Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 3,078 |  Reviews: 905

2.05/5  rDev -41.6%

This was given to me by a friend who heard I liked craft beer. She just picked a bunch of stuff from the craft beer section and this ended up in the bunch. In her defense the other stuff included some Dogfish head stuff, a Dead Guy from Rogue and some other good stuff. Anyway, I'd heard this was bad, and it was. Not as bad as I was expecting, but still, not good. I don't think it was the execution of the beer, but the concept. I hate pretty much anything banana flavored, except bananas themselves, and banana bread. I rank this somewhere between banana flavored candy and real banana bread. Mostly I couldn't handle the smell. Smelled like a banana peel that had been left in a hot car all day. It tasted okish, but the smell was always there. There's that.

3.3/5  rDev -6%

I bought a bottle of Banana Bread Beer in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a rich gold color, clear with a thin white head.

Aroma is all about bananas. Sweet over ripe bananas.

Taste is also a banana flavor up front, with a dry bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp.

Overall not a bad brew, but not something I would want to drink a lot of.

3.82/5  rDev +8.8%

I had tried this beer a few years back, and thought I would give it another try. I remembered it as being very interesting. If you enjoy banana flavored things then you should definitely give it a try.

A: light head that disappeared quickly, hazy orange/amber color

S: distinct banana smell that I enjoyed

T: the banana taste is present right away, and then is replaced by a malt flavor...after swallowing the slight banana taste makes a return

M: it was somewhere between medium and light with not much carbonation

O: it is definitely interesting, the banana taste is definitely present but it isn't overwhelming...I like it but will likely only buy it on occasion when craving something very different

1.5/5  rDev -57.3%

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was looking for something different....out of the ordinary and saw this a couple of weeks back but passed on it. Went back a week later and saw a guy come in and ask for it by name....the staff showed him where it was and he left with a couple of pints and raved about the stuff all the way to the cash register.

The hook was in...monkey see monkey do right! Wasn't expecting much, but this turned out to be better than I expected.

ST-Poured into a frosted pint glass and only got a small 1/4" head with a little bit of lacing as I drank it down.

A- light brown to amber....good color. A lot like a Bass ale in color.

S- I expected a much stronger aroma. You can pick up the smell of bananas, but it's that banana candy smell, not a "real" banana smell. Still pleasant and definitely not overpowering.

T- ok now down to brass tax...the banana taste is definitely unique. However it does sit on the back of your tongue a little bit if you know what I mean....just kinda of lingers there a little too long....like your drunk uncle at a fourth of July party. Good to have around cause he's fun, but at some point you wish he would hit the road!

M- Thin...I would expect more from a beer that likens itself to bread!

O- Not bad as a novelty. Don't think this would be very sessionable. It was definitely the unique brew I was looking. The alcohol content plays a subtle role in the taste with that hint of banana....I might try this again sometime, but don't see this being heavy in my rotation. Definitely worth a try.

3.79/5  rDev +8%

This beer really did have an unusual flavor of banana nut bread. The beer really had a crisp and small flavor profile that was more malt forward than hoppy, but the fruit portion was unusually perfect when compared to banana bread. I wouldn't be able to drink more than one of these in a session, but for an after dinner drink, or a drink to break away from the norm, this one really hit the spot. I was surprised that I did like this, as I didn't think it would be up my alley. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, nor would I say it was a great beer or worth buying if I ever found it in bottles, but it was an enjoyable beer to sip on at a bar with some friends.

this was a very good beer. the pour was perfect and the head was great! the color is almost a caramel/oak color and the smell is that of bananas, caramel, sugar, and nuts. the mouthfeel is nice and smooth, this beer will leave you wanting more. the first sip is full of banana flavor. i would reccomend this beer to anyone that wanted something different.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Small head that quickly became a thin lacy. Copper color.
Aroma predominantly from banana jelly. Good carbonation, above average British beers.
Taste differs a bit, banana is not as present as in the aroma, where malt sweetness in predominant. Medium bitterness. Though banana comes back in the aftertaste.

4.82/5  rDev +37.3%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear, dark golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Minimal amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Strong smell of banana bread.

Taste- Tastes like fresh banana bread in a glass. Just a bit malt peeks through with no hop bitterness whatsoever. Very faint metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a average amount of carbonation. Smooth and slightly creamy.

Overall- I have had this on my wishlist for awhile now and I am very glad I found it, Since I enjoy banana bread I think this beer is delicious. This beer delivers on the promise of its name!

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd