Wells Banana Bread Beer | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Long ago, ale was known as 'liquid bread'. We've used our long history of creating the finest malt blends & added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer.

An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water & fairtrade bananas. Tempting Banoffee aromas & flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend & the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.

Added by rastaman on 08-15-2002

Liked:
3.53/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,087 |  Reviews: 908
3.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Being a fan of the banana flavors in hefeweisen and after having enjoyed Mongozo, this seemed like a logical choice.
My local store just started carrying this and it appears as though the bottle has been re-worked a little. Since there's no date anywhere to be found, I'll assume it's fairly fresh.
Pours golden amber color with a decent head that dissipates pretty quickly.
The smell is really sweet and definitely has a strong banana presence. It reminds me a lot of the Mongozo I tried in Amsterdam, but it's warmer and has a little vanilla mixed in.
Taste starts like a British bitter, then the banana flavors come out a little once it rolls to the back of your tongue. The finish is very bready and yes, there's even a little bit of a golding-esque hop finish. It's not as sweet as I expected, but the banana essence is definitely there. It's more in the smell than the flavor, as the taste reminds me more of fresh bread. There's also a little bit of spice mixed in. I'm not sure if it's from the fruit or if it was added, but it almost reminds me a little bit of a pumpkin ale.
It's pretty drinkable, but a little thicker than I like. I had no issues polishing off the .75L bottle and I could potentially drink another, but I'm not sure I'll hunt this out again.
Pretty good, and it might make a nice in-between beer when you're at a pub and looking to mix things up. Not great, but not bad either.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

3.84/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

4.01/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.07/5  rDev +15.3%

a: dark amber with a thin ring of foam , not much carb, kinda flat.

s: picked up points for smell. strong bananna, bready yeast, some spice and a little alochol back there to remind you that this is a beer.

t: like liquid bananna bread. kinda weird having that in liquid form.

m: thin and flat. reminded me of a wheatwine.

o: worth it. not what i expected, but better.

3.14/5  rDev -11%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

This rates out higher than I intended because I really enjoyed the aroma, which was a sweet candy scent that reminded me of a banana popsicle. Other than that, the pour was a medium golden color with thin white head that dissipated quickly to little lacing. Body was thin and dry, and the flavor, while slight banana, was nowhere near what the nose was. What there was tended to be more uncooked banana dough, and not bread. Finish was a bit stale and dry, and did not give the sweet banana finish that I experience from banana bread.

Cute idea, but nothing to write home about.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

Reviewed 7/17/2007 (19.25oz bottle, BB 30/11/07):

Pours a golden brown color, fizzy, with a big white lasting foamy head. Very strong ripe banana aroma, a little hops, but mostly bananas. Banana malty taste, banana aftertaste. Bottled water taste. Not much else. Interesting, but this will be my last.

Wells Banana Bread Beer from Wells & Young's Ltd