Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 3,079 |  Reviews: 905
3.49/5  rDev -0.6%

I am away from The CANQuest (TM) for a short time, bottle be back to it in quick order, I assure you.

From the bottle: "Long ago, ale was known as 'Liquid Bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fairtrade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer."; "An inspired brew made with our natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. tempting Banoffee [?] aromas & flavours are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops."

Recipe for Banana Bread: Take two large milk jugs and one fur-lined mixing bowl. Manipulate all until mixing bowl is well-greased. Insert banana. Remove banana. Repeat until banana is soft and mixing bowl is filled with fresh cream. CAVEAT: If bread begins to rise, leave town IMMEDIATELY, leaving no forwarding address.

What a buncha monkey business ... Banana Bread Beer, indeed! I remember the first time I made banana bread - it was in Home Ec (Foods 1), just before the Thanksgiving break. It was astounding! We had it with our dinner, slathered with butter and I can taste it even today. Thank you, Mrs. Minnich, for a project that projects itself into my latest passion.

The beer peeled out of the bottle at a speed unrivaled by any CANned beer. It really took me by surprise, so I got yellow and ran away until it had a chance to settle. The head was a puffy, pillow-y two-plus fingers of thick, yellow-white head that held in until a big exhalation of CO2, when it fell all at once. By Gar, I can smell bananas everywhere! Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Now, if you thought BUPGOO! was wrong in being marketed to the kiddies, this is so far afield that I cannot believe that it exists. I am going to see if my current beau (she from "Cabaret" - 'If You Could See Her') approves. She does! Oh, my darling monkey. Wait, I see a monkey with a bomb! It's Inspector Clouseau yelling about "A minkey with a bimb!" or somesuch. These Brits ... it's so hard to tell what they're on about at times. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, so maybe he was saying something about it being thin. Why can't the British speak English? It's so confounding! Now, it's "Planet of the Apes" - Get your hands off of my banana beer, you damn dirty ape! It's irresistible to the simian set, apparently. Have you ever seen Woody Allen in "Bananas"? He sports a Che/Fidel beard that lends itself to my nickname. Taste was as advertised - bananas with a hint of caramel. Finish was very banana and if I liked bananas, that would be a good thing. The hops monkey on my back nodded in agreement.

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

A - A brilliant golden brown shade of ale with a moderately full head of white that declines quickly after decanting leaving sufficient lace.

S - Nice fruity banana with mildly bready malt scent. A gentle nutty essence is present in the nose.

M - A subtle sweet lighter bodied ale with a smooth clean feel.

T Sweet, ripe bananas and nutty banana bread flavor with hints of brown sugar and a pleasant ale undertone that makes it tast like a decent ale and not a dessert or strictly sweet fruit beer. a Nice tropical essence that doesn't overpower or give the impression of extract banana - tastes like real fruit.

D - a great ale to mix or compliment chocolate, but not cloying. Fruity but just enough to fit the style. I would try it any time I might be feeling a little "bananas"

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

A: The pour is a golden amber color with plenty of carbonation and a nice off-white head.

S: What can I say, it smells like banana bread. Sweet banana, subtle spices, and a light nutty aroma to it as well as some bready base malts.

T: There is a slight bitterness to the flavor that I wasn't completely expecting, but otherwise it (again) is quite reminiscent of banana bread. Sweet banana and caramelized sugar flavors, along with a hint of toasted nuts.

M: The body is medium and the carbonation is a bit on the high side, which was actually sort of welcomed.

D: I was not expecting too much from this beer, to be completely honest. However, I really enjoyed it. It did indeed taste like banana bread and was not cloying or overly artificial.

3.23/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served in a plastic tumbler.

I've tried this seeming oddity before, but haven't been able to remember much about it. 'Til now. It pours a clear golden straw topped by a finger of light dirty white foam. The nose comprises wheat, nutmeg, light cinnamon, and rye bread. So far it seems to live up to its name. The taste brings in the same elements, along with some raisins and a touch of fake banana flavor, not entirely unlike that found in certain yellow Runts (full disclosure: it's my favorite flavor of Runt, but it doesn't quite do it for me here). The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, a pretty nice beer, nothing really outstanding by any stretch, but it could have been bone-chillingly worse given the desired final product.

