is average for a "malt" beverage. Easy carbonation and slightly creamy. Long stale/dry finish.

Overall? Well, the fruit/vegetable beer style in general tends to be a little "different" in my opinion, but certainly worth a go round. Can't say I'll be picking this one up again any time soon.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.97/5  rDev +12.5%

Wells Banana Bread Beer ( 5.2% ABV )

Glassware - I've drank this beer many times and personally I like it served in a pint glass despite it's lack of head.

Appearance - A warm medium orange, amber colour but no head to speak of.

Smell - This beers aroma just flows into the room when poured. The scent of overripe Bananas is pervasive. However there is a somewhat artificial tone to the aroma, rather like a Banana bubblegum or milkshake.

Taste - Mild and savoury with sweet fruit notes and just a little hint of spice from the hops. First time drinkers are always surprised at how savoury the Banana Bread Beers taste is compared to the sweetness of it's aroma.

Mouthfeel - Silky and smooth and easy to drink. Very low level of carbonation.

Overall - A mellow, easy going beer that's a pleasure to drink.

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

3.57/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ok, this one has always intrigued me. Today was the first time I tried this beer.

The pour, ok, lets talk banana bread. It had a thick consistency, a balance between the banana and the flour mix. The banana given it more of a goldish amber color.

Just putting my nose into the glass and my senses started to come alive. I was moved into a nice warm kitchen, with fresh banana bread coming out of the oven!

That was what the effects of the aroma of this beer had on me. Then, at the first sip, I was again transported to an earlier time having my first taste of freshly baked banana bread.

It was warm, it filled my entire mouth, it was so round and soft, the ripe taste of bananas come flowing through. Also some hints of cinnamon and perhaps nutmeg.

The finish, ...Ah, all I wished was that I had some butter to put on this banana bread!

A VERY FUN beer.