Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Reviews: 878 | Ratings: 3,000
4.59/5  rDev +30.8%

Serving type: Bottle
Appearance: Pretty dark amber short pale head. 4.0
Smell: 5.0 Nailed it. Banana Bread. If you wanted to smell something else why would you buy this?
Taste: 4.5 Again Banana Bread that fade out and back in.
Mouthfeel: 4 Outstanding. Crisp.

Linear, simple, refreshing and tasty.

4.58/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I enjoyed this beer. It pours with good head retention. The smell is sweet with strong nots of banana. The taste is smooth and the banana are obvious on the palate. Feel is slightly carbonated to my opinion but leaves only sweet tones for after taste. Will be getting this again!

4.54/5  rDev +29.3%

My buddy and I love to kick back with a special bottle of this beer. If you're going to have just one, this is a nice choice against the grain.

I get a lot of banana and malt from this beer. Its one I want to try homebrewing, but I am afraid this beer wont disappear for years if I make 5 gallons.

4.54/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy a wide variety of beer flavors, banana flavored beer is quite delicious. It does taste like banana bread in the after taste. Wells offers other flavorful beers for our tastbud pleasure.

4.54/5  rDev +29.3%

After long anticipation (and waiting for a 12 oz size to come in) I was finally able to try this beer being that I love Banana Bread.

When pouring the beer, it's a copper color, and has little to no head.

When opening the bottle immediately you're presented with a strong smell of bananas.

The taste was just like it smelled, like banana's. It made me feel like I was drinking an actual loaf of banana bread.

The mouthfeel was the only down part of this beer as there wasn't much any

Overall this beer is very drinkable and worth the wait. I knew once I opened the bottle that it would be a good one and I would definitely buy again.

4.53/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a nice copper with good carbonation,minimal head that dissipates quickly. Smells of bananas, taste of bananas...I love Bananas.so I love this beer...

4.53/5  rDev +29.1%

appearance: average, but not offensive
Smell: Smells like banana bread! as a result, perfect score ^^
Taste: Tastes delicious and banana like, with some beady notes. so it tastes like banana bread minuets the chocolate chips.

Mouthfeel: It feels offly light. more body would feel more like bannan bread

Overall. It does what it tells you, and does in fact taste bannan bready.
for that, a near perfect score seems right!

check it out any way you can

4.52/5  rDev +28.8%

Saw it at my local liquor mart and had to try it.

Poured the entire bottle on a schooner glass and it appears with an amber color and a white foam head.

The smell is definitely no contradiction to this beer's name- bananas all around. Some hints of clove are possible to detect.

The taste is superb and although it's a lambic beer it could easily become one of my favorite beers.
Again, banana flavor is predominant with little traces of bitterness and very little aftertaste.

Overall, a great tasting beer to share with friends, especially those afraid of hoppier beers.

16.9oz bottle poured into a Perfect Pint glass

Immediately upon pouring, I got a big whiff of bananas. The color is a beautiful caramel amber and a medium-sized head dissipated quickly leaving good lacings in the glass.

The smell is a delicious aroma of ripe bananas and rich malts. I'm picking up some hops, but they're blending into an aroma of brown sugar and cinnamon. It's smells so good, I almost don't want to drink it.

The taste does remind you that this is, in fact, a beer. A slight bit of bitterness on the finish is balanced perfectly with the rich, spiced banana bread flavor. It's not too sweet like I've found some pumpkin beers can tend to be. This is a perfect blend of flavors: malt, hops, ripe fruit and subtle spice.

The mouthfeel is rich without being heavy and this beer is very drinkable. Excellent and highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

I picked this one up at my grocery store. It was expensive but am glad I didn't let the price keep me from picking it up. This beer was much more pleasant than most people (dis)credited it for. This beer was not bitter at all despite other comments I've read about this one. I did experience the banana flavor both in the taste and aroma of this brew. It has a very smooth, well balanced, satisfyingly sweet taste and best of all it didn't leave me feeling woozy or tipsy, at least not yet. Although I've had even better fruit beers in Montana, this is certainly of the better ones you could savor. The current BA Score of this beer at the time of my review is 79, a pity as this is much better than others on here which are highly overrated. As far as the aftertaste goes, no issues as of yet. Would I buy this English brew again? Yes indeed. It's a winner.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

Wow. I loved this beer! Had read the reviews here and expected this to be something you'd have a few sips of and get sick of rather quickly, but not the case. I found the banana flavor to be there for sure, but melded quite well with the ale and not sweet. Just added a nice full, mellow taste and body that was very appealing. Mouthfeel was outstanding. OK, I wouldn't order a 2nd one, but I did fully enjoy the entire large bottle. Had it shipped to me here in the states by a sort of a beer pen-pal in the UK, I'm disappointed I probably won't have this again as you can't find it anywhere that I've seen.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has to be one of my favorite beers, I love bananas so this might be why but it has the perfect color like a orangish darkish copper, and I cant get enough of the taste, this is a beer I will keep around for a while. It smells very fresh and has low carbonation. this one scores to be in my top 5 favorite beers.

4.49/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a copper-orange color with a decent head

T: Backbone of caramel and toasty malt with a faint and pleasant aftertaste of banana

S: Primarily smells of banana

M: Medium mouthfeel

O: A pleasant and very drinkable beer

4.47/5  rDev +27.4%

1st review. Saw this today, had to give it a shot. Pours with very little head or lacing. Smells faintly of banana, not overwhelming the smell but actually enhancing it. Has a nice smooth taste to it, malts up front, with a nice hop aftertaste. Mouthfeel is real good. I could drink this all day, wish I had bought more. If you can find it, try it out.

4.46/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I didn't expect this to be half as good as it actually is. I was more than pleasantly surprised at this high quality beer.

L: Beautiful copper color - 1 finger head with light lacing

S: Sweet yet hearty banana. It's amazing to me that I'm completely able to pick up why they call it banana bread beer instead of just banana beer just by the smell alone.

T: Another shocker - I expected to taste beer and banana flavoring, what I got was this beautiful mixed and flavorful substance that was a party of flavor on the tongue. It's funny, the easiest way I could describe the taste was banana, bread, and beer. Accurate labeling to a T

F: Medium thickness with carbonation that was just right! Very filling, I almost wish it was a tad less filling so I could have a few.

O: This was a beer that I didn't have high hopes for. This was a beer that I assumed would just be some flavored resemblance... an interesting fun thing that you drink once and forget about just to say that you've had it. Instead, this is now a part of the staples that I will continue to buy moving forward and will be a beer that I know I will have cravings for in the future. Although, it probably can an extra .25 or two due to overcoming poor expectations.

4.46/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this beer in a liquor store in Portland(Bum City). Apparently it isn't sold anywhere around me and I am disappointed I only got one of these. The taste for me was as close to banana bread that you can probably get. I didn't think it was too over-sweet like a lot of the brewers tend to do. It actually still tasted like beer. Nice smooth texture. I didn't get to pour this beer as I was in a shitty hotel when drinking so I averaged the look of it. The shocktop banana doesn't even touch this. Solid beer, wish I could find more.

4.45/5  rDev +26.8%

Who would ever think that a banana beer would be so good. I picked up a case just to see how this beer how it taste and was superised.

Serving- From pint bottle

Apperance- Very nice amber brown like banana bread

Smell- Light banana smell

Taste- Very smooth no bitterness, a nice banana taste at the end

Mothfeel- Smooth no bitterness

Drinkability- This is a beer I could just keep on drinking all night long.

Try this beer you will be superised how good it is.

4.44/5  rDev +26.5%

Oh my god, wow! This is so delicious. You think you don't like fruit flavored beers? Don't be lame. You like banana bread, right? This tastes like banana bread. It also smells like banana bread. How can that possibly be bad? Not only that, but the underlying ale is good, too. But this banana taste is just brilliant.

4.42/5  rDev +25.9%

Liquid banana bread? Like mom used to make? Let me at it! I was wary at first with the possiblity of the Runts fake banana taste but I was pleasantly surprised. Taste was literally banana bread tasting. Nutty, real ripe bananas, a hint of nutmeg and nothing overly sweet about it. Quite refreshing in fact. That was was what over powered the brew but it was thouroghly enjoyed.

4.42/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Bought in a 16.9oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

L: Very nice deep orange-brown color and has a borderline champagne-like amount of bubbling going on. (Small bubbles that are constant.) The head poured pretty thin and bright white at first and dispersed very rapidly, which was surprising to me because the beer is actually decently thick. Pouring the final .9oz into my pint glass I pour hard and got a decent head built up, but it still bubbled away quickly.

S: It smells straight up like banana bread to me, I'm loving it. I literally was finding that I was taking huge sniffs of the beer on every sip because the smell was so fantastic.

T: Very banana on the nose and into the middle of the sip. Fades into a peppery hop flavor before ending on a pretty sharp bitterness. (It's really quite sweet and it needs the bitterness, but to me is is a midge over the top on the back end.) Overall, flavor is pretty good. Actually better than I expected. And I am a little biased positively because I love when brewers use peppery yeast and hop strains.

F: It is what I was hoping for after a long day. Smooth and thirst-quenching. As I said, bubbly for sure.

O: Wraps up pretty nicely. Good beer that I would drink it again. (Might be a safe bet if your buying for a picky girlfriend or something too!)

At $6 for a 16.9oz bottle in NH, I can probably find a better value.. But hey, if you're buying then I'm drinking!

4.42/5  rDev +25.9%

fruit beers are my favorite. I like em spicey and sweet. Wells bananabread beer delivers on both counts. The smell is great. It smells as if you're baking banana bread right in your glass. I think over all this beer would appeal to both fruit beer lovers and beer fundamentalists. This is a real beer with real beer flavor and just the right amount of banana and spice flavors. I think the pairing works really well and combines to accomplish something out of the ordinary and great. One of me all time favs.

A: Pours a clear amber color with 2 finger head, good lacing
S: Smells just like fresh banana bread, thats about all really
T: Tastes like banana bread, a little bit of hop bitterness at the end.
M: Moderate amount of carbonation
D: Very pleasantly surprising beer, wasn't sure what to expect from this one but it was very good.

4.42/5  rDev +25.9%

The color when poured was a dark amber brown with a minimal amout of foam, with a fair amount of lace on the side of the glass. The Smell of banana and yeast was evident in the aroma. The taste was of banana, bread yeast and caramel. Nicly balance of sweetness/tartness that made this ale pleasant to drink. This is a very interesting ale that I would buy again and again.

4.42/5  rDev +25.9%

Appearance - Pours a light orange/copper color with an inch thick head that lasts for a couple minutes.. Has thick, creamy looking lacing.

Smell - Exactly like banana bread.. smells delicious. That's all I really can smell.

Taste - Strong flavor of coriander and banana bread. Sweet with ginger, nutmeg, clove, and has a little bit of an alcohol bite at the end. Has a slightly bitter aftertaste..

Mouthfeel - Has a thick body with mild carbonation.

Overall - Definitely something different.. I'm glad I tried this. It doesn't taste like the smell but it's still good.

4.4/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer for those who like bananas - the taste and aroma were right on. It has a very nice, subtle flavor and very appetizing color. The mouth feel was a bit light, but it is very drinkable.

Overall, I would buy again and make it a regular in my rotation.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd