Young's Special London Ale | Wells & Young's Ltd

Young's Special London AleYoung's Special London Ale

Wells & Young's Ltd
England, United Kingdom
wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-14-2001

Liked:
3.94/5
Alströms:

4.54/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The first time I tried this I want really sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it and vowed to have it again someday. A few months later and I'm drinking my second bottle.

Upon pouring it gave a large foamy head which went down to about a finger. The body was a hazy amber. Moderate citrus aroma and taste with a sweet spiciness, almost a marmalade like flavour with a spicy, bitter dryness from the liberal use of hops. Mouthfeel is perfect - just the right amount of fulness and carbonation for the style. The result is a cross between a traditional British bitter and modern crafty American pale ale, although I'm not sure if that was the intention.

All in all, I'll confess I've not always been blown away by Young's brewery in the past, not because their beer is bad but simply not that memorable either. This is a clear exception, and well worth seeking out if you enjoy traditional English ale with a bit more omph than usual.

2.8/5  rDev -28.9%

3.64/5  rDev -7.6%

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

Citrus, floral, nice hops, lively small bubbles.

I can't believe this is 6.4 abv, more quaffable than any session beer I can think of.

I do like this brewery, but this surpassed my expectations.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Looks amazing. Highly carbonated due to bottle conditioning. Deep orange marmalade colour. Spectacular lacing and 3 dimensional foam right to the end. Smells like candied fruit. A rather Belgian smell in fact. Similar to a tripel or Belgian strong pale ale.. The taste is more candied fruit with spicy peppery hops. Floral to an extent and perfectly balanced. A little bitterness is present but it's wrapped in a yeasty fruity sweet parcel. This is super tasty but easy drinking with a nice abv that pushes the top end of "moderate". Warming and spicy. Hard to categorise. A great example of a modern British bottle conditioned ale.

My mark out of one hundred would be 82.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%