Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 3,098 |  Reviews: 912
4.27/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Month of March head cold led to laying off tasting any beer until sense & smell returned. I had days to think about which beer I wanted to taste first, and the Charles Wells Banana Bread beer was calling my name.

Ratings and reviews can have the ability of influencing a first impression: low ratings & poor reviews build low expectations, which is why this intruiging beer was somewhat of a pleasant surprize.

Multiple reviewers have been likening the aroma to banana laffy taffy dropped into a beer, but that sells this product short I feel. I'd like to note that bananas have never been a fruit that I have enjoyed by itself, though I have always enjoyed banana flavored foods (pudding,bread, candy,sugary bubble gum from childhood days). The folks at Charles Wells claim to use "freetrade bananas" in their recipe, and fresh bananas are what I smell along with the typical malty attributes when taking in the aroma. I find the banana aroma is evenly balanced with the maltiness of this British import: those claiming the banana aroma/flavor is underdone would likely to be the first to complain if it were stepped up a notch.

Looks like a garden variety British Ale, and it pours like a typical creamy British Ale as well. Carbonation seemed pretty slight to me, and it delivered a malty caramel banana flavor across my palate along with Bavarian soft pretzel dough and just a hint of alcohol detected. I was not blown away by the melding of flavors but it was not unpleasant either.At no point did it taste like an artifically sweetened banana flavor by my account, and I think they did a good job with that aspect of the brew.

I can't imagine too many folks reaching for a second Banana Bread Beer after finishing the first one, but I would like to raise an interesting point at this stage in the review: one other reviewer made the observation that they enjoyed this beer as an in between when switching beer flavors from one to another. The concept is an interesting one because the finest multi course meals I have eaten in my life utilized sorbet to cleanse the palate between courses.

I mention the sorbet/palate cleanser concept because I followed the Banana Bread Beer with a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (my third bottle of the six pack), and found myself completely blown away with the flavor of the sculpin IPA, whereas the first two samples of that same six pack struck me as merely average. Could it be that the Banana Bread Beer sets the palate up for a new beer flavor? Based on my experience, I say it does.Worth a try just for the uniqueness alone.

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

3.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle poured strong into pint glass, but still almost no head and what is there quickly disappears. Small streams of bubbles from underneath through a very clear copper beer.

Nose is almost exclusively banana, as expected, with some nuttiness and bread behind it. I know they use real bananas, but it smells a bit artificial, like a banana flavored ice cream pop.

Flavor is much better than I expected. Initial flavor at least, but it quickly fades and leaves a less appealing aftertaste behind. Better than most fruit beers. Some intriguing pepperiness on the lips.

Mouth feel is really thin, which makes it more drinkable, bit less enjoyable. Would have been better a little heartier and south a more lingering flavor.

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%