Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Reviews: 880 | Ratings: 3,008
4.4/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer for those who like bananas - the taste and aroma were right on. It has a very nice, subtle flavor and very appetizing color. The mouth feel was a bit light, but it is very drinkable.

Overall, I would buy again and make it a regular in my rotation.

4.4/5  rDev +25.4%

Perhaps earlier, unfavorable reviews were due to the clear bottle in the photo? I just poured a glass out of a brown bottle and was quite pleased. This may be the second fruit beer that I have ever liked.

Appearance>Clear, lively, small head dissipates quickly, no lacing.

Smell>Bananas, hops and burnt sugar. Excellent

Taste>Bitter start, hop punch, smoothes out with a resiny hang... But all the while there is an overlying (and not overpowering) layer of fresh baked banana bread. I think it's grand.

Mouf> Just okay

Drinkability> Sure!

4.39/5  rDev +25.1%

Wow, what a find!

A: Okay appearance, pour out of a bottle into a small glass. Little amount of head.

S: Smelled awesome, nuts and banana bread..

T: GREAT! Had a really good upfront banana bread flavor, with a good nut ale back taste

D: Drank surprisingly well, couldn't drink a ton but could have 2 or 3

Loved this beer, awesome taste. Will drink it again but not often seeing the 9 dollar pricetag was a little much

4.38/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Goes down smooth, and has a nice hint of banana flavor throughout. The taste is robust and refreshing. This beer kicks into gear right away and I would recommend it to anyone and would purchase it again for myself. It has a slight bitter taste so most chicks wouldn't dig it, however I don't mind this flavor one bit at all! It comes in a 500 ml bottle so it won't leave me too much more room to rate any other beers tonight but thats ok with me. This is a nice beer. I have a British heritage however, so I have a slightly biased opinion ;)

4.37/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

156 calories per bottle 5.2% ABV. The first time I tasted this I was a bit tipsy but really surprised how well this tasted like banana bread. I wasn't able to sense any bitterness or bad aftertaste. With a fruit flavored beer it likely either has a bad aftertaste or such a strong flavor that you'd only be able to handle one without throwing-up - this one would be able to be consumed in a 6-pack. The taste was not excessively strong and neither unsatisfying to the way it settles in the stomach. I did like this and would like to try again as one of my first beers to be able to truly sense any subtle hints of dissatisfaction. I liked and would buy again, a good choice for the fruit flavored style. The appetence could improve but that is not as big a deal as the taste.

4.35/5  rDev +23.9%

Serving type 12 oz bottle

Golden slightly bubbly

Smell slight hint of bread and banana

Taste Just like Banana Bread Very yummy

mouthfeel light

When I got this beer I never heard of Wells brewing company. Looking at the name banana bread beer my first thoughts were this mite be to sweet to swallow but I have been fooled before. This beer was amazing very impressed a great dessert beer.

4.34/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wells & Young's Ltd - Wells Banana Bread Beer, poured into a Craftgeer snifter.

I wanted to make a note that the ones I snagged were three months past the best by date, while that could have slightly impacted appearance I do not feel that it impacted anything else per se, but it is worth mentioning because certain flavors/aromas may be slightly different based on freshness.

Look - Pours amber with ruby and orange tinge and mostly clear with a thin foamy head that vanishes quickly. Chunks and rings of lacing on the glass.

Smell - Quite literally, banana bread and almost like a lager quality behind it, bready (get it?).

Taste - Lager and spice intro and then a sweet banana creme pie comes in after, ends creme for sure.

Mouthfeel - Sits slightly sweet but not cloying (to me anyway). Zero booziness and great drinkability, could drink this all day. Lager bready edge gives this a beer feel that helps it to not be overly fruity.

Overall - Amazing brew, I am a sucker for anything banana and this really did the trick. Would recommend to banana fans and those who have a sweet tooth, otherwise it might just join the ranks of fruit beers that most beer drinkers don't enjoy.

4.34/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear, dark golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Minimal amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Strong smell of banana bread.

Taste- Tastes like fresh banana bread in a glass. Just a bit malt peeks through with no hop bitterness whatsoever. Very faint metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a average amount of carbonation. Smooth and slightly creamy.

Overall- I have had this on my wishlist for awhile now and I am very glad I found it. As a lover of banana bread I think this beer is delicious. I hope it stays a regular at my local liquor store.

4.32/5  rDev +23.1%

Had this in a 16 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a gorgeous looking amber with about 2 fingers of cream colored foam.

S: When pouring from the bottle, I actually smelled banana bread. This astounded me and might have been my favorite part of the beer.

T: Taste follows closely with the smell, though not as strong of a banana bread taste as the smell would have you believe, it still gave a solid delivery on its name sake.

M/D: Nice and smooth, exceptionally drinkable. Absolutely loved this one.

4.32/5  rDev +23.1%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a clear golden-amber hue with a thick, 2-finger, white head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace leaving a nice trail down all the way down the glass.

S: Crisp clean banana aroma.

T: Smooth slightly sweet and bitter flavor with a toffee and banana overtones. Has a dry tangy finish with decent hop flavor.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This brew pleasantly surprised me. You hear bananas and cringe a little – but this was really good. Nice balance with the banana and the hops.

4.32/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from their 1 pint .9 oz bottle found at the local Wegmans. Pours a nice amber color, distinct banana smell. They certainly got the banana bread taste down here. Nice malty finish, typical English ale. If flavored beer is thing or even just occasionally, I highly recommend this beer. Plus, at 5.2% alcohol, a good kick with the flavor.

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer pours a nice clear dark amber color, with an off white head and light lacing.

The beer smells like banana-flavored candy.

The taste is just an explosion of banana sweetness. There's s faint malt/hop presence in the finish but this is all banana, and faint caramel which is awesome.

Mouthfeel is medium, tangy, sweet.

Overall, just a delicious fun beer. Why does it have an avg score of 79? Do beer snobs really have other banana beers to compare this to?

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%

Very nice malt flavor. Banana flavoring added, but definitely not overpowering. Definitely something you could pair with a meat, potatoes, gravy style meal. Here in Wisconsin, we'd call this a "supper club" beer.
NOT for the hoppy IPA enthusiast...

4.27/5  rDev +21.7%

On pour got a very fizzy drink, a lot of carbonation. When it settled down a decent sized frothy head appeared, looked decent. Head looks good, nice and creamy looking.

Head does die a little and there is some slight lacing.

The colour was dark amber, with a tint of red, and overall the beer looks the part…..

The aroma is of…..well, bananas!

Lovely clear, fruity smell, gorgeous, and I dont even like bananas, ha ha! Strong but not overpowering, very pleasant and very tempting.

Smells of banana bread, with a hint of toffee……

Taste: Well it does exactly what it says on the tin, its all banana

A beer with banana, tastes like beer with banana! But its lovely, very smooth, doesn’t taste a lot like beer at all. Very sweet, but still smooth enough to drink. A bit of caramel noted as well.

At first I thought the alcohol content of 5.2% wasn’t apparent, but I think it does kick in near the end.

Everyone in the house had a try, went down a storm, all liked it.

There is a slight hoppy aftertaste that is a bit urgh, and it could do with more body, but overall very smooth. It is different, so hats off to the brewers for trying something new, refreshing and all good. I am not sure you could down a lot of these in a session, but definitely would be great to sip on a hot day. Recommended, and looking forward to trying this beer out again soon.

4.27/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - A nice light amber color though it has very poor head retention

S - Smells like bananas!

T - A strong taste of banana that isn't overwhelming and a nice hint of vanilla. Not overly sweet which is a definite plus.

M - Crisp, low carbonation, but delightful.

D - Very easy to drink. I am not a big fan of fruit beers and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this beer.

Will definitely buy again!

4.27/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Month of March head cold led to laying off tasting any beer until sense & smell returned. I had days to think about which beer I wanted to taste first, and the Charles Wells Banana Bread beer was calling my name.

Ratings and reviews can have the ability of influencing a first impression: low ratings & poor reviews build low expectations, which is why this intruiging beer was somewhat of a pleasant surprize.

Multiple reviewers have been likening the aroma to banana laffy taffy dropped into a beer, but that sells this product short I feel. I'd like to note that bananas have never been a fruit that I have enjoyed by itself, though I have always enjoyed banana flavored foods (pudding,bread, candy,sugary bubble gum from childhood days). The folks at Charles Wells claim to use "freetrade bananas" in their recipe, and fresh bananas are what I smell along with the typical malty attributes when taking in the aroma. I find the banana aroma is evenly balanced with the maltiness of this British import: those claiming the banana aroma/flavor is underdone would likely to be the first to complain if it were stepped up a notch.

Looks like a garden variety British Ale, and it pours like a typical creamy British Ale as well. Carbonation seemed pretty slight to me, and it delivered a malty caramel banana flavor across my palate along with Bavarian soft pretzel dough and just a hint of alcohol detected. I was not blown away by the melding of flavors but it was not unpleasant either.At no point did it taste like an artifically sweetened banana flavor by my account, and I think they did a good job with that aspect of the brew.

I can't imagine too many folks reaching for a second Banana Bread Beer after finishing the first one, but I would like to raise an interesting point at this stage in the review: one other reviewer made the observation that they enjoyed this beer as an in between when switching beer flavors from one to another. The concept is an interesting one because the finest multi course meals I have eaten in my life utilized sorbet to cleanse the palate between courses.

I mention the sorbet/palate cleanser concept because I followed the Banana Bread Beer with a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (my third bottle of the six pack), and found myself completely blown away with the flavor of the sculpin IPA, whereas the first two samples of that same six pack struck me as merely average. Could it be that the Banana Bread Beer sets the palate up for a new beer flavor? Based on my experience, I say it does.Worth a try just for the uniqueness alone.

4.26/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- A nice caramel, autumn like color. A paper thin head remains thoughout the beer.

S- Bananas and clove (like with a wheat beer), and a big nuttiness. Duh, it smells like fresh baked banana nut bread.

T- Just like the name. Only thing I can say about the taste is there is a smaller presence of nuttiness than was given from the smell. Has that toffee-ish sweetness to it, but the sweet tatste is not overpowering. The beer has a fairly carbonated feel to it. Very smooth going down and has a great drying finish like the bread it's name after does.

M- A little too smooth and carbonated, but isn't all that heavy (which is a plus).

D- The sweetness and carbonation of the beer doesn't make this beer very drinkable to me, but I could drink a couple in a row very easy without struggle.

*- Overall, I have a confidence now in whatever the Wells & Young's Ltd Brewing Company does. This beer is called Banana Bread Beer, and truely lives up to that title. Great beer that would be great with your Sunday brunch, or with desserts like Pumpkin or Peacon Pies. EXCELLENT BREW!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was very leary about this one but part of me was compelled to try it. I must say, it's not that bad. Poured it into your normal pint glass. The color is golden brown. Nice smell & taste of fresh bananas. The wheat taste wasn't overpowering. Only downside was it didn't keep its chill very long (could have been the person's fridge I was using). That partly messed with the taste. I would try another & recommend this to a friend.

4.26/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours a light amber color with little head and little lace.

Wow intense bannana smell can also pick up the sweet bready smell.

Damn that is bannana bread! Intense bannana taste. Bannana lovers this is your beer. Slightly bready and smooth. Gave this the highest marks because it really taste like bannana bread.

Surprise this is smooth with a hell of a bannana after taste. Could not shake the bannana taste from my mouth. Would never have more than one of these.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is awesome. Pours a copper with a slight red tint, minimal head. The smell is spicy banana, with breads malts and some toffee behind. The taste is just what it should be. Tastes just like banana bread with just enough alcohol to know your drinking beer. Very on point. Some slight clove flavors as well, definitely Belgian yeast used. A good change up or dessert beer if you can get it fresh.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Clear amber, a good amount of carbonation is visible. Thin off-white head, some webs of lacing.

S: Banana bread. Banana, wheat, nuttiness. Warming and mouth-watering, if a little weak.

T: Banana bread. Buttery wheaty banana bread, even encompasses some walnut notes. Overall sweet, but nowhere near cloying. No spicy hops like the label advertises, but I'm happy about their absence.

M: Medium carbonation, medium to thin body, but perfectly matched with the flavors- so easy drinking. I don't understand people who say they could (only) down 2 of these without a problem- I'm in danger of finishing my entire 4-pack.

O: It would be easy to fall short or go overboard with a liquid recreation of banana bread, but this one hits that in-between perfectly. Not a beer for Reinheitsgebot-followers, but for beer or baking enthusiasts, this is highly recommended.

4.24/5  rDev +20.8%

Thanks again to the Bier Stein for having this in stock.

Poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A: Medium brown with lots of little carbonation bubbles. Nice lacing throughout the glass.

S: Smells like bananas and some faint cinnamon.

T: Banana is very pungent throughout. It reminds of the banana Runts candy. Very tasty.

M: Great flavor of banana and very bready. Almost like a banana bread. Not too boozy imo.

D: Worth trying once, but I wouldn't drink more than one in one sitting. Very recommended for people who enjoy fruity beers.

4.24/5  rDev +20.8%

A nice chance of beer style for me this one. My wife bought it for me a few years ago as a joke, however we both now enjoy a bottle of this from time to time, but I can't get it locally anymore (arrgh!!!).

The beer pours an amber-light bronze colour with a head that shrinks pretty quickly. It settles to a 1mm film, but by the end of the pint this is non-existant.

The aroma is (surprise surprise) mainly dominated of bananas. There is also a good deal of hops and a slight variety of spices along with the banana. This theme carries through to the taste where once again the hops and banana are dominant. The banana reappears again as a very pleasant aftertaste.

There is a medium to light mouthfeel with this beer, however I think if it had any more then it may make the pint a bit sickly. However as it is it is VERY drinkable. Don't simply buy one bottle of this pleasant, refreshing fruit beer or you will be very disappointed.

4.24/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

thanks to imstillthegman for this beer, via Scrabble Bif

A - this fruit beer pours a delightful golden brown, it wells up a thin tan head that dissipates rapidly to a rimming lace, looks a bit fizzy without being frothy

S - well, unsurprisingly, it smells like banana bread, but not overly spiced and/or fruited like many fruit beers, overall it is a hoppy beer with a decent background malt profile, with an additional alcohol twang

T - the hop/malt balance is quite good, with the banana breadiness quite subtle, yet poignant, a well balanced overall soft flavor, quite nice

M&D - one of the better fruit beers i have ever had, not overpowering, not underflavored, a great beer, if you can get this, definitely try it

4.24/5  rDev +20.8%

poured a nice clear light brown color with very little head that disaperd quickley. this smelled like the kitchen while my mom bakes banana bread. this was sweet in the begining and malty at the end with a great banana flavor all the way through. this is a beer that i would love with sunday breakfast, eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, a cinniman rool, some oj and one of theese beers. the purfict start to football day!

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd