Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 3,075 |  Reviews: 904

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this beer...the aroma, the taste, ahhhh...I love anything banana and banana nut bread is one of my favorite desserts so imagine how excited I was when I saw this on a local pub's beer list. It met every expectation I would have of a banana bread flavored beer. Did not disappoint at all! Not overly fruity or sweet, but it is a dessert like beer. It was nothing short of fabulous!

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

4.12/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a quite transparent red orange with a foamy white head.

The smell is bananna milkshake, very sweet.There's also some spices in there, maybe cloves.

The taste is bananna and malts. It's a little sour and bitter.

The mouth feel is quite light with medium to low carbonation.

This is an interesting beer tastes and smells like a bananna shake. A nice beer for dessert. I don't normally like fruit beers but this is nice and enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.57/5  rDev +1.7%

The pour is a amber color with a decent off-white head.

smells like banana bread. notes of banana, subtle spices, and a light nutty aroma.

Tastes of sweet banana and caramelized sugar flavors, along with a hint of toasted nuts.

Feel was probably the low point of beer... a bit light and on the watery side.

Had low expectations on this beer but actually enjoyed it. tastes like banana bread without being to doughy or malty. don't think I could drink it consistently but liked the experience.

3.44/5  rDev -2%

This brew pours a copper/brown color with very little head which dissapates quickly. No lacing to speak of; heavy carbonation.

The smell is of course, bananas, yeast, bread, sweet malts and peppery hops and a light yeast smell.

The taste follows the nose, there is the taste of bananas followed by peppery hops and a bready/biscuty taste. There might also be some lemon in the brew; not really sure.

The mouthfeel is thin, with heavy carbonation and a little biscuty.

I love banana bread therefore the idea of a banana bread beer interested me. This brew definitely delivers on the bananas, the carbonation is a bit too much. The peppery hops are a nice touch but stronger malts would better balance out the overall taste.

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam adams Sensory pint glass.

A: slightly better than average appearance with about a fingers width of lace white tightly compacted head sits atop a lightly copper colored brew.Soapy looking lacing that does not stick around long and just a touch of head retention.

S: Malty sweetness, bananas, a slight nuttiness and not much hop character to speak of or maybe just a slight peppery spiciness from the hops.

T: Sweetness of the malts shine with a nice touch of banana coming through. The hops play a predominant role in the flavor for me, a little lemon zest and pepperiness that compliments the sweetness nicely.

M: Medium body nice and crisp with a slighty drying effect. Not overly carbonated which is nice so it does not come off as harsh.

O: I have to say I had preconceived notions that this was just going to be a confusing experience for me as I love banana bread and beer but was not convinced that they belong together. This beer has definitely achieved a nice balance of added flavors/adjuncts, malts and hops that in my opinion as a novice homebrewer can be somewhat tricky to pull off. Cheers to Wells for a very enjoyable experience although i do not see myself drinking multiple banana bread beers this one has been an experience I do not seem to be regretting.

Prost!!!

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark golden copper amber with a small head and some lacing. Aroma of ripe banana, fruity with some malt. Taste is of ripe banana, light spicy fruitiness and some mild hops bitterness. Palate is a light body, moderate carbonation. Finish is sweet banana fruitiness, some malt balanced by a light hops bitterness. The banana flavor is not overpowering and not too sweet. Overall a light refreshing sessionable ale.

2.25/5  rDev -35.9%

I got this beer at a local bottle shop that typically pulls in great stuff.

cracked this bottle with a couple friends. They thought I was nuts for grabbing this bottle. It was not a hit with the crowd. I honestly couldn't finish my taster.

I did love the smell of this beer. color looked nice. Co2 was harsh.

4.04/5  rDev +15.1%

Interesting. I like the whole concept how beer is food...aka...liquid bread and this is like banana bread. It was! I could taste the English ale maltyness, fresh hops, and of course the banana....it was tasty and could be paired with anything....real good if you were munching on nuts.

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%