3.79/5  rDev +8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Trying the wells and young banana bread beer at the Pie Factory in Florance, AL. The beer poured a clear copper with virtually no head and no lacing. The scent is definitely banana bread. The taste has a lighter malt base with banana and hints of spice (clove).The m outhfeel is lighter in body with subtle carbonation. Overall the beer hits the mark as far as taste. ..but one is enough for me.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

I've passed buy this a thousand times on the shelf in the past, today curiosity got the best of me.
Pours a clear deep amber color with a modest head that displays decent retention and fair lacing. Smells like banana's all right. Slightly sweet malty aroma deep behind and hints of spices like nutmeg and all spice. There's a beer under there somewhere, but for me only a swirling of the glass brings it through the banana onslaught. Taste is a hint more beery. Sweet candy sugar and light grainy malt mixed with banana's. Smooth sweet almost creamy mouthfeel, moderate level of carbonation with a medium body. I kind of enjoyed this, although It's not something I would have all the time. Extra credit for thinking outside the box.

3.59/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Medium Brown body with low retention tan head.

S - Of course this beer smells like banana. It's more like banana laffy taffy (fake banana) but it still smells good. Slightly nutty/grainy smell as well.

T - The taste of banana is not as trong as the smell of it in this one. It does taste a bit nutty, slightly sweet and slightly bitter.

M - This one is more on the carbonated side and not terribly smooth. Same mouthfeel as any other traditional ale.

D - Pretty easy to drink but nothing standing out enough to make me want two. This beer is good but doesn't have anything unique about it aside from that mild banana smell and taste.

Notes - This one is worth trying. It's different and a good unique flavor experience.

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New 11.2 oz bottle super fresh stuff best by 4/20/11. Pours a deep amber copper hue with a bright off white cream colored head. Fine speckled lacing scattered on the sides of my chalice. Nose is straight up banana syrup, with some sweet underlying caramel malts. Flavor actually has a balanced level of sweetness, upfront though it's banana split/banana fosters with a dry finish and nice mineral water character. I've passed on this for quite some time, glad I tried it. There's a nice banana flavor that comes through with caramelized sugars bringing dessert like notions to mind. Mouthfeel is medium bodied carbonation is mellow nothing heavy or harsh. The sweetness is initially a bit cloying but it fades nicely on the back end of the palate. Drinkability overall is decent something that will peak the interests of non beer folks, but not something I want to session with.

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a moderate amber/dark copper color with a quarter of an inch of dense, foamy, white head that has great retention. The nose is faint; mild clove spice and even fainter banana. The flavor is mild, sweet up front with a little caramel, followed by some mild banana and spice. The mouthfeel is a little thin but the carbonation is just right.

Overall, this is a good beer. The banana is rich and impacts the flavors in a positive way. The body and flavor could be better, but considering there aren't many beers with this flavor profile out there I really enjoyed it.

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pt., 3.25 oz. bottle:

Pours orangeish golden with a fluffy white head. Some trailing lace slides down the glass.

The smell is of banana and raw sugar. (Not much of the bread aspect in the aroma, though there is some in the back.)

The taste is of banana - lightly sugar-coated. Bready undertones. The banana is not overwhelming as a whole, but it does dominate over the bread. Nutty tones mesh with the breadiness more than the banana does. Rather than a banana bread, as I expected, it seems to me to be more of banana candy with nutbread. Some metallic tinges are noticeable, but border negligible. Banana hangs on well into the aftertaste.

The body is on the lighter side of medium. It has enough creaminess to make it smooth.

This is interesting enough to try once. I can't say it misses the mark completely, though I do with that the banana and bread came together more completely while retaining some of the nutty quality to give it some depth. Anyway, the flavors alone are all there, and not bad at all. It's easy to drink, but it would take a true banana lover to reach for more than one. "Gimmicky" kept running through my mind, but better than many other "gimmicky" beers - fruity or not - that are out there.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd