Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,785 |  Reviews: 2,371

Overly sweet. Cloying. Disgusting. Vomit inducing.

I love a GOOD chocolate stout; ie: Brooklyn Brewery's seasonal - Black Chocolate Stout.

However, this stuff is foulness personified. People can moon on about the composition and characteristics but what matters is the taste. This beer should be poured down the drain. You couldn't pay me to drink this crap.

1.08/5  rDev -73.1%

1.72/5  rDev -57.2%

Yuck: Another that I had high hopes for, but ultimately was extremely disappointed with. Looked decent in the glass, with a nice head, lacing, and dark brown color. Taste was disappointing to say the least. No sweetness; no chocolate; just a relatively thin non-descript and somewhat bitter dark beer. Looked towards the kitchen sink a couple of times, but did manage to finish. Big let down.

1.72/5  rDev -57.2%

Had a very outputting smell and taste.

1.74/5  rDev -56.7%

I'd rather drink a 40 of old english.

I was served this beer on accident basically, as the bartender allegedly (he didn't) tried to inform me that they were out of the Bells Expedition that I was ordering. It came about 58 degrees, and was quite disgusting. Maybe its the symptom of unknowingly picking up the empty milk carton from the fridge door, maybe its the symptom of being unknowingly served a glass of warm yoohoo guiness and a splash of coors original and samuel smith and simple syrup which has been whipped to enhance the milky bubbly texture.

In all honesty, I am being harsh, but I suffered through it. Wait no I didn't. I took about 5 ever-shrinking sips and then asked for my money back, but that wasn't happening, so the glass sat all alone in no mans land on the bar, looking just pitiful as I ordered proper beer all around it. The function of that beer until close was a general obstacle, maybe a drunk-o-meter.

In all fairness I think basically adding ice would help out the effect in my situation, and in retrospect I wish I had tried it. Maybe some tobasco as well, and a raw egg. Now, I suspect I don't like milk stouts to begin with, especially the darkies. THAT is an aquired taste, very British. I don't know one milk stout done by the great American brewers, ie Russian River, Founders, Bells, Stone.. and that's a large number of beers. Anyhow, I will make an effort to try it in a can/bottle. and make sure its near frozen to start, and I will work to be more open to the style, as I suspect it's very good at what its trying to be. Also, there's a chance that my glass or the tap lines were dirty or polluted somehow.

Yes, if the guy would have exchanged my glass of Double Chocolate for a OE 40, i would have taken him up on it.

Also, I've had TWO friends get stuck with the moo thunder, and I will bet that that's far worse. I hear its epically rough. I want to do a side by side comparison and I will modify my review if necessary. If not, a 40oz backup plan is fairly cheap.

1.85/5  rDev -54%

Very thin and watery with low carbonation and some kind of ball in the can.
Taste is nothing special, very sweet cheap flavor

"ale with natural chocolate flavor added"

Carbonation is virtually non-existent after drinking 1/2 the can.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd