Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

2.6/5  rDev -26.3%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Nov'12 on tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. I mixed it w/some Young's Chocolate Stout (an old friend) & was a bit disappointed as I thought it would be a marriage made in heaven. Reality it was interesting but nothing to write home about...hence this entry.

I guess I'll leave the blending to the brewers.

07/18/12 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. I like this beer. May be sweet for some, but I don't mind that one bit. Clever & well made. Worthwhile. Maybe not 2 in a row, but I'll have another before I leave.

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

3.64/5  rDev +3.1%

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%

3.92/5  rDev +11%

3.51/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The bananas in the nose might suggest a tradition hefe, but there's enough malt and sugar underneath to say otherwise; it's more like a banana Popsicle. The taste is lightly toasted malt with ripe bananas and just a hint of light caramel in the finish. Good carbonation give the body a nice structure to enjoy drinking. If you like a banana-taste profile and want more malt and body than a hefeweizen typically provides, this could be an option.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd